Do I need a touring plan? And should I panic about crowds?

I make one so I know what rides to hit at rope drop, but I never use it in the park. We use MDE to check for short wait times and go to those rides. We also will use FPP for every ride that offers it, so sometimes the line doesn’t matter. I’m an over-planner, but I’ve learned with Disney to not sweat it, you’ll have a great time whether you do 2 rides or 20.

3 Likes

I completely agree with this and am excited to see her face when we walk under that train trestle and she sees the castle for the first time - that will be what I remember forever, I’m certain.

3 Likes

This will probably be what I end up doing. I just want to get on a few must-rides and then I don’t care much after that, I don’t think. I have most of my ADRs and will have (presumably) some FPPs, and as long as my DH can ride Haunted Mansion a few times we’ll all be happy. I just want DD to have a nice time.

I didn’t realize you could re-optimize in the park. Thanks! I am right now setting touring plans to half of the park at a time, specifically in MK, so that we get to things but don’t get completely wiped out.

1 Like

AMEN! You will remember the “unplanned” things

1 Like

From someone who has learned

1 - Temper your expectations. KNOW you will sometimes be long lines
2 - Remember you are there to spend good time with the ones you love
3 - Fun comes in all shapes and sizes and isn’t always in the form of a ride
4 - you WILL remember those things that just “happened”
5 - just keep looking at the app and see what the lines are like when you are in the park and adjust to whatever

DON’T OVERPLAN. This coming from a type A, crazy planner - use this time to enjoy

4 Likes

I have been to Disney a few times and am definitely CERTAIN some lines will be long!! :slight_smile:

Thanks for these reminders, definitely true. I like planning a lot, but it stresses me out. I’m glad ADRs are over so I can relax for a long while.

HA

Just finished up planning trip for London. I kept wanting to purchase tickets etc. Wife continues to temper it by “Chill - lets keep things open. Its ok if we wait a bit here and there. We may want to do something else” - I know she is right

I was in WDW last year during the same week. I really only noticed the crowds during two of the days. We took a mid day break once it started to get crowded and would come back to the parks around 4-5 for dinner and the afternoon. That worked great for us.
I really wanted to us TP’s but my sister was completely against it because she thought it would not be “fun” to have a plan lol. I used it one day and it worked great but my other days were great with out it too.
Just strategize your FPP’s the right way and try and pick up extras after. I also used the easywdw maps (http://www.easywdw.com/easy/cheat-sheets/disney-world-cheat-sheets-maps-touring-plans-and-wait-times-4/) . They have the attractions colored by what time to ride them. Also keep an eye on wait times before you run around the park.
You will be just fine! Good luck! :smiley:

3 Likes

Did you mostly notice crowds on Thursday and Friday? I am assuming those days would be the worst. We fly out on Saturday the 11th so I am not concerned about the crowds that day.

Actually it was Sunday the 6th and Monday the 7th. Not really sure why. Also the CL’s were way off. I honestly feel like its luck if its crowded or not sometimes. You will be just fine though! Just use common sense… don’t get in line for 7DMT at 2pm lol.

Ooooh great link! After scouring these sites obsessively this is the first time I’ve seen this! Thank you!

You’re welcome! I love these maps too! I printed them out on half sheets of paper and laminated them to bring to the parks. So much better then the park maps they have and it does not use up all of your data.

1 Like