DLR rope drop

DLR just adjusted the hours for our upcoming visit, from 9am open to 8am. We’re driving up from Carlsbad that morning so the plan was to leave at 6am (hoping it’s early enough for it to only to take an hour), park, and drop our overnight bag off at GC bell services then grab a QS breakfast. With a 9am open I thought we’d be able to manage a rope drop for DCA. But with the earlier opening, I’m wondering how to handle it. Do crowds gather inside GC for the DCA entrance? How much before opening do you need to get there? We’ve only got the one day but there are limits to how early I can get DH and DS out the door!

2 Likes

When I was there last month, we went through the GCH entrance about 30 min before an 8am opening. There wasn’t a line at GCH security. We were among the first at the rope for drop drop.

But that was crowd level 1. It’s been busier lately. I still think you’ll be ok at GCH security check, but you may want to arrive 45-60 min before official opening to beat the rope drop crowd.

1 Like

Here is the part of my trip report where we rope drop DCA.

1 Like

Hmmm… with all we have to do to get to that point, 45-60 may be too much to ask of DH and DS depending on how quickly we adjust to the pacific time zone. It’ll be a Tuesday/level 3 day so I may just have to temper my expectations and bring up the rear of the rope drop crowd!

2 Likes

It will be fine! Tempering expectations is always a good thing. If you really are bringing up the rear of the RD crowd, I would just avoid RSR at DCA since that’s where everyone else will be going. Do GotG instead, then hit TSM and Incredicoaster. Do Grizzly River Run before it gets too hot (crowds will go there next), and then circle back to RSR later in the day. Use single rider if you have to.

2 Likes