DLR and San Diego - first time

My kids loved Legoland as kids. The last time we went, they were 8 and 10. Legoland’s driving school is much better than Disney’s Speedway. The cars are not on tracks and the older kids drive on “roads” with stops signs and stop lights.

The rides are not quite Disney but neat for that age. And we loved all loved Miniland and spent hours there watching the trolley, bus, and cars move through landmark cities and other landmarks around the world.

If you are a Costco member, check out the discounts: https://www.costco.com/theme-parks.html

2 Likes

I poked around Legloland’s website yesterday as this thread got me curious & I was sold when I saw the likes of Miniland. Me and my kids would just LOVE that. I don’t think my son (8 right now) would ever outgrow that & my daughter is just starting to get into Legos now too (at 6). So I’m thinking Legoland will be on the itinerary for our next long California trip.

1 Like

My kids absolutely adored this attraction and still talk about it a year later. It’s nice that they have two age groups - one for toddlers and another for elementary aged kids (some older kids lied about their ages to get on when my son was on - so annoying). The elementary aged one is pretty much autonomous driving around a mock up of city streets. Agree it is way better than Autopia / Speedway.

The preschool one is a single circuit with not a lot of variability, and it is a nightmare for the ride attendants to help all the kids steer and not run into each other, but for those who get the hang of it, it is a blast.

1 Like

It is cheap enough for us to go back Legoland just for Miniland and we live only 7 hours away, driving. One day, when we go to Southern CA to visit the DD21 and DD18 at their respective colleges.

Funny story… When DS was 4, he followed a yellow school bus all over Legoland and “insisted” he had to have one before we left. Of course, Legos didn’t sell a set for the bus. DH had to stand in front of the loose Legos and build him one! Good thing he didn’t ask about the motor! The pieces to that bus have long been combined with his loose Legos.

It is fun to watch the kids attempt to drive. :sweat_smile:

DS18 was cleaning his room last week and found the “driver’s license” we bought for him on his 4th birthday at Legoland! It has his picture on it. It was very cute and one of the best souvenirs/keepsake. He didn’t throw it out cleaning!

1 Like

DS, now 18, moved from Lego school buses and cars to trains. He collected and built different Lego trains for years. Every year, the Lego Christmas train makes it appearance under the tree. That train was in such high demand that year and we acted so late, my sister had to drive 2 hours to her nearest Lego Store to buy the display Christmas train.
Then, he moved on to space shuttles and rockets. Today, he is majoring in aerospace engineer.

3 Likes

LOVE all of the food recommendations! Thank you! My mouth was watering while reading your reply. I am pushing hard for my husband to stay at that same hotel, but he really wants to stay at the Disneyland Hotel. I just don’t know if it is worth it to cough up that much more money for it.

Thank you for the detailed info. I knew it was a fairly short drive, but thought there may be several small little stops along to way to enjoy and take in the details. It sounds we may be better off just spending an extra day in San Diego. My husband had actually mentioned doing a harbor boat tour! He said he did one when he was in the area for a conference and loved it. He thought I’d enjoy it as well. Thanks for all the info!

Thanks - I did realize it would be much colder. :slight_smile:

If your husband is willing to pay for the Disneyland Hotel, go for it! I would, if DH or I would be willing to spend the money. It’s an iconic hotel. Really, the Best Western Plus Park Place Inn - Mini Suites can be the dumps compared to Disneyland Hotel or the Hotel Del Coronado. And you wrote that you are picky with your hotel. Those hotels across the street from DLR are very, very well used. We have found the Best Western Plus Park Place Inn - Mini Suites to be the best out of the lot. We stay there for convenience because driving and parking can be a big hassle when the parks open at 8 AM. Think Magic Kingdom parking.

If you are spending a night at the Hotel Del Coronado, it may be tough to stay anywhere else after that!! For the money, we have been staying more inland in San Diego. We enjoy Hotel Karlan – A Doubletree Hotel. It is in the suburbs, about 35 minutes from La Jolla Cove, OUTSIDE of rush hour on the week days. It is resort-like. The rooms are huge and clean. The pool is never that crowded. It is quiet. We have met people at the pool who live in San Diego and spend the weekend at the Hotel Karlan. Once, we stayed in a bungalow-like room that has a patio overlooking the golf course. If you are a Hilton Gold member, 2 adults can get a full buffet breakfast each day. However, we haven’t stayed there this year because we have been very frugal to save money to go to WDW December 2019. Parking is plentiful but for the life of me, I don’t know why they charge $14/day. They are in the suburbs! There is plenty of parking across the street in the residential area but there is no crosswalk at the intersection. Lots of restaurants are a very short drive away, including the famous Phil’s BBQ. The original one is on Sports Arena Blvd. The lines are super long there. Think out the door and around the corner, with signs telling you how long the wait is if you are standing there. The one near Hotel Karlan is smaller and they have those waiting signs, too. But we have never waited in a line out the door. If you are interested in staying there, call to verify which amenities are available. The lap pool has never been open when we stayed there and people are saying the tennis courts are not available either. All the hotels along Hotel Circle in the Mission Valley area are very busy but centrally located. Just thoughts I forgot to add to my original post. Happy planning!

3 Likes

While this is most definitely true, there has been a pretty big push the last 3-4 years by most of them to get refurbished so that has improved (and prices increased) over the last 1-2 years. The nicer ones along Harbor are definitely comparable in terms of room size & amenities to a WDW Value (minus most of the Disney theming).

3 Likes