DL first timer

Thank you.
I didn’t figure there would be a lot of options for strict keto, but at least there seems to be salads. I’m not going to worry too much, truthfully. I’ve already looked at the carbs/sugars in Dole Whip and you can bet I’ll be having that!! Oh, and the Mac n cheese cone from Cozy Cone!!!

2 Likes

Spring is my favorite season at DLR, with early May being the best of that! You get to see Disneyland in it’s natural state with the best weather/crowd combo. The week or so in between Halloween and holiday overlays (that start early Nov) is also fantastic weather & crowds-wise, but you get a lot closed in between for overlays and because it’s such a good low crowd, more ride closures. So not ideal if you’re not planning on ever coming back and truly want comparison.

2 Likes

Pre-pandemic they had adjusted how they do Grad Nites so they no longer close early on the Disneyland side and instead gave them an exclusive after hours party on the DCA side with different pricing in ticket options that allowed either 1) just access to the after party- no time in the parks during regular hours, 2) access to just DCA with the party after or 3) park hopping all day in both parks with the party in DCA (while Disneyland is still open and available to general guests).

Who knows what grad nites will look like when they come back, but what they were doing seemed to work and allows you to zig while they zag by hitting up DCA early (while the grads are mostly still sleeping in) and then spend your evening in Disneyland while they party it up at their exclusive shin-dig across the esplanade. And in the middle, well, both parks will be busy midday but you can always find respite in a hotel/pool midday break and/or enjoy a sit down restaurant for lunch or dinner and pick a place teenagers in a large hoarde would be unlikely to be found (like Napa Rose, Steakhouse 55, or even Carthay Circle, Blue Bayou).

3 Likes

For your one and only I would definitely recommend on-site. And while the Grand is lovely (especially for the easy access to the parks) I can’t ever get myself to spend that kind of money for it when I can stay just a few more minutes on any of the right across the street hotels on Harbor that are literally 5 min difference in walk from room to turnstile.

However, for a special occasion trip such as your one big trip to Disneyland, I would fork out for the Disneyland Hotel. It is chalk full of the classic, quintessential essence and charm that is Walt Disney and Disneyland. So if that at all appeals to you, then that’s the only answer. Nothing against the pier, but the Pixar Ball pillows on the beds only do so much for me compared to all the touches and full experience at the Disneyland Hotel. And if you don’t stay there, you can still explore the hotel grounds and see almost all of the charm in the lobbies of the individual buildings and a visit to Trader Sam’s.

2 Likes

One of the best indulgences to have at Disneyland!! I am partial to the Chili “Cone” Queso but anytime I get a taste of one of my kids’ Mac n Cheese cone I think maybe I need to switch up every now and then.

3 Likes

Thank you for the information! Early May sounds really nice. And it’s also our wedding anniversary month, so it would be cool to celebrate a little while we are there. I am confident we will be doing some sort of on-site if we go… but I suppose budget will determine which hotel ultimately. Also, I can’t wait to try all the DL exclusive foods! Mmmm Mac and cheese cone! Hand dipped corn dogs! And much more to discover!

I’ve been eye ballin’ that Mac n cheese one for forever! And I can not wait to get a Disneyland Churro!!!

2 Likes