Disneyland Seat Configurations for Adult + 2 children

I took my grandson (age 4 at the time) to Disney World and am planning a return trip with both of my grandsons and another adult in 2021. I though it would be fun to visit Disneyland in between. My grandsons would be 4 and 6 for the Disneyland trip and it will be just the 3 of us. Does anyone know where I can find out for sure what rides we will not be able to go on? There are certain rides that can only accommodate 2 people and they are too young to ride alone together in a seat without someone over 14. For instance, 7 Dwarves Mine Train (at WDW) would be out for us but I believe on Toy Story Midway Mania they will seat an adult and 2 children in one seat. I found a great discussion that provided the information for Disney World so was able to determine what we won’t be able to go on where the rides are the same between WDW and DLR. Does anyone know where I can - for certain - find out the information for DLR rides that aren’t the same as WDW? I’ve viewed videos, read descriptions, searched facebook and touring plans, etc. I just can’t tell which rides can accommodate either 3 in a seat or have a car with 2 in front and 2 in back and will allow me to sit behind them. If there are too many rides we can’t enjoy it’s not worth going. Thanks.

Try this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The above guide is a great break-down of the ride vehicles with pictures! But since it doesn’t address how many can sit in rows or restrictions with how kids can sit, here is what I’ve found going with our younger kids to Disneyland.

No-Go’s
Because both kids are under 7 yrs old, the configurations of these rides won’t allow for one adult to ride with 2 children. All of them have height restrictions which I’ve included below, so depending on how tall the younger one is, you may not have all of these on your radar anyways.

• Gadget’s Go-Coaster (35 in.)
  • Space Mountain (40 in.)
  • Jumpin’ Jellyfish (40 in.)
  • Silly Symphony Swings (40 in.)
  • Goofy’s Sky School (42 in.)
  • Incredicoaster (48 in.)

Possible, BUT
For these rides, there is a stipulation of some sort. Mainly that even if you could see the child in another row/ride vehicle, since they are younger than 7 you’ll have to ride in 1 row/ride vehicle in order to go. Depending on the sizes of the adult & 2 kids, some may be squishy (I’ll note where I have felt squishy with 2 kids). If there are any other stipulations, I’ll point them out as well. If it’s just that it’s 1 row/ride vehicle & nothing else, I’ll just list the ride.

• Buzz (one person won’t be able to shoot but will be able to spin the vehicle around w/ the joystick)
  • Autopia (if kids are bigger can be squishy, but if smaller, not horrible)
  • Astro-Orbiter (same as Autopia above)
  • Star Tours (This is less about sitting in the same row & more that kids cannot sit on the end of the row so you’ll be asked to switch with them if they sit that way at 1st)
  • Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride (can be squishy but does allow a lap rider)
  • Dumbo (same as Mr. Toad’s above)
  • Teacups
  • Casey Jr (As long as you sit in the same vehicle you’ll be good on this one as there are some vehicles that have 2 rows & if you sit in those vehicles you may sit in the back row & they in the front but you could not for example have them sit in the cage & you sit in a separate vehicle).
  • Peter Pan’s Flight
  • Roger Rabbit’s Cartoon Spin (can be squishy AND does NOT allow lap riding whatsoever)
  • Big Thunder Mountain
  • Soarin’ (like Star Tours, kids cannot sit on the end of the row)
  • Mater’s Junkyard Jamborree (slightly squishy if kids and adult are all bigger)
  • Luigi’s Rollickin Roadsters (same as Mater’s above)
  • Toy Story Midway Mania (same as Buzz, one person won’t be able to play except here there is no alternative feature for them to enjoy)

For Everything Else
If there are small benches within the same ride vehicle, you can have one or both sit in the row in front of you or all squeeze into one row if the kids are small. If the vehicle is single-file seating (ala Splash and Matterhorn which are more similar to how seating on Space Mtn in WDW works) then as long as you sit behind the 2 children, you’ll all be able to go. And lastly, if there are long benches or individual seats, you’ll all be able to sit together easily & comfortably.

Any other questions, ask away!

2 Likes

Thanks - that is helpful.

1 Like

This is great - the blog was helpful but was missing some info on “critical” rides. My grandsons are small so we should be okay on those where you note that it depends on the size of the kids. I’m especially interested that you mentioned Autopia and Big Thunder Mountain as possible. Those are two of my older grandson’s must do rides and he was a little upset when I said we might not be able to ride them unless he rides with an adult stranger. Thanks so much.

2 Likes

So for the Possible ones you just need to have both the boys sit on the same row as you (& follow any other stipulations I mentioned). For Autopia & Big Thunder both they just need to all sit on the same row as you. For Big Thunder, that’s never been a problem for me, even now that one of them is old enough to ride in their own row.

It’s been a long while since I’ve done Autopia with 2 kids together but it can get squishy fast. There is always the possibility that you “recruit” a stranger in line to help ride with one of the boys if you don’t want to squish but just note that the CM loading cars won’t send him with a single stranger so squishing may be your best option, especially if he is upset at the prospect of riding with a stranger. I know for my kids that would be a hard pass.

1 Like

Great summary, @lolabear_la!

I did this once on Heimlich’s Chew Chew Train before A Bug’s Land closed down. My wife and I had two of my own kids plus three of my brother’s kids (all under 7!) in line and as we approached the boarding area, we realized that each of us could have two kids in a row with us, but that would leave one odd child out.

So I scouted out the strangers around us and one nice lady behind us seemed to be the perfect choice. She graciously accepted and I instructed the oldest kid to go with her. He didn’t want to so I told my DS4 to go with his new “friend” and he did so gladly! (In the same train as us so never out of my sight or reach.) I’m always grateful for “the kindness of strangers,” especially at Disney. (But had to reaffirm to my son not to go with strangers without Dad’s approval. :wink: )

2 Likes