Disney World and Mental Health

I have so many thoughts on this subject. I agree with nearly every sentiment that’s been expressed. I want to touch on the subject of money partly because it’s my job, mostly because it’s my passion. No.one. can tell another person how or on what to spend their money. Granted, if you’re not making your rent or mortgage and still visiting the mouse on the regular we need to talk. Generally though, the money we choose to spend at Disney is discretionary. There is not one person on this planet that has the right to judge what another chooses to do with their money. Disney is not frivolous or shallow. It’s a real place that offers full on magic and happiness, kindness and peace. One of the budgeting techniques I teach my clients is a concept I coined Value Based Budgeting. When our money choices are in alignment with our values, we are at peace. For example, one of my core values is Family, followed by a supportive value of Connection. Disney vacations give me both. Whether we visit as a couple, as a family group of seven (with mom and MIL), or as an extended family of 30, we are connecting and strengthening our familial relationships. Nothing is more important to me than that and I will always make room for it in my budget. Could we get those same effects traveling somewhere else? Maybe. But Disney is where we chose because of how it makes us feel. When we’re not on property we are planning and remembering. Disney has a positive net effect on my relationships and my mental health. I will continue to visit for as long as I possibly can. And after that I’ll live there.

18 Likes

You told me the other day to keep up- obviously I have not. You are planning a birthday trip too?

2 Likes

My sediment exactly! In my 20s, my husband and I were raising 3 kids, blended family. We are middle class, making a modest income. Some of my friends with kids always had new cars, fancy designer purses, shoes, sunglasses. Ate out most nights of the week. In comparison, our vehicles were older, well maintained and safe, but not luxury, shiny or brand new. We chose to spend modestly and smart on our clothing and accessories. Our kids still enjoyed technology and some name brand things, within a budget. I cooked most nights, even after a 45 hr work week. Eating out just occasionally and still within reason. I would be asked, how can you afford 3 kids in private school and nice vacations, and later, helping them pay for cars, insurance, and college needs? Well, I’ll tell you, its about our priorities, what we valued. I grew up learning to look at a price tag and figure how long you had to work to get that particular purchase covered. What are the alternatives and is it personally worth it? Disney (and they other choices Ive made) are worth every minute I had to make a dollar. You’re doing great work, very common sense! Love it!

9 Likes

Ugh. You exhaust me. Yes. 20-26 April 2021. My birthday is between those dates.

4 Likes

I so resonate with this thread. I hope this is not overstepping and if it is please feel free to delete or let me know and I will. Reading this thread I couldn’t help but remember a fantastic sermon I heard shortly after our WDW trip last summer from a pastor who had just returned from a trip to WDW with his family. I think it speaks to why WDW has such a deep impact on so many of us. I know several of the folks who have commented have shared in the past that they are Christians, so I though I would share it as a resource if they are wrestling with this topic. Others are of course welcome to listen and truly I mean absolutely no disrespect to people of other faiths by sharing the link-http://tcpca.dreamhosters.com/files/audio/2019Sermons/AMSermon081119.mp3?download=true. Even if this needs to be removed, I am grateful for this thread as it reminded me to go back and listen again. And that was good for my mental health which certainly is challenged in this season.

4 Likes

That’s us too! We take stuff out of our normal budget and put it in our Disney fund or we say no to a planned purchase and add that money. I love what everyone has said. I think sometimes knowing times of sorrow/anxiety/abuse makes me treasure the moments of joy and happiness and appreciate them even more. I’ve been so teary lately going through pictures from my grandmothers house (my aunt lived there and she just passed away). There was so much sorrow growing up but WDW was a bright spot. That feeling has held for me. Plus obsessive planning takes the edge off my anxiety!!!

5 Likes

I too have had this, fairly rough childhood, but I focus on the bright spots, forgive anyone that I feel bitter towards, choose to move on and live!

1 Like

I remembered we are almost birthday twins. I am slow, not THAT slow.

2 Likes

That’s a good strategy!! It’s funny I have my own pictures of a friend who passed away and I’m used to them but somehow seeing her little face in a picture i hadn’t seen before did me in! Maybe because I’m not only her friend but now a mom. Then finding new to me Disney pictures made me smile!

2 Likes

I grew up watching Uncle Walt who was only the second adult I knew who had respect for kids. Because it sure seemed as tho I knew Walt and it might be entirely possible that he knew me. Sunday evenings were magical.

By the mid 60s I was too old and too cool to feel any interest in Disneyland when required to attend a family night, ie a parent’s company’s employee night. I have no real memories of the 5.5 + hours we had just spent touring all the attractions until we happened on to a thing called Pirates of the Caribbean just before midnight.
To paraphrase a previous post, it was magical, and we believed. The yoke of disbelief was well and truly lifted. Speaking of mental health, the chronically and monumentally depressed member of our family was so transported we saw joy on that countenance for perhaps the only time. This person was nearly back at the attraction entry for a second ride before the rest of us realized what was going on. That second ride was our last of the evening as the park was closing.

Several things became apparent as a result of that brief moment of joy. One that has stayed with me: we’re never too old for joy, fantasy, make believe or any of the things Walt was aiming for with his places on earth.

5 Likes

Look at what Disney has done for all of us!!! The institution has been our bright light, something to cherish, a tangible thing that is real and worth it!

2 Likes

I’m always relieved when you’re able to drop in and add a calm and reasoned perspective to any discussion. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Brian Wilson may have just had a stroke…just sayin’
(But nice job on the lyrics :smiley:)

2 Likes

I certainly was!!

3 Likes

You two both make me laugh!

3 Likes

I very much appreciate this. All of this. So I’m not going to bother using the “quote” feature

3 Likes

Then my job here is completed! :smile:
Take good care

3 Likes

I can relate to this 100%!!! And I am so glad I am not the only one who feels this way. I understand what you were saying about your life being cushy, because my family wasn’t really impacted by the shut down (we didn’t lose our jobs), but I still just didn’t have that thing to look forward to, to plan for, to save for. And my kids have been watching vloggers on YouTube getting excited about our trip. I struggle with depression and anxiety and planning for Disney has always helped me cope with it.

11 Likes

Welcome, @celeste9900! What a great thread to jump into for your first post! I hope you’ll stick around and get to know us :slight_smile: I’m glad that Disney planning has been a source of comfort for you, like it has been for so many of us.

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

4 Likes