Disney Wonder - first time cruisers trip report 🛳️

I was thinking about your cruise while we were aboard. Definitely take some Dramamine with you!

I think you’re right that October will be warmer. Probably a lot warmer!

5 Likes

:grimacing: This worries me a bit. Hopefully Dramamine will curb it.

5 Likes

When we went on the Dream I really noticed the motion the first night too. But then it was better when we stopped travelling so fast. Also, when we got off the ship we went to UOR that day, and I felt like I was swaying the whole day. It wasn’t a great feeling! Glad you got a beautiful sunset.

5 Likes

Ugh I’m sorry it was so cold! We had one day of crap weather last time and that was enough for me. Did you see any shows?

1 Like

Placeholders on Disney cruises aren’t specific dates or times. You just make a deposit of $250 before you get off the ship and you can get 10% off your next Disney cruise.

8 Likes

Gotcha.

I had no idea that was how booking a place holder worked. Thanks for the enlightenment!

1 Like

Bummer about the weather and the motion sickness. I’m still iffy about our first cruise coming up in April on the Fantasy…but I didn’t end up canceling

2 Likes

If it makes you feel any better, I can’t ride in the back seat of a car but I’ve done the 5 day cruise on the Dream and the 8 day cruise on the Fantasy and never felt the least bit sea sick.

1 Like

You have 2 years from the date you book the place holder to use it. If you don’t use it, you get your money back. I wait until the day before we debark to book my placeholders. You can book two. I use the same TA so she gets a confirmation email at the same time that I do confirming the placeholders.

I booked two placeholders on our October 2022 cruise and still had a placeholder from my October 2021 cruise that I used to book my October 2023 cruise with when dates opened in the fall of 2022.

If you think you might do another cruise in two years, it doesn’t hurt to book the placeholder if you can part with the money for a bit.

2 Likes

Can placeholders be used with *GT rates, do you know?

No. Only full price. The may be some room class guidelines/restrictions too but I don’t remember what they are. We’ve always had verandah room for the three of us and the placeholder worked. My October 2022 cruise was booked with the placeholder then a VGT came out and I could not use the 10% off but I saved $1300 so I didn’t care and ended up with an extended verandah which was better than I had originally booked. The money I’d already paid just transferred to the new VGT payments.

2 Likes

Thank you.

The likelihood I ever make it on another Disney cruise is slim enough, that making a placeholder while I was on that probably wouldn’t happen either. But it is intriguing.

1 Like

There have been so many restricted fares in the last year or two, and they are often a much better value than the placeholder discount. Although I currently hold 4 placeholders (myself and dh), I am more likely to book a restricted fare in the future than get a full fare cruise with 10% placeholder. The 10% also does not include taxes and port fees. In booking a cruise to Bermuda, those port expenses were substantial, and not included in the discount–it was a real bummer.

2 Likes

Boarding the ship was actually a very smooth and easy process. We had BG 3, which meant we were on before 1:00. They offered us lunch in Tiana’s Place or Cabanas. We chose Tiana’s Place, but if we were going again would go to Cabanas. Our server for lunch was not our server for the rest of the cruise (although he was part of our service team), but two days later we ran into him at Cabanas and he greeted us by name! Those CM’s and their memories for names are pretty incredible. There was an empanada with chimi churri sauce on the lunch menu at Tiana’s that was fabulous!

9 Likes

By the time lunch was over, our cabin was ready. We unpacked and settled in and then explored the ship. We had an interior cabin on deck 7, midship - great location! Thanks @FOMOm_VA! It felt quite roomy for two! The bed was super comfortable and the bathroom had the cutest little tub. I did take a bath in that tiny tub!

It was pretty easy to figure out the layout of the ship.

9 Likes

We toured the spa and following @OBNurseNH’s advice, I asked about the pass to the rainforest room. I was debating if I should get it or not when we were called to our assembly stations for the drill. Unfortunately, I never made it back to the spa to purchase the pass. I think I would have definitely used it since the weather was so cold! Oh well - next time.

Our Assembly Leader, Grace, had a little Anna key chain on her lanyard, which I spied immediately. It was definitely a clue, as she plays Anna in the Frozen show. She’s actually in all the shows and we had fun looking for her each night. Was so glad to get a chance to get a picture with her (and Donald) at the Til We Meet Again party the last night.

After that everyone, including us, rushed up to Decks 9 and 10 for the Sail a Wave party. Carly and I were on the Jumbo Tron! Probably because we were being super goofy and enthusiastic, as you do at things like this! :crazy_face:

Then we went to the front of the boat to watch as we backed out of our parking space, turned around, and headed out of San Diego. It was freezing, but beautiful.

15 Likes

YESSS midship deck 7 always! after paying more for a concierge room in december that was all the way forward on the highest deck with staterooms, i feel like i need to write this on my forehead. i slept like a baby in that interior deck 7 room.

4 Likes

What is the benefit of this location exactly? I have heard that if you are worried about motion sickness that lower could be better.

Mid-ship is best for motion I think. Lower might also be better? But Deck 7 is close enough to use stairs to get up or down to the decks with the action - 3, 4, and 9. Sometimes the wait for an elevator can be long, especially if everyone is trying to get to the same place.

4 Likes