Disney Trip 3.0! And report 1.0

I’m enjoying your writing style, mostly. But I will have to admit, I find your portrayal of your boyfriend off-putting. Either you are exaggerating things for the sake of the “story”, or he’s a bit of a jerk. In either case, I’m left wondering why you are a couple.

2 Likes

He definitely isn’t that much of a jerk on a day to day basis. He typically is much more aware of his limits, but the combination of being in the heat, the pace of the days (to Liners it’s good, to first timers it’s exhausting), excitement to see how DSS was taking everything in and infrequent eating were definitely the culprits here. Moving forward, I wouldn’t park hop on the first day to push for rope drop the second after only a few hours sleep. I wouldn’t wish the outcome of crashing blood sugars on anyone who isn’t familiar with what it looks like.

6 Likes

I love how you tell the story and how you handled it all. Why does the World do that to some people? DH was not having the best time either during our trip. I was wondering if it was because we had both of our mothers there with us. But I think part of it is just handling the experience itself. Still trying to figure out why though.

1 Like

There’s a ton written about how to head off melt downs in kids, but not as much for adults melting down. DD was trying to figure out the issue too, and I honestly had to remind her that this was hers and my third trip this year, and their first trip EVER. There’s so much stimulation in all of the parks between the crowds, the heat, the atmosphere and the smells that it’s easy to forget adults are at times sensitive to it as well.

5 Likes

I experience lows regularly. I’m type 1 diabetic. Crashing blood sugars in Type 2, however, surprises me. That’s a sign of being hypoglycemic, which usually results from eating too MUCH sugar/carbs without a good balance of protein/fat. Short spike in BGLs triggers the body to then overreact and produce too much insulin. But type 2 diabetics, this isn’t as common since they are generally very insulin resistant.

Anyhow, my point was merely that your story telling is, the way I’m reading it, bordering heavily on disrespectful toward your BF. You may not feel that way in real life, but it comes across that way in the report. Like all the bad stuff happening during this trip was all his fault.

3 Likes

I own that some of it is overplanning on my part.
His bg is regularly not bad. The meds he’s on has his A1C low enough that he borders on not needing the meds anymore so at times he crashes if he doesn’t eat soon enough after taking his medications.

2 Likes

I don’t read it that way at all.
Perhaps because I had a few similar experiences when I went to Disney with my DBF for the first time. Some of how he reacted I also attributed to his Diabetes and him not being familiar with WDW or to be fair as ‘into’ it as I am.
I have been finding it very entertaining with the clear difference between someone that has experience at Disney and someone that doesn’t - in addition to someone that is a major planner.

8 Likes

I didn’t read it that way either. My DH does not have diabetes, but gets anxiety in new places. If I don’t have things planned out to a T, he gets irritated and angry. It’s best for me if I walk a distance from him and figure things out while he stews. Once we are back on track, he is good to go. His family didn’t travel much when he was a kid and mine did. He wants to travel, but sometimes the anxiety takes over. Fortunately he loves Disney and is much more comfortable in the World so this occurance is very infrequent during our trips.

Thanks for the report!

8 Likes

I’m really enjoying this report. I don’t feel like it’s disrespectful of DBF and more just reporting what happened. I like when people are honest about the things that didn’t work well. @potternut2001 now knows she needs to plan things a little differently when DBF is in tow. At least that’s how I read it.
At any rate, we’ve learned over the years of traveling together that I have to have snacks available-I get hangry very quickly and it’s best to avoid that😬 by my not having to wait in line for a snack. DH has learned that his limit with heat + drinking is very different at WDW than it would be at home (our first Food & Wine fest he almost passed out!).

10 Likes

I think that you were smart to just go by yourself!

2 Likes

I don’t know, my mood can tank like nobodies business, especially when I’m tired. My own mother would recognise some of the situations @potternut2001 describes here and personally I have no problem with her describing me in similar terms. I realise that sometimes I act like maleficent and while I cannot fully control this in the moment I also realise that it impacts everyone else’s enjoyment as well. And in fact leaving me to ‘stew’ is the best option sometimes. And if her boyfriend is anything like me he will also understand how his sugar levels affect him and those around him and will have no problem with his portrayal in this report. Or perhaps not. But since it’s @potternut2001 's relationship I think she is the best person to know

5 Likes

I don’t think a single one of those is disrespectful. Just honest.

6 Likes

Yes. This. If I’m being a PITA then that’s what people will describe me as.

2 Likes

The disrespect isn’t in any of those comments, but in the unbalanced presentation. Honesty is fine. I have no trouble with honesty, even of the negative moments. But there is nothing positive there about the DBF. So the overall takeaway is that he’s a grump. Low BGL will affect a person in short periods of time until it comes back up. But three days, and that’s all we see.

If my wife were to make a post about incidents where I was a grump, I’d not have a problem if she also included times I wasn’t a grump (most of the time!).

Anyhow, my point in bringing it up was merely a case of self-awareness. Perhaps in the end, we’ll see DBF experience a moment of redemption.

2 Likes

If she continues her report. If I had another poster dissecting my every comment, on a basically anonymous online forum, I would be done. Honestly, I think you have gone way too far in your criticism. This is her personal trip report and you have decided to make this into a “teaching moment” (which reads to the rest of us as judgmental and overbearing). I really don’t get what you are trying to do here. I thought your first complaint was excessive, and now you just keep going on and on and on. It’s too bad you have hijacked her thread, which the rest of us were thoroughly enjoying.

24 Likes

I didn’t see anything negative about him at all in the first post. He had a good day and then he had a bad day. And the OP acknowledged that she was pushing the group too hard.

8 Likes

Maybe that day there wasn’t anything positive to say. Some days I’ve had have been a complete nightmare from start to finish

2 Likes

this - yes! Thank you for saying this :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I agree. This is her trip report from her point of view. I don’t think it is meant to be an unbiased news article about her trip.

7 Likes

I don’t think we should critique the travel reports of others. They are taking the time to write and share. If you disagree, I would humbly suggest that you let it go and move on. We were not present during their trip. We do not know the dynamics in play. It really is not our place to judge. Just my opinion.

@potter nut, thanks for sharing.

10 Likes