Disney Plus “book” Club!

It seems more people are discussing it in chat. Maybe you could mention this there…

I watched this while doing some cleaning and organizing of files – so first let me say Thanks for the idea! Snow White is not my favorite Disney move, nor favorite Princess. But watching it brought some positives for me

1., yes there’s the whole Someday My Prince Will Come driving element to her story, and the whole females-are-valuable because they are beautiful, can clean, and are kind to others. Inescapable.
2. But I had forgotten how largely irrelevant to the vast bulk of the movie is the (unnamed – how wierd is that) prince, and how central is Snow White finding her own courage to make her way out of the dark forest, her let’s-get’this-done push with animals – dare I over interpret to leadership?
3. And while the apple scene still screams How Can You Be So Gullible?! , it also could be a lesson in don’t do things because others want you to.

So I watched it looking for some positives, and found them.

Also, I really enjoyed the silly animation of the animals cleaning and washing. And the dwarves in the mine scene made me love 7DMT at MK even more. Who knows when we’ll get to ride it again, but I will love it even more the next time I am able to.

1 Like

Wow! Some great points to consider there.

1 Like

It definitely has a very straight forward storyline/plot. Very different from newer movie a such as Frozen 2.

A few thoughts on the movie.

It has been awhile since I’ve watched this I’ve as well, but I was touched by the dedication the Walt included at the beginning of the film to ask those who worked on it. Not something you are in films these days, and if it is, it’s usually during the end credits.

I hadn’t remembered how scary the forest scene was. It actually gives me a greater appreciation for the “Snow Whites Scary Adventures” attraction at Disneyland.

I drive know if I ever noticed before that Dopey is the only Dwarf with blue eyes. Grumpy’s attitude toward women definitely needs some adjusting (though it did reminds me a little of my Grandparents who were born in 1899 & 1900). I also thought it was interesting that Grumpy was the one to say the Queen was a witch. How did he know that, or was it another indication of his attitude towards women? I thought it was interesting that Snow White was the one to offer to cook & clean in order to stay with the dwarves, and in many ways, her interactions with them were those of a parent or adult towards a younger child, which is what she originally assumed the dwarves were.

I also took the time to read the fairy tale and noted with a few differences. First, Snow White is only 7 years old when the Queen tries to have her killed. Second, the Queen wants her liver and lungs as proof of her death, not her heart, and once she thinks she has them (the were actually from a bear not a pig) she salts then and eats them (ick!). Unlike in the film, the dwarves cottage is neat and tidy when Snow White enters it, and she eats some of their food and falls asleep in the bed. When the Dwarves arrive, it’s a Goldilocks situation of each noticing that something is missing or has been moved. It is the dwarves that make the stipulation that Snow White can stay with them if she is tidy and does the cleaning and cooking. The Queen tries to lol her 3 times, and each time Snow had been warned by the Dwarves to not let anyone into the cottage. The first attempt is with some laces, which the Queen laces so tight that Snow can’t breathe, and the dwarves save her by cutting the laces. The second is with a poisoned hair comb that once removed Snow White revives. The third is a poisoned apple, which a piece chokes her. The dwarves are unable to revive her, and build her glad coffin. It indicates that it’s many years before the price hears of the princess in the coffin, and once he goes to see her, he insists that the Dwarves give her to him, as she’s the most beautiful thing he’s ever seen. They do so and while the prince’s men are carrying the coffin, one of them stumbles which dislodges the piece of apple and Snow White revives. The prince as her to marry him and she accepts. The Queen comes to their wedding and at the reception they have heated iron shoes which they make her wear and dance until she dies.

Oh, and did any one else think that the 2 squirls might have been prototypes for Chip and Dale?

4 Likes

Okie dokie! I’ll come over to chat :slight_smile:

Okay everyone, great job with SW. What should we watch next?

I wondered last night if new subscriptions to streaming services went up recently. It makes sense.

When DD gets home from Camp Grandparents, we’ll go back to our Marvel marathon. After that we’ll be able to join in. I have a long list of Disney movies to watch to prepare for our trip.

1 Like

How about Moana? From the first Disney Princess to one of the most recent ones. Can see and discuss how the depiction of Disney princesses has changed over the years?

3 Likes

What about Alien? I always enjoy the discussion about why the xenomorph is now a Disney princess. :wink:

1 Like

I caught this one late, and I don’t have chat right now. But, Snow White…all the jewels and all the sparkly…:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:…takes me back to being a little girl, and I was thrilled to see all that sparkly magic was on the 7DMT when we were there. LOVE!!

3 Likes

I’m up for Moana!

1 Like

Moana it is! Maybe we could watch by around 2pm EST on Wednesday?

4 Likes

Sorry I’m late. Is everyone ready?

:rofl:

Oops! I’m only just seeing this message now.

So, that’s a no from me. Sorry @DisneyFan1234. I haven’t re-watched it yet :see_no_evil:

Sorry, was caught up in work. I’m ready but I can wait if we want to give others time to watch!!!

Sure! Maybe 2pm EST tomorrow?

1 Like

great!