Disney layoffs

I don’t get it. I mean, from a running a business standpoint maybe, but everyone on here has said over and over that WDW seems short staffed…

The last 2 paragraphs do provide hope that guest facing folks at parks may not get hit:

Officials for two of the unions representing cast members at Walt Disney World Resorts in Orlando, Florida, said “guest-facing” services were not expected to be affected by the layoffs.

“I don’t see where, when there are labor shortages in front-facing guest roles, it would be a good decision to lay off workers where the money train starts for the Walt Disney Co,” said Paul Cox, president of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees Local 631.

Obviously that is speculation though, but also logical in that they already seem short-staffed in those areas. Although I shudder to think that Imagineering could get hit - I thought they were running on fumes as is…

3 Likes

A lot of companies are doing this for the recession. Usually areas affected are management, marketing, administrative roles(aka secretaries). And low performers always a risk. Hubby and I were having this talk last night with respect to our industry we both work in, tech. Best way to avoid a layoff is to be a high performer!

But also, companies did say they were being careful because it’s really hard to hire right now. And by hire, I mean the right hires, aka ones with experience, education, etc. in the tech industry for example for us. So, I hope they are very thoughtful about it. But this is just a fact of life of public companies. Stupid really but that’s probably for another forum LOL. I have a lot of thoughts on it having worked for a private company for over two decades and watching other public tech companies behave radically different than my company does. Gotta please the effin shareholders in the now, not plan for the future! Sigh.

4 Likes

I will say WDC is really bloated with middle management/mid level positions. Both in the parks and in corporate.

It’s the front line CMs they struggle to hire, and that’s directly rated to the low compensation for long hours, awful guests, and frustrating working conditions.

They can only hire so many babies of rich parents who will supplement their living expenses for the college program and professional internships and frontline CM positions. I knew a DCP kid who had to leave early because they couldn’t afford it. Their pay barely covered their living costs at flamingo crossings and their parents couldn’t supplement them enough.

Sigh

9 Likes

So hire more of the front-line workers, pay them more and fire all the middle managers (I am a middle manager btw but not at Disney of course, so don’t tell my company what I said :wink:

8 Likes

You’re not wrong. LOL

4 Likes

The layoffs and hiring freeze do not apply to front line CM’s. And hopefully the new contract the unions worked out will be voted through and it will bring in more quality CM’s.

8 Likes

And they’ll start scheduling their existing employees. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

I’ve seen this too, the big issue was they were getting the mimimum required hours and it just wasn’t enough. Quite the business model!

1 Like

Yup. It’s really awful. Friends of like have a kid in the program but they supplement the kid that it doesn’t matter how much they make. Family considers it “part of the college expenses”….but that’s not every family! Flamingo Crossings is a really nice living place, but it’s SO expensive.

Do they have loads of cool things? Yeah. But for the price they should!!!

3 Likes

You want more competition for your scheduling spots?

4 Likes

Same problem on Capitol Hill! Unpaid internships lead to jobs. And the entry level positions are bery low paid. I know people how made it through that path on their own, but it was tough.

5 Likes

No but it would be nice for DD to have a few more co-workers with more brain cells :wink: she has some stories I tell ya!

5 Likes