Disney Food You Made At Home

How much butter did you use when you made it?

Here’s the same recipe from DFB (basically the same and both say 1 whole stick of butter)

Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake at Liberty Tree Tavern in Magic Kingdom

Liberty Tree Tavern Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake Recipe

Cake Bottom

Serves: 5-6
Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 10 min

Ingredients
1 box yellow cake mix
1 large egg
1 stick butter (softened)

Instructions

1. Mix ingredients.
  2. Spread mixture evenly in greased baking pan.

Cake Top

Serves: 5-6
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 50 min

Ingredients
8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup butter
1 pound powdered sugar (sifted)
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup Heath Bar pieces

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Mix cream cheese until smooth.
  3. Slowly add eggs and vanilla.
  4. Add butter and mix well.
  5. Add powdered sugar, slowly.
  6. Add chocolate chips and toffee pieces.
  7. Mix until ingredients are all just incorporated evenly — do not overmix!
  8. Put on top of Cake Bottom ingredients in pan. (Usually a large muffin pan can work well for this.)
  9. Bake for 35 minutes. Inside should just be slightly gooey, but not liquid.

Enjoy!

And just for clarity’s sake - 1 “stick” is 113 grams!

2 Likes

I honestly don’t remember. I didn’t have cups then, so I’d guess a stick.

Thanks, I think everyone can see that I need clarity :joy:

2 Likes

I wonder if our cake mixes are different, in terms of the flour used in it. A stick vs 1/2 stick of butter could make a difference, too. Everything else shouldn’t matter that much. They are just sugar!

I need to get to the store for a few items. Please give me until the weekend to make it.

1 Like

there is never a “too much butter” situation in life… ever.

4 Likes

If the recipe says “1 box yellow cake mix” I can see that being a big problem if you are using regular flour instead.

2 Likes

So after reading this I am wondering since I don’t recall…how is butter sold in the UK? I mean it seems so simple yet maybe it’s different like the flour situation, but I guess if you know 1/2 cup is 113 grams than it shouldn’t matter.

Also what @shawthorne44 said. Do they sell birthday cake box mixes like Betty Crocker or something there? That is a key point.

Now I want to try to make this recipe.

1 Like

@stlouie, @shawthorne44 and @alittlerandr I hadn’t even thought about the cake mix. We don’t have yellow cake here, it’s not a thing. @ryan1 looked at a normal cake recipe and told me how to make it into yellow cake - I think there were extra eggs added - so I did that rather than the cake mix.

No wonder it went wrong. I have bought a Betty Crocker yellow cake mix from Amazon in preparation for another try.

Butter is sold in 250g blocks.

4 Likes

Were you substituting the cake mix for flour? Cake mix has the sugar, flour, baking powder, and other flavorings already in it. Typically you just then add eggs, water, and oil or butter. If you don’t use a cake mix, you have to use a standard yellow cake recipe instead, but leaving out the eggs, oil, and water…then you have a homemade cake mix! At that point, you can follow your recipe (which indicates how many eggs and butter to use).

I have never been more confused. I showed you a recipe and you said something like that it needed a couple of eggs to make it a yellow cake. So I made it and added a couple of eggs - maybe it was yolks - and then I added the butter and eggs that the recipe says.

So you’re saying that I shouldn’t make up the mix as per the box and then add the butter and eggs, they’re not extra?

Sorry. Didn’t mean to confuse! :slight_smile:

If a recipe calls for a boxed cake mix, then that just means the mix itself, and NOT the ingredients you add to a cake mix to make it into the cake.

So the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake recipe, when it says to use a cake mix, means JUST the mix, plus whatever else the recipe says (in this case, 1 stick of butter and 1 large egg). SOMETIMES a recipe will actually tell you to PREPARE the cake mix according to the box, but if it doesn’t, you don’t…you just use the mix.

What makes a yellow cake mix yellow are the egg yolks and real butter (although many modern mixes add yellow food coloring to make them extra yellow). If a recipe calls for egg whites, but not the whole egg, then you won’t get a yellow cake!

Anyhow, for the recipe you are making above, just take a cake mix (yellow if you have it) and mix it with 1 egg and 1 stick of butter. Do NOT follow the recipe on the cake mix box.

If you don’t have a cake mix, you can find a recipe for yellow cake from scratch. Mix all the dry ingredients, but not the liquid ingredients. (Try to find one that doesn’t call for milk, if you can, otherwise the recipe might need some powered milk or something to taste right.) Oh, and since vanilla is NOT a dry ingredient, you can still add that. But leave out the eggs and oil/butter according to the cake recipe. Once you mix those cake mix ingredients together, you now have a “cake mix”. You can swap that for the boxed yellow cake mix.

Is that more clear?

3 Likes

Yes. This really explains why it went wrong :joy::joy: I am feeling much more confident about it now despite my unbleached flour! Though I also feel really stupid! Thank you!

3 Likes

Best of luck to you!

There is only one problem…

…now I want to make this recipe myself! :grin:

3 Likes

Oh boy. I hope the next one turns out better. Glad you found yellow cake mix on Amazon. Good luck and keep us posted how it turns out!

3 Likes

We learn about stuff other than Disney here!

After looking at the recipe you sent that called for a box of yellow cake mix, I was confused with the flour discussion we had. Glad you can get a cake mix through Amazon.

ryan1 gave you excellent detailed instructions on how to make the cake. Just a reminder that a stick of butter is 113 g.

I think you got this under control. As such, I will be on stand by to make this cake! Please keep us updated.

2 Likes

I have got it now but I didn’t have it when I made it last year so I was using flour then. I actually forgot I’d bought the cake mix which might have made the conversation simpler :joy:

2 Likes

Don’t! Most people don’t know how much different types of flour there are in the world until you need to know. I learned about the different types of US flour years ago when I was failing miserably at making an ethnic bread!

3 Likes

all the talk about yellow cake mix is making me crave a boxed cake!

2 Likes