Disney Food You Made At Home

It’s worth a try!

One “stick” of butter in the US (1/2 cup) is equal to 113 grams. I sometimes buy Kerry Gold (Irish) or Presidente (French) butter here in the States and use the whole block as one cup (they are 227 grams, so just about dead on … I wasn’t aware that UK blocks are slightly more at 250!)

1 Like

To be clear, that would be swapping out 1/4 cup in each CUP of flour, not total for the recipe. So if a recipe calls for 2 cups, you instead use 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 cup corn starch, etc. (Just to be clear.)

1 Like

I could stick with not using the cup for the butter.

Definitely don’t! In the US, no one actually uses the measuring cup for butter since our sticks are equivalent (and have markings on them for tablespoons, 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, etc.).

I also think Ryan’s idea about the bleached vs. unbleached flour is interesting. I’ve made hundreds of UK baking recipes (I’m probably more obsessed with GBBO than I am with Disney) using US ingredients and, aside from initially not knowing that corn flour in the UK is equivalent to our cornstarch, I’ve not really had difficulty. I use all-purpose flour for “plain flour” all the time, so I’d be surprised if you couldn’t do the reverse with relative ease (though, as Ryan mentions, I do know plain flour has more gluten than our all purpose, so his recommendations are interesting).

1 Like

Are we back to it being me then? :joy: I will have another go at ooey gooey toffee cake when I’m off at Easter.

You are going in the “easy” direction there. :smiley: All Purpose flour in the US is far easier to bake with, so adapting a UK recipe to use it very possibly improves it, overall! I hadn’t realized until looking at this that they were using unbleached flour. As I indicated above, getting unbleached flour to turn out correctly is far more temperamental.

it sounds like it is the flour and NOT you!! if the cornstarch trick doesn’t work let us know I’d be happy to send you some flour!

1 Like

That’s so kind, thank you!

Would you send me the toffee recipe so I can try it? Let’s see how it works with American ingredients! If it works, we’ll get you the “correct” ingredients!

Of course!

Actually, I found that my British bakes come out better if I substitute cake flour for all purpose, but the difference is only noticeable to someone looking for the acute details! I think you are onto something with unbleached though…

And yes, @missoverexcited, I’m with St Louie! I still don’t think it’s you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s the recipe @stlouie. See how I can be confused though, @eeeevah says a stick of butter is 1/2 cup and this says it 1/4 - I’m not sure which I used… Hope you can read it ok.

One stick of butter is 1/2 cup. I happen to have one here in my office. Don’t ask

4 Likes

Ok I won’t ask, but I still don’t know how much to put in :joy: I’ll check some other recipes online.

2 Likes

:laughing:

It is weird. I wonder if different brands offer different amounts in a stick. But honestly I’ve only ever seen one size stick (and then half sticks, which come together and make a normal sized full stick)

2 Likes

Well DFB says it’s a stick so I will trust them next time I make it.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl:

I wanna make this now. :laughing:
But I don’t bake …

1 Like

There are some brands that sell butter packaged in 1/4 cup “half sticks” but that is atypical.