Disney Dining Calculator

I think (think!) that I have figured out what it’s doing with buffet prices, @SillySamsMom.

Per the touring plans site, 1900 Park Fare dinner is $47 for one adult. $47 + 6.5% sales tax is exactly $50.06 – which is what it shows as the price of the meal before tip. 18% (for the tip) of $50.06 is $9.01, which is exactly what they are showing as the tip amount. The only wrinkle here is that this math has you tipping on the amount of tax, which I don’t think you really need to do?

I double-checked this math with a Tusker House lunch, and it worked for that as well. Touring Plan adult lunch price = $45. $45 + 6.5% = $47.93 (which is what the calculator shows as the total cost pre-tip). $47.93 x 18% for tip = $8.63 (which is what it shows for the tip).

Also, there’s not a “pre-soda” cost for buffets, generally – all non-alcoholic drinks are included as part of the buffet. So you can’t save money by sticking to water.

Sadly, I think that means its estimate of $155 for two adults and one child for dinner at 1900 Park Fare is probably spot-on. :frowning:

1 Like

Yes, I believe you are right. I think people think a TS meal at Disney will cost about the same as at home. That is why the dining plan seems like so much money.

1 Like

In no way did I think it should cost as much as home. I have been there twice on the dining plan and 1x paying cash. I just hadn’t paid enough attention to the total cost… wasnt expecting $155 for 2 adults and 1 child. For that amount, I may try somewhere else.

I guess I need to focus more on touring plans Dining info instead of distripplanner. Thanks for your help @dunegirl

1 Like

My comment was a general comment!

2 Likes

I am also a number cruncher and we are on a budget (probably even a low one for Disney standards) although it feels extravagant. I can’t imagine the dining plan…it doesn’t seem to make sense financially for anyone unless you’re doing tons of character meals.

@dunegirl I’m glad to hear you say that Tusker House is good. It’s the only buffet I’m planning for our trip. =)

@SillySamsMom after much research and number crunching I have determined that the best values for character dining (meaning food quality and some characters…I am not including the “value” of a PPO or the look on your kid’s face) are Tusker House breakfast (will run our 2 adults 3 kids about $160 including tax and tip) and the Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria al Forno ($170 for the five of us including tax and tip). So we will be doing those two character meals and that’s it for our trip. Maybe check those two out!

I have done most character meals at Disney, even the Bon Voyage. We are doing Cape May breakfast for the first time this trip. We are repeating Tusker House and possibly 1900 Park Fare. Or not… I’m still figuring out what I am doing.

We haven’t done Garden Grill or Crystal Palace. Any insight into those?

How was the Bon Voyage? I’m ok with spending good money for decent food and characters…I just personally don’t want to spend good money for mediocre food…

We have done Garden Grill lunch. Ate early around 11:15 on a CL 2 day, so our experience may not be the norm. But we loved it, we lost count of how many times the characters came around. Chip and Dale colored with my kids. Mickey fed my DS (2 at the time). Food was decent too. My DH loved the food there. I was a little distracted manning the kids and the camera. We’re going back in May!

1 Like

Bon Voyage was good food - heavy for breakfast for me… we didn’t leave hungry! If I recall correctly, fruit and breakfast breads to share in addition to your entree.

I thought the male characters had better interaction than the ladies.

Thanks! I’m always doubting my choices for places to eat…you’re making me feel better. =)

Also, I realized that 1) I hijacked your post. Sorry about that. And 2) that I may have sounded snotty in my “I can’t imagine anyone doing the dining plan” comment. Not my intention. We’re doing two weeks but staying off property in an apartment (so my husband’s divorced parents can both be a part…God forbid they come at the same time :roll_eyes:) so the thought of DP prices for two weeks is :open_mouth: for me. I have said that maybe in the future when our kids are bigger and will be able to handle longer days that maybe we’ll try the DP with a shorter stay. My sister swears it’s a good deal and stress-relieving. I’d like to try it one day. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We loved both the food and character interaction at Garden Grill breakfast.

We enjoy both - prefer Garden Grill in both the food and experience - less crowded, better interactions as you feel less rushed and have more privacy with the booths. Food is higher quality and I like the family style versus the buffet although there is a little less selection than the buffet. Chip & Dale are great although Pooh, Tigger et. al. aren’t bad either…

1 Like

No problem hi jacking! It’s all food/Dining related…sharing and we might learn from each!! @polskamichelle

@Damavs I might look into garden grill. Thanks!

2 Likes