Disney cutting the AC?

I believe she said this about Spaceship Earth. (I could be mistaken.) Either way it’s hilarious and true! :joy:

I’m one of those crazies who likes it not too cold. I don’t want to be freezing inside, especially if I’m wet from a ride or rain. I’ve noticed restaurants and shops are usually well cooled, but certain rides and shows (Spaceship Earth, it’s a small world, Carousel of Progress etc.) being a little toasty. It makes it less appealing to find refuge in these attractions when you’re hot.

6 Likes

oh yeah… the AC is spotty in there :laughing:

1 Like

I don’t recall noticing this as much as Disney, but during the height of the pandemic, Universal was cranking the AC and leaving the doors open. This resulted in even the areas outside but near the rides and shops to feel cooler as well. Which was great in the 90-100+ temps.

If Disney was doing this, is this basically saying they are going back to prepandemic AC practices?

I found this fascinating report on Michigan’s electricity situation. Looks like y’all actually generate more than you consume so you’re a net exporter. 11% of your electricity is renewable with 6% being wind, 2% being biomass and the other 3% being a variety of other sources including hydro. Dated June of 2021.

I wonder if the problems they are expecting aren’t due to Michigan but due to having to share your electricity with other states on the grid? We don’t have that problem in most of Texas. Ha! (See what I did there?)

1 Like

Absolutely me too.
I am so cold all the time that in the summer, I don’t mind 80°-85°.

Frankly - now that I live somewhere where it’s 90°+ everyday, 78°F feels cool! Where in NY, we kept our AC at 72°F for a measly 85°F outside.

3 Likes

Similar experience when we went. I was even aware of this and looking for it, because I had read that people thought Disney was skimping on the A/C. If anything, I tended to be on the edge of too cool inside, in both queues and restaurants.

That’s actually rather intriguing. It makes me think the threat of rolling blackouts, and the reasons given, was more a scare tactic than grounded in reality! :slight_smile: I guess we shall see what happens.

1 Like

It is possible that Disney has raised the temperature not to save money, but to control skyrocketing costs?

For the last two years many public buildings have increased their air exchanges and have systems running 24/7. I don’t know if this is true for Disney but in our schools it has increased our costs significantly.

5 Likes

I think this is coincidence and a lot of mental gymnastics.

Spaceship Earth has been borderline uncomfortably warm in hot months for years now. My guess is there’s some HVAC component that’s failed, and it would require substantial down time and cost to fix because of how it’s installed. WDW was probably waiting until the on-again-off-again refurbishment to replace it.

As for the other reports, air conditioners are mechanical systems. While they’re robust as far as mechanical systems go, they do fail from time to time. The “sweating in restaurants” bit appears to be one report, in that clickbait piece, about someone complaining about Hacienda. Given that WDW-adjacent media have devolved into a puke funnel for hysteria, it’s being made out to be much larger than it was.

Most of the HVAC in the parks runs off of enormous centralized chillers. Those kinds of systems run 24x7 already. They’re basically on or off, so there’s not much adjustment that can be done.

Electricity has not skyrocketed in price in Florida. Most comes from natural gas, which hasn’t had the price shocks of oil. The Crystal River nuclear station also supplies central Florida. WDW has also been steadily increasing its share (currently 40%) of electricity from renewables, primarily solar. The great thing about renewables is that once they’re online, their only recurring cost is maintenance.

5 Likes

I’ll admit I didn’t read the article. I know personally for me I don’t feel as relieved with cool air as I used to inside buildings in WDW. But I also have my own menopause/medication issues that could be causing it :wink:

6 Likes

With temperature and that many people you’re never going to satisfy everyone. Someone from Texas and someone from the UK will have very different definitions of comfortable temperature. Add in various health issues, etc. I personally find most places in the US have their AC set far too cold.

2 Likes

I always take a light summer sweater still to keep the chill off at indoor restaurants.

2 Likes

5 Likes

FYI Universal has NOT cut back on AC! I was actually cold inside a couple buildings today! :joy:

11 Likes

We were there the beginning of June and made comment that they seemed to have cut back on the AC, then this article came out. It was very hot, but no different than other trips we have taken in late June and early August.

3 Likes