Disney CEO Bob Chapek Pulled from Destination D23 Appearance Out of Fear

I’m fat, plain and simple. I’m fat because I eat too much and don’t exercise enough. But I did not find her comment in any way insulting of offensive; I took it as a light-hearted comment that was meant in fun. I find the hyper-sensitivity to virtually everything these days, and people looking for any small thing to find offense “out of principle” to be really annoying.

The issue is not her flippant comment, but rather reducing portion sizes and keeping the prices the same as another cost-saving measure.

4 Likes

I agree with you whole-heartedly.

@PrincipalTinker You are correct. She should know better. But fat phobia and fat shaming are super internalized and unfortunately have a long history of being promoted by the medical field, insurance companies, CDC etc with flawed research and self serving biases. It may not actually be obvious to her or the PR team that she should apologize.

2 Likes

But there has been no attempt to walk that back or even apologize.

2 Likes

And then flippantly acting like you are doing it for the customers’ own good. It is kind of a bundle for me.

5 Likes

That was the part that got me, pretending like it was for the customer’s good. And, if you read between the lines they also said cheaper ingredients when she talked about other food sources.

2 Likes

You see, I didn’t see any of this; it never occurred to be that this was some sort of a “justification” or “explanation”. It was just a lighthearted comment.

Was the full comment:

“We can cut portion size, which is probably good for some people’s waistlines,” as one of the possible measures.

“We aren’t going to go just straight across and increase prices. We’re going to try to get the algorithm right to cut where we can and not necessarily do things the same way,”

Doesn’t really seem flippant to me? Regardless- the comments about Scarlett Johansson, the food comments, and the childish response to wdwnt (and yes- I don’t believe that “something suddenly came up”) bother me. If I was a stakeholder I would be concerned about the food comment. They could of said they are concerned about waste- or justified reductions for many reasons. They are not even trying here.

1 Like

Okay. Inflection is everything, and how you inflect that makes a huge difference in interpretation.

So I just went and found the audio recording of what she said.

Yeah. It is no big deal. It was clearly a joke targeting herself. So, I don’t think she has anything to apologize for there in THAT specifically.

Now, as has been stated, the idea of cutting back further including portion sizes as a way to devalue the guest experience is another matter, and where I think people need to place their focus.

2 Likes

That is what I am focusing on. It was stated with the other statement and you can say it was a joke BUT as a business that is looking at maximizing profits (their only goals) they should be able to at least pretend there are other reasons.

1 Like

That’s fine and I agree. But the twitterverse and various blog sites are focused on her waistlines comment, which I think is missing the greater point entirely (as you are pointing out).

1 Like
7 Likes

Sorry, I think I was defining flippant with more “bad joke” in mind. I agree with you that she thought she was joking. I personally did not like that joke as a way to deflect from the bigger issue of getting less for the same. Any joke to deflect would annoy me. THAT joke annoyed me more.

I work in an organization with a customer base. It is easy to get into a mode of “doing your job” “handling the crisis” and working your butt off, and thinking the customer base will understand what you are doing. But that doesn’t always happen and you have to stop and reasses how you are communicating about all of that hard work and make sure you fully understand the needs of your customer.

To make it more complicated, Disney has two customers - shareholders and fans. And they speak very different languages and have very different needs. But current management is fluent in one and does not speak the other.

6 Likes

You did notice that Cape May’s Cafe at the Beach Club Resort no long has all you can eat Crab Legs. Oh you can now get them but they are no longer part of the meal. You want them? $44 a pound. Everything else has been cut way back as well and it is now served Homestyle. Price has not changed but what you get for the money is not even close to worth it. They say the price of sea food is up so you now pay extra. Remember the BIG peeled shrimp? Gone but not forgotten. :hot_face:

1 Like

Sooo I don’t know if this is accurate or not, but apparently Chapek’s scheduling conflict is a dinner and Bob Iger’s house?? I don’t even know what to make of this, did the dates come as a surprise…

Edit: this was tweeted by Mickey Views, I haven’t had time to look up if this was covered anywhere

2 Likes

Hey, I’d rather go to dinner at Bob Iger’s house than D23 too! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Sooo I don’t know if this is accurate or not, but apparently Chapek’s scheduling conflict is a dinner and Bob Iger’s house?? I don’t even know what to make of this, did the dates come as a surprise…

He wasn’t missed.

1 Like

You know, every company must have that one (Worst CEO ever). And he takes the cake. He will not see past 2022. He’s being paid to be the out, the one to blame for everything. The best thing i would call oh Chapstick is a JOKE! And i agree with the others that he wasnt missed not being at the D23.

Just got home- Josh D’Amaro was given a pretty decent reception from the crowd- it helped that he was giving away a ton of stuff lol-

3 Likes

I know I’m far from a C-level position and maybe it’s just me, but I think this company needs someone at the top who has an artistic background or bent, not a suit who couldn’t imagineer his way out of a wet paper bag. They need a storyteller not just a sharp interviewer.

I know the shareholders would wet their bottom lines at the thought but still that’s my two cents.

8 Likes