Disney CEO Bob Chapek Pulled from Destination D23 Appearance Out of Fear

Yeah. That’s consistent with the article as well…or at least implied with the “while some asked the CEO for a quick pic”.

I guess I’d have to remember which vlogger it was and then rewatch to see what they actually said. And, frankly, I’m not that dedicated to the cause!

You just conjured up in my head the scene in Meet the Robinsons when Bowler Hat Guy was toilet papering the Robinson’s house. :rofl:

2 Likes

“Scheduling conflict” is a pretty lame explanation and doesn’t help dispute the assertion that he’s afraid to be in front of fans. It’s the “I have to wash my hair” of executives.

As noted, D23 is a big event, planned for a long time, having a scheduling conflict pop up right before is pretty sus.

It is a fact that Bob Chapek was taken off the agenda at a major gathering/conference to speak in front of fans after receiving criticism. If they want it interpreted as something other than fear, they need to do a way better job messaging than “scheduling conflict.”

6 Likes

Well said

My other problem with the assertion that he was “being heckeled” is that people, without a keyboard in front of them, are mostly cowards. They’ll talk big on the internet but without the anonymity protecting them, they wouldn’t dare say half the stuff they would online in the real world.

So no, I don’t believe anyone actually heckled him. I think vloggers and bloggers want people to think that it happened cause it makes a good story and so they can stir crap up and have everyone feel “they’re not alone” in their hatred for Chapek. (which isn’t needed, but since when has that ever stopped someone?)

WRONG! …he’s going back down to Hell for a software update :stuck_out_tongue: (gotta keep that firmware up to date ya know! Wouldn’t want any humanity getting in there and corrupting things). And you know those updates are constantly a surprise. Just when ya need to get some work done …DING!.. “A new update is ready for you to install.”

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I hope you all are looking a little farther into this. Disney Stock has fallen over $50 per share in the last year. Sure the covid virus has a lot to do with it. Streaming membership is slowing so to make up the difference the plans is to put it on the back of the parks. Find ways to suck more and more money out of attendees. Let’s take a look. No more free Magical express. Not much Mouse keeping. Genie + and lightening passes. Food menu selection very small. More after hours events at huge prices. Constant attraction break downs. At some point the not so rich like me are going to say enough is enough. New CEO? Everyone to their own opinion.

1 Like

This should be enough reason for him to be there.
Watching a grandchild be Pilgrim#4, that would be a good enough reason to miss. Since this has been scheduled for forever, I can’t think of a good business reason other than they think it will go badly. I would guess that he’d say something he shouldn’t.

2 Likes

Can someone tell me where that response from Disney to wdwnt was posted? Are they saying it was a private response or was it on Twitter?

WDWNT is a bit of a click-baity site. I have several issues with Tom. He always acts as if he is right even if his info proves inaccurate. He makes assumptions and often posts rumors as facts. Some examples are when he said that Country Bears and Tiki Room were going away, only to be shot down by Disney the next day.

My favorite one was recently when they announced the Nemo show at AK was getting retooled. About a week before that he said “Nemo show closed permanently!”. And then when the news was reported about a week later, he said (my paraphrase) “as we reported, the Nemo show is being permanently closed, to be replaced by a new Nemo show”. Rather than " we didn’t get this quite right".

1 Like

Slight problem with that one- the imagineer that was working on that one leaked his drawing when he was let go. They weee quickly taken down but were public for a short time, and yes- they ridiculed Corless for the story.

The leaked photos led to his new Twitter handle at the time “no longer unscrupulous “

Adding the screen shot of the Nemo story:

Don’t get me wrong - he is click bait BUT today’s story (and Disney’s ridiculous response) has me unreasonably elevated.

I will put myself in time out.

It was a Disney spokesperson.

https://twitter.com/scottgustin/status/1461031412426059779?s=21

Yes and no… Imagineers do concept stuff all the time. There are thousands of ideas, proposals, etc, that don’t go anywhere. It’s a long way from Imagineer Drawings to an actual plan that is likely happening.

It’s also one thing to say that this is one of many ideas being discussed and that it may happen, it’s another to say that the Tiki Room “will close.”

I generally find the rumors over at wdwmagic or Blog Mickey to be more measured, and generally with a better track record.

Blog Mickey had a couple of stories this week- including one lifted direct from wdwnt (about masks).

1 Like

That quote is missing:

Bob has a conflict in LA on Friday night and couldn’t make it back to Orlando on time. Your post is ridiculous and you’ve really stooped to a new low by making this up.

Wdwnt claims in their story that wdw pr reached out to different outlets. Scott Gustin seems to quote the message he received. I believe wdwnt is claiming the above quote is the message they received.

Which stories?

I saw the exact same quote from the exact same person on other sites. I’m guessing Disney Pr blasted out the exact same note to “everyone.”

1 Like

WDWNT… the self proclaImed world wide leader in ________ !

1 Like

The GOP vote in the House today confirms that they believe it is acceptable to make fantasy videos of your political opponents being killed.

Since this is the clear policy of one of the two dominant political parties in the US, I conclude that booing, scapegoating and making derogatory comments are also perfectly acceptable.

I mention this as a helpful reminder to those of you who support the GOP and are unclear on their views on this issue.

3 Likes