Disney after a hysterectomy

I’m leaving for the world on Saturday!!! and will be joined by extended family Tuesday. I just found out last night my aunt had a full hysterectomy 2-3? weeks ago. I’ve looked up recovery times and I’m pretty concerned about her. We plan to get her an ecv daily from the parks since we are staying off property. She’s not a big coaster fan anyway, but I did think she would enjoy 7dmt. Now, I think it may be a bit much for her. What about the following?
Safari- too bumpy?
Frozen/pirates- hill too much?

Feel free to pm me your thoughts.

Good questions for her doc.

4 Likes

Based on my extensive experience …

Yeah, I got nothing. :rofl:

4 Likes

Her doctor doesn’t think she should go. She insists.

1 Like

Well there you have it

6 Likes

Man, you were just the one I was hoping to get guidance from!

5 Likes

I’m an Ob/GYN NP. I totally agree with her doctor. She’s too early post op. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for her (and you!)

6 Likes

Thanks. I’m pretty nervous about it. I’m sure she’ll end up staying in the rental quite a bit, I just hope she doesn’t do any damage to herself.

2 Likes

Iv’e had a hysterectomy and there is no way. I was younger when I had it (mid 30’s) and in relatively OK shape. I thought I could resume regular activities and go back to work after a few weeks (Dr told me 4 weeks minimum but I didn’t believe her). After 2 days I realized I pushed it way too far and ended up being off even longer. And I was just doing a desk job!
I remember riding in the car and going over railroad tracks was enough to send me into some serious pain.
Good luck!

4 Likes

This is what a friend of mine was told too and she was nearly 70

1 Like

Yep!

1 Like

Thanks for the truthful replies. I can’t make her decisions for her but at least I know a little better what to expect.

1 Like

The exact timing could make a bit of a difference. Will she hit 4 weeks during the trip? If so maybe she’ll be ok in the latter half. And if she’s feeling good now, maybe she’s made an abnormally fast recovery? Just thoughts to consider - no medical advice here.

2 Likes

You do understand what a full hysterectomy is? I am NOT a Doctor but rather a former Paramedic. I can tell you this much. The procedure can cause a lot of bleeding and the surgery takes time to heal. If something tears inside her she will bleed internally and may not be able to get to surgery in time to keep her from bleeding to death. This is NO laughing matter. She will do what she will do but it is VERY unwise. Mind your doctor!

4 Likes

I can’t even fathom going anywhere near WDW that soon after major surgery. I had emergency surgery July 30th (not a hysterectomy), and still don’t have my stamina back.

4 Likes

Stamina.

I went 3 months after breaking my upper left arm. Pirates and Jungle Cruise seemed doable from the comfort of my rocker. At MK, not so much.

Perfectly understand the want to be in a Happy Place. Hopefully she’ll be content to bask in the bubble, quietly.

eta: it’s the climbing out of those pesky boats! I also avoided HM, Buzz and SE because of the moving walkway.

If I’m recalling correctly, the Safari truck was not easy either, for some reason.

Also, there’s a recent thread about an ecv.
Your aunt may appreciate having one for the duration of your trip. There are no trams running, but clambering in and out of them won’t work either. And it’s a hike from the parking lot.

2 Likes

It took my DD ( in her mid 20’s) months to be able to make it a full day at work after her gallbladder surgery. It blew our minds that such a young person would have such a tough time recovering.

3 Likes

She may have felt worse before the surgery and is surprised how good she feels now. Once she leaves the house she may quickly realize how hard it will be and how much her body went through. Hopefully she will change her mind. I felt great within a few days after mine and there is no way I could get on and off rides never mind ride them! It was a victory to sit outside in the sun! This sounds stressful; I’m sorry.

4 Likes

I hadn’t thought of the moving walkways, and getting in and out of boat rides, thank you. For the safari truck, I was concerned about how bumpy it is, but a post above about going over railroad tracks confirmed that for me!

1 Like

It is! Especially to find out less than a week out! Thank you.