Disappointing things to happen

Yes.

And given that I do NOT get all the love for HEA - I found it a jumbled mess that did not know what it wanted to be with music jumps that made no sense - I sadly no longer trust them to make the Illuminations replacement something amazing.

2 Likes

Visited the UK in 1995 and if something could have gone wrong, it did! My biggest disappointment was Stonehenge b/c of the rope all the way around. I wanted to go up and touch one of those stones and couldn’t. :cry:

1 Like

Curious as to what is a classical c/s. DD18 also came at 30 wks. My incisions were both lateral due to urgency, which necessitated next DD also c/s.

They go up and down on the inside, usually done because of the position of the baby. The skin incision is still usually transverse so you can’t always tell by looking.

If your doctor didn’t mention anything special about the incision, yours is most likely a regular one. They’re faster to do than a classical c/s, typically the baby can be born in less than a minute. It is also the most commonly performed major surgery in the United States.

1 Like

This image sums it up pretty well:
You can also have a classical incision on the uterus, but have a low transverse incision on the skin as well.

That pic not entirely correct. The skin incision doesn’t really define what’s underneath. I would use an old vertical scar on a regular c/s since it was already there- by the same token, my own classical c/s is done through an old transverse scar I got with my first uncooperative child.

A lot just depends on what the surgeon is familiar with and can do the fastest, as well as how the lady is built and what kind of previous scars or other surgery she may have had. Also, what kind of anesthesia is used.

Okay so that picture I used wasn’t great. This is better.

2 Likes

Aye. That pretty much sums it up. Oh, how I feel sorry for the person with a T-incision! Oof.

2 Likes

I keep waiting to deliver a baby on vacation (not my own, haha) and it has never happened. I’ve helped with heart attacks on the airplane, yes. Seizures, yes, many times. Babies? Nope. Have you ever?

Also, when I was traveling back from Italy last year, the people behind me heard the flight attendant use my title and were shocked that she knew. They were both doctors and they said they NEVER used their titles on flight reservations. I asked them, didn’t they want to be called in case of an emergency, and they both said no. I thought that was shameful. I couldn’t believe it!

2 Likes

So I gather that I had ‘double’ transverse. Planned c/s ordinarily would have transverse exterior and classical interior? Not sure why I am finding this compelling such a long time after the fact. Thanks to you and Pod for indulging/educating me.

3 Likes

Yes, I think you had two normal transverse incisions. Classical are extremely rare these days, for good reason, so even planned ones would not be done that way.

Nope. The only babies I have caught were in the hospital setting when the doctor didn’t make it. Once I didn’t even have time for gloves, just caught the baby in the bed sheets. I really haven’t encountered much in the way of medical issues that needed treatment outside of work, guess I have been lucky. Once when I was out to dinner, someone behind me started choking on steak, but my husband who was sitting across from me saw it happen and was on his feet headed over to do the heimlich long before I knew what was happening. Seems like he would have had me go, seeing as how he is not medical, but an engineer.

3 Likes

Um, because obstetrics is the most interesting, fantastic subject ever! :laughing: I am guessing most people don’t feel that way, but for those of us that have chosen it as a career…we love to share all this info that lives in our heads. :smile:

3 Likes

As an EMT long ago, I helped deliver a baby at a 7-eleven. That was fun–well, for us, but probably not for the patient! Makes for a good story for all.

6 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

So off topic, but I have to ask… why would anyone get a t-incision?

1 Like

Great story! I cannot imagine having a baby in a 7-eleven. Ewww.

Sometimes it is very difficult to get the baby out, the t is done to get better access. This is not very common, but necessary at times. If the baby has a very large head (as with hydrocephalus), sometimes it is impossible to get through the transverse incision.

1 Like

My mother had to get a t-incision unfortunately with her 4th baby, by younger brother. The dr was performing a c-section because he told my mom the baby was “in the hammock position” and when he made the first incision, my brother threw one of his arms out and the dr couldn’t get a good grip to get him out. So he made another incision. My mom called that scar her “anchor scar.” She went on to have 2 more c-sections. So 3 vaginal births, and 3 c-sections including the rare t-incision. My mom’s a trouper!

3 Likes

Found out my now ex was cheating on me during our first family vacation. Thank god not Disney, but I still refuse to stay in the same hotel. Ended up leaving him there 300 miles from home and drove back in the middle of the night.