Disadvantages of booking lodging outside of Disney system

Ok, I’ve been home from WDW for ten whole weeks and I’m ready to start planning the next trip! I booked our previous lodging straight through the Disney website. I love using MDE to manage lodging reservation, ADR, FP, etc. I’ve read a lot of your comments and heard a lot of podcast talk about either booking lodging by renting DVC points or snagging a reservation on Priceline, and I’m considering these options. I will still buy my tickets directly through Disney.

Question: if I book lodging via renting DVC points or Priceline reservation, what am I LOSING? Will I still be able to use MDE as I did before and book FP 60 days out? Will I still be eligible for EMM? How do I add my booked lodging to my MDE account?

I can’t speak to Priceline, but you can still use MDE if renting points; I did that on my last trip. It was 4 years ago so I don’t remember if the person I rented from entered it with my name or if I was given a reservation number and entered it myself, but I remember it working seamlessly. You will be able to book FPPs at 60 days and ARDs at 180 days. As far as I know, renting points in a DVC gives you all of the privileges you would have when staying at that resort.

1 Like

Excellent, thanks

Be cautious. The issue you risk is having a reservation for which there is no actual room/reservation. If renting, be sure to use a reputable site or someone you know and trust. As far as Priceline and others, it doesn’t happen often but it does happen occasionally.

1 Like

With dvc renting you can’t cancel unless you buy insurance. Very different process. Also 3rd party can’t add the dining plan if you want to use it.

But you can add DDP if renting points usually.

I have rented points and bought my tickets through Undercover Tourist for our trip in 2017 and our trip coming up in TWO WEEKS! I rented through DVC Rental Store both times with success. The only thing I can’t do is change anything with my reservation directly with disney (this includes adding that we are celebrating a birthday this trip). I have added to our meals and to the reservation request fax. So once we get there, I will ask the front desk for the birthday buttons.

So far, I haven’t had any issues with this method. I’ve saved quite a bit of money by renting points and we’re staying in a 1-bedroom which we wouldn’t have been able to do otherwise.

I can still use MDE and get memory maker and make all of my ADR and FPP reservations very easily.

Good luck!

1 Like

When I rent from my friend I have this option - although I have never elected to do it.

rented through dvc rental store twice - worked well and you can add ddp (though we didn’t) I always get point “guard” and did have to cancel once - lost some money, but not an awful lot

I also buy independent travel insurance from www.insuremytrip.com. You can compare costs of travel insurance companies for your trip. they include “cancel for any reason” up to 24 hours in advance, which I usually get because you never know what happens when kids (or adults or humans) are involved. I just consider it part of the cost of the trip. It’s still way cheaper than buying through disney and well worth the money in my opinion.

I like the third option!

The only issue I’ve had with renting points is my constant need to flip flop hotels. I have a horrible habit of changing my mind frequently on where I’m staying. And when I rent the DVC points, I’m locked in, so no shopping! But it’s a much better deal, so I just have to suck it up and make the right decision in the first place and be happy with it!

I have gotten amazing deals on Priceline for rooms; they give you a confirmation number that can be linked in MDE, so I didn’t run into any problems doing fastpasses (bought tickets through Disney) or reservation on site at 180 days.

I’m considering booking a Disney Springs Hotel through Priceline just to get the good deal. However, I’m concerned about whether I will still be able to get the 60-day Fastpass advantage if I book through Priceline. Have you had any experience with this?

I’ve never booked an offsite hotel through Priceline, so I don’t really know how all that works.