Different information in DVC online and My disney experience for guest

That’s interesting. The exposure I have is very different. Catching and Fixing bugs is required to maintain contracts with customers. I.e. military industrial complex and banking. Mistakes are NOT acceptable

That’s true, although a bit different from what I’m talking about.

Okay. Let’s talk about customer-purchased software. A company produces software…and honestly TRIES to do a decent job on it. But, as fallible as programmers are, there are bugs.

Let’s say the company sells 10,000 copies of their software, but there are all kinds of bugs. What financial incentive is there in spending time fixing bugs for software that has already been purchased? From a management perspective, very little. It is pulling resources away from developing the next big feature or next big software that they can sell and drive more sales.

What is often missed in this is the power of the return customer, or recommendations. If I end up with software I’m unhappy with, what are the chances I’m going to buy anything else from that company? Probably not much. But if the company fixes the problems, I’ll be happy and be more likely to buy upgrades or new software from them.

While the situation is different at Disney in terms of how the software is used/“sold”, it appears the mindset still remains that fixing bugs is a drain on resources that doesn’t lead to additional income. :confused:

1 Like

I agree but it does seem that Disney is profiting off a live beta test. Ppl are paying for a faulty system right now :face_with_head_bandage:.

Ironically, though, they are “profiting” (or are they?) by charging for something that helps them pay the added costs the have with CMs to support the back-end problems. So, in a spreadsheet, it looks like they are profiting…because they aren’t associating that money along with the COST to the company of paying employees to deal with increasing call volumes.

The two are directly related, but their proverbial spreadsheets aren’t showing that to them.

1 Like

I can add, too, that it isn’t JUST the added cost of more CMs, but it is that the CMs that ARE working are spending more of their time fixing issues that don’t generate more revenue, rather than helping guests buy a better vacation!

It’s just a mess, and they need to hire me! (or, rather, someone with the experience and passion to fix their mess) to keep this Titanic from sinking known as Disney IT.

1 Like

They do have openings…. Have you looked? Sadly they don’t pay software engineers well.

I’m all talk, but I wouldn’t actually want to do it. What is really needed isn’t more software engineers (although, perhaps BETTER ones would help), but better management within the IT organization that can provide the vision and direction to tackle this. I have plenty of ideas, though. Maybe they can hire me as a consultant at least. :smiley:

2 Likes

It appears they do need help. I would think they would be motivated in consideration of their bottom line and the share holder profits :thinking::joy:

Thing is though that DVC are likely way down the list of priorities for Disney IT.

Yes it would be easy enough to fix these things IF DVC had their own dedicated IT team to deal with them. But I’m fairly certain they don’t, and any fixes have to be prioritised against all the other stuff with MDE, the room reservation system etc.

I’m not defending them but without a DVC IT team there is little that DVC can do to address this stuff. I bet the CMs at Member Services would love nothing more than to have a working system.

1 Like