Did they goof up?

Yes. And they did. Furthermore, at ROFR, Disney is supposed to also make sure that what the contract states matches what the points state…but Disney didn’t catch it at ROFR either!

1 Like

At least it sounds like you’re being made whole! Sorry about the mix-up.

I’m in the middle of selling a contract and realized how easy it would be for me to mess up and book something with the wrong points. BUT I wouldn’t have taken the trip yet, so would be easy to cancel? I think the seller was up to shenanigans. They should be penalized. I wonder if the funds went out to them already.

3 Likes

That’s a good question. The funds were held in escrow, but I’m not sure how long after the process they are paid. It could be that once Disney has “confirmed” things, they pay them…which would have been too soon in this case.

Hopefully the money is still in escrow.

1 Like

I’m glad the broker is making you whole, but I hope they are also going after the seller.

2 Likes

This reminds me that when I bought my first house, between the inspection and closing, someone stole the pool pump out of our back yard. I didn’t discover it for like two weeks when the pool started getting algae. I still have this gnawing suspicion that someone who knew the broker and knew the timing of the sale took it.

1 Like

Sorry for your run of ‘bad luck’ But now that’s 3 and you should be good to go :wink:

1 Like

If you didn’t actually need the points, that is a nice sum off your total. But as a whole, what a mess and how frustrating!

This whole situation is so bonkers! I’m glad the broker is doing what they can to make you whole. Good on you for being so diligent and catching it right away!

2 Likes

Usually funds are released once title is registered…

Good news…they were able to locate points to transfer to our account which will work for our plans. It will take a little time to get through the process, but we should be good once it is done.

7 Likes

I’m so happy it’s being settled correctly. We knew it would though :wink:

1 Like

You need 60 in two different years?

No. I mean, I would if I needed the points to match exactly what the contract originally was…that is to say, 60 points in 2021, and 120 (instead of 60) in 2022.

However, since we aren’t using ANY of the points until December 2022, all we needed was 120 points, either in 2021 or 2022. Points allocated in 2021, we can just bank to 2022 to use them. If they found 120 points with a 2022 use year, we just would have left them alone to use in 2022 as planned.

So, with these points, we’ll have 120 points in the 2021 use year, and then 60 in the 2022 use year. This give us the expected 180 points we can use for our December 2022 trip.

2 Likes

You are losing flexibility. As a DVC owner that almost always books exactly at 11 months because I know exactly what I want/need, I cannot tell you how many times life happens and changes are made.

What you bought gave you flexibility with those 2022 points. You are giving that up.

You are not getting what you bought?

1 Like

I am getting exactly what we need, though…and even the alternative dates we might want would be covered. It should be good.

I get it about not having all the flexibility you would have had with the correct use year, but also with the constraints on the broker (being able to find you an exact match in time for you to be able to book), I would be satisfied with the offer they are making.

Also, if you had to cancel, you could always rent out the transferred points and get the cash value of what was lost.

I just think you should be whole, not almost whole.

1 Like

Ultimately, I don’t think it would make a huge difference.

Had the contract gone as planned, I have a June use year, with 60 points. Those we have to bank into 2022, giving us 180 points to use before June 2023. (I could bank 120 points into 2023, but I would lose the 60.)

With these 120 points, September 2021 use year, I will bank them into the September 2022 use year, and have to be used by September 2023.

All said, it gives a window of using our points by September 2023 without losing any. In the original scenario I would lose 60 points by June 2023 if I had to change plans.

Anyhow, I am happy with things this way. Obviously not as happy as if this had gone off without a hitch, but that ship has sailed!

2 Likes