December 2023 Trip Timing: A Poll!

Ok… in a whirlwind of a morning, I decided that I might be planning a December WDW trip for 2023. I need your help because well… I can’t make decisions anymore. :joy:

For people who have been at the holidays, or are planning to visit, which would you choose:

• Early December 5 night trip
  • Late December (over Christmas) 7+ night trip

0 voters

If it helps to guide your decision- we would probably do more upgrades in early December and a more resort focused trip in late December.

Ideal Trip Goals:
:sparkles:Festival of the Holidays world showcase at Epcot
:sparkles:Deluxe resort tour
:sparkles:Disney springs shopping trip for the kiddos to pick out a Christmas present
:sparkles:Mickey’s Christmas party
:sparkles:Hitting up our favorite rides in each (?) park

Update: I’m leaning towards renting points for BRV. We haven’t stayed before but the new room renovation sneak peeks look awesome! Is this the place to stay for Christmas?

1 Like

I just got back from my early-Dec five-night trip and it was the perfect time! Low-ish crowds, magical weather (roll of the dice, I know), all the holiday spirit. (And probably somewhat lower prices than late Dec?)

6 Likes

I’m interested to see what people pick because I am also having a hard time making this decision!

4 Likes

So far it’s unanimous! Have you been at Christmas?

5 Likes

Mickey’s Christmas party finishes before Christmas, so that means it would need to be from about the 20th to soon after Christmas if you chose late December. Those party dates also sell out fairly quickly.

Over Christmas will be a lot more expensive, which is why I’m struggling to work out why an early December trip would be shorter - unless it’s to do with taking kids out of school.

2 Likes

I am a teacher so we get limited days that we can take outside of breaks. I can only take 3 personal days per school year and they can’t be before or after a break.

8 Likes

Looking like a landslide….

1 Like

Only once, years ago. It’s time to go again.

Our trip was a week long, and I took the girls out of school. I may do that again to beat the crowds, although it’s definitely not as easy to do now that they are (mostly) older. DD6 will be a new addition to a Christmas trip–Wow, that makes me realize how long ago it has been!!

3 Likes

Wow, have he ever had a poll that was so decisive?!

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

4 Likes

Earlier: all the same christmas vibes, decor, party etc.
Later: all the crowds

If it were possible, personally I’d go very early in december, but because we travel from overseas I’m stuck with working around the holidays with a little leeway.

3 Likes

I’m allergic to crushing crowds and now, post pandemic, I need my space even more! I start hyperventilating when I feel people breathing down my neck! :grimacing: :sob: I would opt for an early December 5-day trip.

We were at WDW from December 9th - 24th in 2019. DH and I went to 2 Christmas parties, toured most of the resorts for decorations, did the Christmas Tree Trail, shopped and ate our way through Disney Springs and the resorts for the first 5 days. We even did cake decorating at Amorette’s! DH and I were celebrating our 25 anniversary.

We had a great time. But you can’t obviously do all this and park touring at the same time. We loved the Party but the crowds were crushing, except when it rains!

The kids joined us (after finishing college finals) on the 13th and then we started our park touring. We had two warm days, high 70s, and one very cold day, in the low 50s and drizzling (but made an ideal HS day in terms of crowd level). The rest of the days were very comfortable in terms of temperature and crowds. There was a distinct crowd expansion beginning on Saturday December 21st. So I imagine the week between Christmas and New Year being masses of humanity.

I loved Christmas at WDW so much, DSIS and I went a couple of days last year just to tour the holiday stuff and eat! We toured the decorations at Fort Wilderness. We loved them and wished we had time to see them at night.

10 Likes

Great pics! Looks like a very special time.

4 Likes

Ok, I’m leaning towards a first stay at BRV. This is the right answer for a Christmas trip correct??

5 Likes

Not anymore. What made me the odd one out was the 5 night vs 7+ night trip. If the number of nights had been the same, I ‘d have picked 12/5

3 Likes

That is the hang up for me as well! The shortest family WDW we’ve done was a 6 night trip. If we did the trip over winter break, it would be Dec 19-26.

I also don’t know how I feel about spending Christmas morning there? My youngest will be 6 and that’s what makes me hesitate the winter break trip idea. Well that and the higher costs and bigger crowds.

5 Likes

It also makes me that much more frustrated that they changed our personal day rules this year. Otherwise we could have gone the other 14th-21st!

1 Like

I voted late December selfishly as I hope I will be there then too :smiley:

2 Likes

I promise I’m not being contrary :laughing:

2 Likes

:joy: Never!

2 Likes

Do you have your dates picked?