Dec '23 - How many Christmas markets is too many Christmas markets?

I went to edit the title of this report and the first entry says Mar 20… and I was wondering if I was really planning this pre-pandemic, but that is the 20th of March, 2023.

Now I will admit that I have tried EVERY single premutation to get a DLP visit on this trip but it isn’t meant to be this time. I was hoping to have Santa “gift” the kids a trip as their present which would solve many luggage and shopping problems but the distance killed me. We had 3 days at the end of the trip but it would be 6+ hours each way and I just don’t think we (me, DH or the kids) will be up for that. We may attempt a single day whirlwind trip to Vienna but that is also unlikely.

4 Likes

Current Itinerary:

5 Likes

This trip looks amazing!! I can’t wait to see your trip report! Someday I’ll get to the Christmas markets in Germany :heart_eyes: This weekend, I’m headed to NYC for a 3 day trip to visit DD26 and take in all of the holiday things including the Winter Villages/Markets which is fun and festive but def not the same.

4 Likes

I am hopeful for decent internet and some down time to post pictures.

Definitely make it to the Bryant Park market! I think it’s very authentic! I love NYC in December!

2 Likes

Definitely hoping to see some, while you’re there or upon return!!

3 Likes

Here’s a few from 2017 to set the stage…

Me and itty bitty DS8 ( :scream:) where does the time go…

I’ll never get over just the intricate huts

These were animatronic!

9 Likes

Oh my goodness :face_holding_back_tears:

Animatronic!! :scream:

3 Likes

Very cute!
But yep as my DS19 is driving himself back from Leeds next week -not seen him since early September- they do grow up scarily fast.
My baby starts driving next weekend- that’s 17 here of course

That looks very minimal on ski kit compared to us.

Loving the Christmas llama plan!

2 Likes

These are my favourite ski packing photos before we headed to NZ with conference clothes, black tie, winter holiday cloths, ski kit & Disneyland clothes all packed in

Got to love a packing cube for 4 ski jackets

4 Likes

Same! I haven’t been at Christmas since 2019, but Bryant Park is one of my favorite places to go for the holiday stuff!! It’s definitely at the top of my list!

2 Likes

My DS would love the minecraft style snow pants! I have not pictured the jackets which will be worn on the plane!

I am planning to experiment with the compression bags. Any and all advice for packing light for a winter ski holiday is accepted!

Did you see all the snow Munich got over the weekend? I’m hoping that the mountains got even more!

This is a surprise! There was an option for 11am on Christmas morning too, but I thought I would probably have trouble dragging them away from whatever toys I do end up buying!

1 Like

This was when they were still young enough to want bright colours- the ski pants were orange & lime green with those jackets. We avoided having them on the plane tho.

Packing light- our answer was dont take much but plan on doing laundry frequently! Fleeces not sweaters.

Europes start to the snow season is fantastic. Sadly we’re skiing mid feb then at Easter so hoping it lasts through!

1 Like

So exciting!! I hadn’t been following the planning because I had nothing to add but I’m here for the TR!! :grin:

4 Likes

We’re en route to the airport! We are flying through Iceland and the air traffic controllers are striking tomorrow. Our flight today seems safe but our flight tomorrow to Munich is questionable. Fingers crossed for us!

10 Likes

Our German family usually asks for Reese’s. They are much more available than they were years ago so we just grabbed this as a joke gift. Market Basket had a huge display of them.

This poor soul couldn’t join but we got a new feeder with a camera so we can watch them lol.

9 Likes

:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

:crossed_fingers:t4:

3 Likes

Fingers crossed for you! Safe travels!

3 Likes

Germany and Italy here we come!

(Seeing your flag I wish we were squeezing the UK in!)

9 Likes

Good news and bad(ish) news.

Plane is half empty so we got two rows to ourselves! I’m glad they didn’t cancel us because it appeared that they flew an empty plane here from Iceland. They spent a good half hour unloading weights which was interesting.

Bad news is that they delayed us by 4 hours for tomorrow. It’s fine as they gave us plenty of warning so we will just spend extra time in the hotel.

We met a lovely Icelandic girl in the terminal who is studying abroad at my alma mater, BC! She is excited to be going home for Christmas and made us all miss our exchange student but only two more weeks until we get to see her!

11 Likes