Dealing with well meaning Family and Friends

I agree with @Luigispice! How can anyone spend WDW $$ and not plan? I can’t even buy a coffee maker without research.

6 Likes

She would plan too if she was going by herself, but probably not to the extent I do. She knows I’ve been on several trips already, so she knows I will help guide her through the tough stuff.

I agree. I don’t understand not planning for an expensive trip, or really any trip.

1 Like

I met a woman while getting my oil changed who is taking her family for their first trip this year. I went crazy telling her things. She had told me that her cousin was a travel agent and doing the planning for her, but after a few minutes I could tell that I know more about the world than that particular ta. I made a comment about how she probably wished she hadn’t told me she was going. :rofl:

4 Likes

To a Liner, there is no such thing as “well meaning” family and friends - unless they also happen to be Liners. Depending on how much you like them, you can take the “oh, what a good idea” route, or the “yeah, right” route, or the “what do you think I am, stupid?” route. But regardless of the approach, think to yourself “oh these simple peasants - how little they know”

5 Likes

That’s what I do “it’s only fair that I tell you up front - I know way more about Disney than your typical 33 year old adult w/out kids. You let ME know if you need any tips” said with a little wink and a giggle :joy:

3 Likes

Ok, I’m going to add some more fuel to the fire, but I’m on a few Facebook groups for “Disney Tips” etc. and every day one or two people post, “First timer, what are your tips and tricks?” I have no idea what to do. Like, I can (and have) write a 10 page document on somewhat advanced tips and tricks. I have no idea how to approach the “so this is a FastPass and this is a Rope Drop and this is a bus” conversation. I mean, I want to help, and I want to clear up the inevitable torrent of misinformation which follows, but I am also coming from a completely different universe of planning. I’ve recently just ignored those topics and tried to clarify any blatant misinformation or terrible advice, but it’s hard to figure out how to be helpful without overwhelming the OP and without losing my patience with the OP.

My friends (at least my Facebook friends) generally acknowledge that I have some Disney expertise, largely because I’ve posted regularly when I find good deals, learn new tricks, or am in the throes of planning. I rarely get offers for advice.

I do get a little competitive when a Facebook friend asks for Disney advice and someone else chimes in claiming to be an expert. I kind of want to challenge them to a Disney-plan-off, but instead I just come on here and bask in the insanity.

7 Likes

That is why I don’t join Facebook groups anymore. I’m technically in one that I joined a couple of years ago, but I rarely go on. When I do, I just look for new info and don’t comment. I stopped commenting when the mods started deleting information they didn’t agree with.

3 Likes

Bah yes! Friends of mine just asked for advice and are irritating me because they are just not making time to have a phone convo - the trip is in a WEEK!

Problem is - they don’t even know what they don’t know. :flushed:

One of those where to start without making it overwhelming!

2 Likes

Disney Plan-off? Now that sounds like a fun game. :wink:

4 Likes

My MIL just asked me if we are going to Universal on our next trip now that they are a Disney park. She saw it on a documentary. :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

Sounds like my family. We’ve taken them to WDW a few times, and they do absolutely zero planning because they know I’ve got their back. Normally I don’t even ask them for any input - I just plan a trip I think will be enjoyable for everyone and that’s worked great so far. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My favorite is the classic “I got a reservation at [insert resort or restaurant]! Has anyone stayed/eaten here?”

I always struggle to NOT respond “Nope. It’s been open for X years and no one has ever gone there. They just keep it open in case one day someone decides to.”

6 Likes

I’ve been thinking the same @Tate, I don’t know anyone except friends I have met through the Liners FB page who has been to WDW (well and my immediate family) and everyone knows when they want to go, I’m the one to ask for tips!

1 Like

I proudly described myself as a Disney freak yesterday at my team away day.

3 Likes

I love this :joy:

2 Likes

Woke up this morning to a facebook post from someone reminding me to, “not forget Epcot.” LoL. A fellow science teacher who, like me, remembers the old epcot of World of Motion, Energy, Horizons, and Communicore. I dont know if I have the heart to let her know its not really the same park anymore.

4 Likes

Sorry for the double post, but i also wonder how many of the , “i hate disney” crowd is due to poor or lack of planning which makes the trip unenjoyable. #Liner4Life

9 Likes

We need to embrace and celebrate our crazy!

4 Likes

My friend asked me to help her plan so I started with the real basics - there are 4 parks. She asked if I’d been to them all!! Bear in mind the fact we go for 2 weeks… She then went on to say that even though MK doesn’t have any big roller coasters, she thinks it’s probably worth going anyway to have a look at the castle.

4 Likes

Wait a minute. What do you mean? It still has the jumping water fountains. Oh, and it has these REALLY cool doors that open up automagically as you approach them WITHOUT standing on a pressure pad! And The Land, and Spaceship Earth, and the World Showcase.

1 Like