DC not for Uber-Planners now Trip Report

There is the middle ground of places that require times tickets, but that are available last minute. For example,

Library of Congress is one that, “Free timed-entry passes are required to enter the Library’s Thomas Jefferson Building.”
Available: Advance passes online: Timed-entry passes are available up to 30 days in advance.
Same-day passes online: A limited number of same-day passes will be available online each open day at 9 a.m. ET."

But passes are available for most time slots this week. At open (10 am) seems to be sold out. But, now is probably field trip season.

1 Like

We have lots of things planned and won’t be too let down (I don’t think) if we can’t get the Monument tour. I’m going to try though!!

1 Like

They do release very limited Wash Mon tickets 10am the day before. Or you can line up really early day of in person.

2 Likes

I’m wondering: For a visit to Arlington cemetery, is it best to do the tram tour (or does anyone have experience with it)?

I know it’s not the same, but a good substitute for the Monument is the old post office tower. You get to see some up high views of DC.

2 Likes

I have considered that! I did luck out and was able to get monument tickets, so fingers crossed nothing happens that prevents us from making the time I chose.

Have you been to Arlington cemetery, any advice?

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: old post office tower, fyi, it was the DC Trump hotel but that just recently changed. When I was just in DC I kept seeing it and thinking “that looks like the old post office tower but it looks different” and I was right, I just hadn’t paid enough attention to the news. It is now a Waldorf Astoria. But, neither hotel actually “ran” the tower, it’s run by the National Park Service. I think I remember entering through a Starbucks to get to the tower, but that could have changed with the new management.

Re: Arlington, I was only there as a 5th grader on a tour, during the dark ages. :slight_smile: But, like with a lot of things around here, I recommend metro, to avoid the hassle of having to drive etc (but that’s also just my preference b/c I hate driving). There’s a specific Arlington stop and also several that are close by (I think Pentagon? but am not sure). I’m sure you’ve probably considered this, but be aware that you might see funerals going on or people visiting relative’s graves. Both of my parents are buried in Andersonville, for example, and my father just passed a few years ago.

1 Like

I was there years (and years) ago when it was almost like a cafeteria place. I remember it from that trip and thought about revisiting it.

For Arlington, we will visit on our way in, so driving in and parking is fairly set for us. There is a tram tour that I’m considering that allows you on and off privileges. I imagine that’s what we will do. I remember seeing the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier–that was a very powerful and moving experience for me, and I want to share that with the girls.

I am sorry to hear about both of your parents. I remember Arlington being a beautiful, peaceful place when I visited many (many) years ago.

1 Like

One idea for Arlington. This place has audio tours that you can download. $3 and there is one for Arlington.

We won’t be seeing that. I saw it the time I was in DC before and I was a weeping mess. We also won’t be stopping at the Wall. The Texas version did me in. And I know that they had a silly-strict cutoff for whose name got on the wall, so there should be more. ETA: I’ve never known someone or had any family that died in war.

I did buy the audio tours for the Mall, Embassy Row and Tidal Basin. Even if we don’t use the last two, it is worth $3 to have each downloaded to our phones.

2 Likes

Great–thank you! I’ll check that out.

I’m hoping I don’t get there, but the Vietnam Veterans Memorial did it for me last time.

2 Likes

There was a ceremony I saw at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier when I was on my 5th grade trip that I remember very well, and it is one of my few clear memories of that trip.

2 Likes

I went to Arlington with a friend probably 20 years ago or so as a young adult. I remember riding a tram getting on and off to see different parts of the cemetery. Worked out well for us.

We are heading to DC for a day trip later in July. I made a request for a White House tour, as I’ve never done it and I think my kids would find it interesting. We are also doing the Air and Space museum again for my space loving son. We haven’t been in there since pre renovations. And if we have a time, hop into another museum. We live about 1 1/2 ish hours away, so we drive in on a Saturday and park in a garage we book on an app before we arrive.

My 8th grade twins are going down this weekend for a school trip. They have a packed schedule tomorrow. Ford’s Theater, Arlington Cemetery, tour of the Capital, photo ops at the Supreme Court and White House and an evening tour of the memorials. On Sunday they head to Kings Dominion.

3 Likes

That’s great to know! I imagine it works the same way.

Me too! I won’t hear from that for another week or two, but :crossed_fingers:.

My favorite kind of schedule! It sounds like a great trip for them!! I also have an 8th grader (rising 9th grader).

3 Likes

I really love seeing shows at Ford’s Theatre. Great shows, good price, tends to be much less money than Kennedy center. They do a Christmas Carol every year that’s wonderful. I have a friend who won’t go however because the history of the theatre upsets them. I think they don’t host shows in summer but things changed after covid so I’m not sure.

1 Like

All it says is that they are seeing One Destiny in Ford’s Theater. Looks like it resumed in March 2023.

1 Like

One Destiny is some sort of history thing. I’m not sure exactly, but here’s the link that shows the 2022 to 2023 season; Shout Sister Shout is the current show:

For the National.zoo, it is all about this. They run out of parking, so by having to reserve park passes you don’t have the issuenof people showing up and not being able to park. They always have “walk in” passes available, and those are usually almost always available.

1 Like

Another suggestion that requires last minute ti kets are the Yayoi Kusama Infinity rooms. The exhibit is open through July.

If you are going to be on the Independence ave side of the Mall might be worth checking to see if passes are available. Sullosed to be really cool.

1 Like

Since DC is a big deal, I got input from the family on what everyone wanted to see. DD recently has gotten into vacation planning. DH had to be forced. We have 32 things on our list of things we’d like to see. : ) In a week. Now to prioritize.

4 Likes

Looks like DC won’t be too bad to plan. I haven’t gotten any tickets yet (Well except for the Capital through my congressman). But the first couple of weeks of June still have good availability. Even Saturdays in May are pretty open.
The Washington elevator is the only one that looks tough and I’ll use my DW skills, so if I don’t get it for Monday, I’ll probably get it for Tuesday. We’ll be there for a week.

In unrelated news, looks like the Natural History is getting dropped. Sometimes I look at the stuff that is NOT on our list and I’m shocked. Some worthwhile things are being skipped. But, then I look at the remaining list and it is still long. 30 things and that is with all the mall monuments as one item.

I wonder what the odds are of the Frederick Douglas National Historic Site opening? It is closed for refurb until “Spring 2023.” On one hand, that is now. On the other hand, we are talking about government efficiency here.

1 Like