Day 2 Forum Impressions

Awww shucks! @SallyEpp_cot lol. I guess we could be twins just don’t tell @Sing_a_ma_jig_Keli lol, I think that’s her claim to fame.

1 Like

Yes, @Disneybri - I find that I also leave some posts unread, but I think that will be OK when there are lots of users. I’ve never taken a cruise and am not in the military, so I don’t feel bad about skipping the cruise posts or the Shades of Green posts. It will be a big shame if questions, especially questions from newbies, get skipped. I’m going to make an effort to open anything with no replies. Many people did this in original chat - the bump for help comments - so hopefully this will work itself out.

@ThatDisneyGuy_outer1 - I just got a pop up saying that I’m not replying to people properly. Any suggestions? I’m clicking the reply to each person, and my answers are going at the bottom. Would it really be easier for me to write one long response with separate paragraphs for each person I want to answer?

A pop-up like a system message telling you that? That’s kind of weird. Normally I hit reply to an individual comment if that is who I am replying too, or I use the reply at the bottom if I’m adding something new to the topic. No idea if that’s wrong. I haven’t seen any issues with it yet. I do know that when you reply to someone’s comment it shows under their comment and at the bottom of the thread which I’ve reported in the Meta area to see if they can stop that from happening.

@SallyEpp_cot You are too nice :slight_smile: Liners are lucky to have your kindness around! Also, love your name. My mom wanted to name me Sally!

It’s the end of an era, for me. This format just doesn’t appeal to me. That’s not me ‘not giving it a chance,’ that’s me knowing from participation on other similar formats that this doesn’t appeal to me… its just not a chat. And thats ok, because the vast majority of users wont be impacted by this like I have. I hope the community feel of Lines will continue, but I am unfortunately not optimistic. We really had something special over there :sunny:

1 Like

Aw. :frowning: I’m sad to think that you might not be here. Thanks for the compliments. Maybe staff will make some changes/improvements to the mobile version that will make this a better fit for you and other who feel the same way.

1 Like

@ThatDisneyGuy_outer1, I totally agree with what you said! I was upset at first, but I’m finding many things to like about the new forum. I’m still exploring and learning (still can’t figure out how to post a pic from my iPhone). I hope others will give it a try.

@scrapper1617 if you are pushing the right buttons and it’s just not working make sure to report that to them in the one of the META category threads. If you just aren’t sure how i’m sure someone can explain it. I’m just not an apple person and haven’t owned an iPhone or I would be happy to.

I was just about to tell @SallyEpp_cot to back away and find her own partner for the couples skate!

1 Like

@ThatDisneyGuy_outer, it’s just operator error at this point! I’m not a tech person. I used imgupr in chat, only because I followed MrItty’s tutorial. I’ll keep trying and I’m sure someone will come along with instructions. Otherwise, I’ll ask DD19. Good to have a teen in the house.

There should be a little icon that looks like i chain link sort of thing, or maybe handcuffs lol. That’s the button to add a new link which you can still paste your imgur link into. At least i think lol.

Sorry @Sing_a_ma_jig_Keli. Wasn’t trying to poach. I was going for a sibling vibe, rather than soul mate. I know you have that honor.

Thanks for the help, I’ll try that. I don’t mind experimenting. We’re all learning!

Don’t let her scare you @SallyEpp_cot lol

1 Like

I’m trying to find the positives - and there are some - with the new forum, but it definitely doesn’t have the Liner family feel as of yet. I get that the old chat platform is going to self-destruct as it wasn’t designed for the amount of use it is getting, and it will take too many resources to make good business sense to continue. That’s a shame. I’m hoping that there will be a way to get that same style and feeling in this forum. Loved in Grumpy’s open letter to Len that he said it was “the people and not the software” that makes Liner chat such a success. That is true, yet the simplicity of the chat platform as it was lent itself to a togetherness that is going to be hard to replicate. I’m willing to make an effort with the new format, but am still feeling pretty blue about the change. Hopefully the ‘connection’ will come back as it carries forward, but I’m honestly concerned we’ve lost something great.

I really like the format on my DS’s chromebook and my Kindle Fire (my MacBook needs to be taken to the graveyard so those are my only 2 options at home right now); however, I do not like it on my iPhone at all. The Chat app was so much easier. With the Chat app I didn’t have to log on every time I opened it but I’m finding that’s not the case using this site with my iPhone. Maybe I need to change a setting in my browser but I don’t want to have passwords saved just in case my phone is ever lost or stolen. I didn’t mind the Chat app password being saved because the app didn’t have any personal information.

That’s ok, @SallyEpp_cot. You know I heart you, too.

It all “works” on my PC, doesn’t work on my iPhone (can read, can’t post). The forums are “functional”, Chat was “fun”. In chat, it was kind of like going to Starbucks and meeting with a bunch of friends to share information about WDW. Forums is like going to a library where you go to look up information.

5 Likes

I was really enjoying the format but now that there are all these “trust levels” and “secret rooms” I’m starting to feel ostracized.

1 Like

@ThatDisneyGuy_outer1 Thanks for that. You nailed down many of the things I’ve been thinking myself.

It’s a learning curve. And it will only improve as people use and provide their feedback. Some features may change, some may be found to be unnecessary as things progress.

I’m lookin forward to being part of something on the upstart and being a part of what makes it (eventually) a dynamic planning tool for My Disney trips.

2 Likes

For those of you who prefer the single-list view of Lines, try this link to see if it looks more like Lines: Walt Disney World - TouringPlans Discussion Forums.

CC: @bswan26, @999HappyHaunts, @LoveBug53