Dangling carrot 45th birthday trip report

For now, success at the orchard. Many rotten apples were kicked, thrown and smushed.

9 Likes

Ok. So. The scavenger hunt doggerel must be cheesy, cringe-worthy and just plain awful or it doesn’t qualify. :smile: We (DD amd me) used to do couplets for grandkids at Christmas - they’d gladly forgo regular gift opening to have a a hunt every day during Christmas break.

I love that you did this! :heart_eyes::star_struck::sunglasses:

4 Likes

So, between medical school/residency, kids, an unhealthy relationship with the Costco snack aisle and very little course correction over the past 17 years, I had gained 70 pounds. In early 2021 I changed my diet and started exercising regularly for the first time in years.
I had bought our family WDW annual passes in 1/2020 that we ended up parlaying into 6 trips over 17 months. When the APs expired in 6/2021, I figured I would use my Disney addiction like a dangling carrot to help motivate my healthy lifestyle changes and would not return to WDW until I was “able to at least jog a half marathon” and delusionally made such a comment on this forum to give myself some accountability. I also had a goal to lose 60 pounds.
Well, even as inspired as I have been by all the RunDisney liners, jogging is miserable, so…just, no. I do however enjoy lifting weights and have been doing so regularly for the last 1.5 years now. I also started intermittent fasting and like @ThorKat ’s husband (and Bluey’s dad), I cut the carbs. With these changes I had lost 55 pounds by 11/2021 and have stayed there since. Not quite to my goal of 60 pounds, but I’m the healthiest I’ve been since spending several months hiking on the AT nearly two decades ago…I needed a Disney fix…and to quote the Mediocrates meme from the other thread: ”Ehh, good enough.”

19 Likes

That is amazing!! Way to go!! I’m glad you tagged me too because I started reading this, got distracted by life and then I think it disappeared from my lists!!

Have the best time!! Can’t wait to follow along!

7 Likes

Way better than good enough. Congrats!

I did something similar at the beginning of covid. Felt so out of control that I started taking care of my physical health. Lost 55-60 pounds over the course of the first year, and have been able to keep it off for the last 18 months.

Keep up the good work!

12 Likes

Nice job!

I’m trying too but haven’t been as successful as you 2! I did lose the 20 pounds I gained during chemo (DH made me a lot of bread :wink:)

Thanks for the inspirations!!

9 Likes

Being a research nerd, once I came across nerdfitness.com everything became easier to understand about what did and didn’t work for me.

They have options for paid trainers but all of the info they use is there and free if you want to read it and apply it on your own (which is what I did). I found it to be a great resource.

7 Likes

That’s awesome!

3 Likes

Fantastic!!

3 Likes

Nope … these clues are awesome!

3 Likes

Breaking this trip report out of dormancy to say: Butts in seats

15 Likes

Also, DD on the way to the airport would give @katielouhou abrun for her money

11 Likes

Yay!! Safe travels and have all the fun!!

4 Likes

Yea those eyes are a little wild :rofl: hope you have an amazing time!

4 Likes

Landed!

The kids and I last flew 9 months ago when we went to Hawaii. I was quite disappointed today to find that my son no longer excitedly (but fictitiously) yells: “IT’S MY FIRST TIME!!!” during takeoff—a peculiar habit of his on every other flight for the last 3 years

11 Likes

Things forgotten (so far):

-a clear plastic lanyard thingy for Universal tickets and express passes. A ziplock bag in a zippered pocket should work, right?

-extra socks for my son—will just have to rely on what a 5 year old packed for himself

…and most tragically,

-the Southwest free drink coupons that have been on the side of the fridge for the last 6 months

8 Likes

Those other things are trivial, but this one hurts! :rofl:

6 Likes

If you did this…

Then you will be provided with this…

:+1:t2:

4 Likes

Have a great trip!
Looking forward to following along.
I hope you all love WWoHP :zap::zap::zap::zap:

5 Likes

Thank you! Yes I did and I did not know this.

3 Likes