Current strategy for Hagrids

We have one day at UOR coming up on Jan 20. Our priority is Hagrid’s, since we have not done that one yet. IOA has early entry but according to the website, Hagrids is not running during early entry. Do they let you line up during early entry hour or not? How is the wait time these days and what might my wait be if we are in IOA during early entry doing other attractions and head over to Hagrids close to 9? Does real rope drop for offsite guests happen at exactly 9 am?

On another topic, how is the Velocicoaster for kids who are just barely tall enough? I’ve heard it does not have a shoulder harness which makes me a bit nervous!!

It has a padded lap bar that you pull down from overhead, and the seat has a molded divider between a person’s legs. See this photo:

So, true, there is nothing pressing down on a rider’s shoulders, but the restraint system looks good to me.

1 Like

Oh, that does look more supportive than I imagined…thank you!

1 Like

Check with the app in the morning to see if there’s a delayed opening or not due to weather for Hagrid. If it looks like it’ll open with the park I’d just wait it out if that’s the ONE thing you need to do.

You should be able to experience Hagrid’s with a reasonable wait all day. After the initial rush at opening, the waits will settle down.

There’s always a handful of days throughout the year when crowds are low enough to nearly walk on Hagrid’s. I’ve experienced it before on a CL 3 day. The 20th could be one of those days! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

My son, who’s 55 in, did Velocicoaster and was fine! I’d recommend waiting on Hagrids. Our experience last week was we waited around an hour regardless of time of day and posted wait time. It ebbs and flows during the day, but stayed between 75 and 110 minutes our whole stay.

Yea I am really disappointed with the early entry ride availability. 2 rides and the wand experience. That’s pretty poor IMO. We are planning on rope dropping velocicoaster and then eye balling hagrids close to 9 but more likely heading towards the other lesser big attractions for 9 to maybe catch some walk ons? But isn’t everyone going to be doing that?

Here’s an example from yesterday of the posted wait times throughout the day. It gives you a good idea of what to expect.

1 Like

So first day we rode Hagrids last and when I say last I mean we literally got in line 1 min before closing. It broke down for about 5 min and was a 43 min wait when posted 90. The next day we rode VC front row during EE which put us off the ride at exactly 9am. By the time we walked to Hagrids the line was to Seussland so we waited. We ended up riding it around 3pm and it was posted 75 min (it was posted much higher earlier in the day at 125 min) and was about 60 min with a 10 min breakdown. I’d plan for an hour for it and do it late afternoon or evening over RD when you can do so much else without giving up over an hour of early touring time.

1 Like

Totally agree! We were there last week and waited to ride until later in the day. Two times the ride stopped so they could add more carts. Both waits were around 60-70 minutes. One time we did single rider, which cut it to about 45.

Thanks so much for all of this feedback. Based on the SB ride times, it looks like Hagrids is NOT virtual-queue only these days? I looked at the app and it did not indicate VQ.

there is no Virtual Line for Hagrid’s Hasnt been one in my last two trips (June 2021 and Jan 2022). Last time it was there when I was, Oct 2020

1 Like

Thanks! I guess I am behind on my park news! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sep 2021 they were using the VQ

2 Likes

VL has been used only very rarely the past few months. We were there at Christmas & it never went VL while we were there.

2 Likes

VQ was in effect 20 Nov 2021. It seems to occur infrequently enough that I wouldn’t plan on it. The day we used it all it did was prevent the line from extending outside the entrance to the ride. We still waited about an hour in the traditional queue after our time was called.

2 Likes

Super, all. Sounds like not a good use of our time to spend all of Early Entry waiting for it, and that lines later in the day are not that long. I may try to get in line after the morning rush is over and will keep an eye on the app to make sure it is not going to VQ.