Cultural Misappropriation

@ryan1 I see you typing… i knew that would happen…

1 Like

:open_mouth:

1 Like

It just took me a really long time to find the face I wanted. I didn’t. So I had to settle.

1 Like

I think we are misappropriating this thread/post. :rofl:

1 Like

Im not too good at being PC, lol!

But that isn’t my intent. (Well, okay. Maybe it is.)

1 Like

I totally agree. In certain situations I find myself saying nothing…because I don’t want to say the wrong thing. I agree it’s a problem with our society.

I get that if we are misrepresenting or mocking a culture with costumes, that is not okay. What I don’t quite get is how is it inappropriate to celebrate the awesome family values portrayed in the Coco movie? AND isn’t it kind of the point of Halloween to dress up as something you are not?

Anyway, I love Coco, I love the emphasis on family, and I love how my family could honor that by wearing Coco t-shirts. At the end of the day, though, I just don’t want anyone to yell at me while I’m trying to enjoy the happiest place on earth with my family. I can’t control their actions, but I can anticipate how their actions might effect me…and I can increase or decrease the likelihood of a good outcome by considering how my actions might be interpreted.

We’ll probably just do a sugar-skull on one side of the tshirt, and a Poco Loco type logo on the other side. Would’ve been so cool to do the Abuela, Hemano, Papa, etc thing. Would it be better if we did them in English? Grandma, Brother, Dad, etc?

1 Like

Kind of defeats the purpose :slight_smile: LOL. Get whatever y’all want.

1 Like

While I was not a big fan of Coco (it was terribly predictable to me…I figured out the ending pretty much right away), it was, overall, better than I expected it to be. But, as it relates to the the shirts…just having a Coco related logo, to me, isn’t really saying much. So, having the family role in Spanish, to me, adds a lot. My biggest fear, however, would be that people would come up to me who speak Spanish and find out that mi Espanol es muy malo (my Spanish is very bad).

You could split the difference, though, and have BOTH the English and Spanish versions. Something like having:

Large text: Abuela
Smaller text underneath: (Grandma)

Hermano
(Brother)

Etc.

Not that I think doing so is necessary, but perhaps it might alleviate some of the fear of appropriation?

1 Like

I adore Coco. I’d get the Spanish names.

1 Like

As a Hispanic, I don’t take offense. It’s awesome, the shirts are very tasteful, and not insulting. Just make sure you do not put on a sombrero.

4 Likes

Or merge them:
Abuelma
Abuelpa

But I think that would come off as stupid and misspelllleedd :wink:

1 Like

Just buy it i guess? But it provides great shade!

Everyone knows that’s just silly.

On the other hand, it is quite clear that everyone from Mexico says, “un-da-lay” and “a-ree-ba” all the time! I saw it in a Looney Tunes cartoon, so it must be true.

1 Like

Awfully funny.

1 Like

Indeed. I guess I’m jaded because I’ve seen too many people put on a sombrero, grab a bottle of tequila, put on a fake accent, and just be plain insulting.

1 Like

Spring break at the border perhaps? I live in Texas. I understand where you are coming from.

That’s true of every Disney movie. The good looking heterosexual man gets together with the good looking heterosexual woman. The End.

Did you even WATCH Coco? That’s entirely wrong!

2 Likes

It’s about what happens when you steal a guitar from a tomb. It is really a reboot of tomb raider: coca croft

4 Likes