CR vs. GF

Now that the walkway is open, is rope drop as easy from GF as it is from CR? Assuming yes, which would you choose? Thanks!

1 Like

From pure asthetics, I think GF winsā€¦but the walk from GF to MK is consideraly longer than from CR, so from pure convenience, CR still wins out if you plan to walk.

3 Likes

a heart means I agree w/ your assessment

5 Likes

I am kind of in the same boat. Iā€™m thinking of adding 3 nights on to the end of my trip at BWV at a Magic Kingdom resort for convenience. I didnā€™t like CR on my last trip though I slept in BLT. I thought BLT was nice in itself but just not ā€œDisneyā€. And CR just wasnā€™t for me. I didnā€™t dig the vibe; it felt cave like on the 1st floor and the 4th floor felt so 70s in a bad way to me. But the walk was incredible. I on the other hand think the main area of GF is lovely and very Disney. I have eaten there a couple of times (used the breakfast to take the monorail from there into MK) but the walk does seem much longer and more importantly to me itā€™s much more expensive and is it worth 40% more because thatā€™s the price diff for when Iā€™m going.

2 Likes

:laughing:

1 Like

The walk from CR is about 11 min / 1/2 a mile. The walk from Grand Floridian (based on my calculations) is about 1/3 longer, or ~15 min.

Personally Iā€™m staying at CR (BLT) for a night during a split stay in May. The GF isnā€™t my style - too stuffy. Iā€™ve stayed there once long ago. But itā€™s very nice so I donā€™t think you can go wrong.

2 Likes

I found something online that said the walk from the main bldg of GF to MK is .77 miles and it does say itā€™s approximately 0.5 mile from CR. I personally donā€™t think a quarter of a mile sounds that awfulā€¦however, it might after days of standing and walking LOL

1 Like

Weā€™re looking at 3 or 4 nights at an MK resort to add on to our 4 nights over at Crescent Lake. It would be a DVC stay, so BLT, not CR. I feel the same about the ambience at each place. GF calls to me with all itā€™s beauty, CR is not even a ā€œmehā€ for me.

My party will include my mom and aunt (both over 65) and my 4 kids (9 and under), so that extra bit might make a difference. Plus, the 2 bdrm at BLT has 2 queen beds v. 1 queen bed and 1 queen pullout at GFV. Anyone have experience with those pullouts? Are they comfortable? Could an adult sleep on the pulldown single bed? Is it more comfortable than the pullout?

2 Likes

GF is 100% my style!!

2 Likes

For us it would be a difference of 47 points (4 nights) or 36 points (3 nights). Because of the number of points that I have to use, I could get away with only 3 nights at GFV, but would have to do 4 nights at BLT.

I love the grandiose feel there, but the cost is the part thatā€™s not my style. :wink:

2 Likes

You sound like me with the choices of split stays and your choice of hotels. Iā€™d make my 64yo mom do the extra walking because she runs every day and has run several half marathons in her 60s so I know she can! Iā€™m nice like that! LOL But yes, I understand. I made my mother in law do a hike up a mountain (with stone steps) once and she ended up paying someone to carry her up because I apparently pushed her the way Iā€™d push my own mom and I shouldnā€™t have! So you are very nice to be considerate.

Do you want the extra day you could get at CR? For me an extra day and more beds would probably be worth staying there even with the blah theming. I have only ever lied down on the pull down bed in AoA and it wasnā€™t bad. Much better than a couch bed. As to the single pull downs, they are shorter and thinner than a twin so it depends on the size of the person sleeping in it. My 13yo daughter didnā€™t mind it at BWV but I didnā€™t try it out so I cannot tell you. She is 5ā€™5" and 110lbs so on the thin side. I do not like the couch beds. I slept on the one in the Treehouse last Jan and it was awful.

2 Likes

I think Iā€™d go CR based on the bed setup you mention. But I will say the GFV look beautiful to me. Iā€™d rather stay there than the regular hotel. Such a tough decision!

1 Like

Yes, my mom can totally handle it. Sheā€™s in better shape than most of the 40 year olds in my family. My aunt on the other hand is not as fit.

Ugh. Itā€™s my 40th birthday, so Iā€™d like to be selfish and go with GFV. But Iā€™m a mom of 4 young kiddos, I think Iā€™ve forgotten how to be selfish!!

1 Like

:laughing: Yeah, itā€™ll come back to you at some point. Now mine are teens and want nothing to do with me most of the time I feel a little more selfish. But I only have two and every time one needs money in their teen checking account or a ride Iā€™m there too. This is pretty much my role in their life now, provider of funds and uber driver.

1 Like

I agree w/ @Jeff_AZ; GF is too stuffy for me. Itā€™s also the most expensive resort on property and would explain the ā€˜stuffyā€™ feel. Although Iā€™ve not been made to feel out of place by CMs in the shops or restaurants there. I feel out of place b/c I clearly do not dress the same way GF guests seem to dress there, Iā€™m out of place, out of financial/class place in that regard.

3 Likes

Also Happy big 4-0 coming up!

1 Like

My life is groundhog dayā€¦cook, do laundry, wipe butts, referee sibling arguments, repeat. Oh, and try to throw work and homeschool in there when I can!!

Thank you!!

2 Likes

I didnā€™t feel that way when dining at GF but my hubby mentioned something about the guests at CR this last stay seeming uppity. The only time I have ever felt that was on my big splurge on my honeymoon we did an overwater bungalow at the Four Seasons in Bora Bora. Iā€™d get on the boat with the guests with their HUGE diamond rings and their talk of this was just a surprise trip by my hubby for 2 weeks (we only did four nights and got one free as part of a special) and I did not feel I fit in at all. I much prefered our other French Polynesian island stays in less fancy hotels nearer the locals. So I can understand how that can make a person less enjoy their stay though. Maybe Iā€™m just not paying attention at the GF because Iā€™m at Disneyā€¦it does change me. LOL

3 Likes

Let us know what you decide because Iā€™m curious. I have yet to make up my mind. I missed the boat on GFV as they are gone both for rental and through Disney. I donā€™t own DVC. So I am now just waiting to see if there is a sale next month for next June to make my decision b/w the regular hotels. I still havenā€™t made up my own mind so Iā€™m very curious what you decide. I can still get in on BLT too with rentals so I may do that too depending on if/what the room sale is. Keep me posted. When are you going?

1 Like