Covid- Vaccinated-no kids....would you go?

My DH and I just had a serious conversation about this very issue today. Our trip is September 14-22. We’re both vaccinated and do not have any unvaccinated children close to us. I’m high risk – heart disease, type 2 diabetes. DH is high risk – type 1 diabetes. And we’re both over 50. So…

Yes, we’re still going. It would be very different if we had children who couldn’t be vaccinated; I’m sure we would postpone. But as it is, we really want and need some Disney. It has been FIFTEEN YEARS SINCE WE EXPERIENCED THE MAGIC, AND WE NEED A FREAKIN’ VACATION. Ahem. Sorry. Didn’t mean to shout, but y’know, it’s been a stressful year and a half. (And the thirteen and a half years before that without a trip to WDW.)

We’re grown-ups, and if we feel threatened, we can put on our masks and get out of the crowd. (Trust in Moderna, amen.)

I hope you have a wonderful time!!!

10 Likes

I’d go.

2 Likes

I’m going. Also from Canada. I’m going for two weeks at end of September. I am hoping this current wave has run its course by then.
I am fully vaccinated, no kids.

I went twice during the pandemic - Sept & Nov and managed to avoid it. So hoping the avoidance continues. I will be wearing a mask indoors.

4 Likes

All negative. Will recheck in a few days.

9 Likes

I vote yes, plus all of the above.

1 Like

It depends on how long the line is. We have never had strangers seated w/ us since C-19, but there’s never been a line for us either (always a walk on). You can also request a car to yourself.

2 Likes

Yes! We all set to go mid-October, all adults, all vaccinated.
Based on crowds, I think I will wear a mask indoors, but not outside.
Also, hoping by then - 10 more weeks - things will have slowed down and more will be vaccinated.

1 Like

Florida and Texas are ahead of the rest of the US right now, but the rest of the country will be following suit. Michigan is already starting to climb. Florida has better vaccination rates than Michigan does.

Based on UK and India, it should spike quickly, and then fall as quickly, hopefully.

Still, we have gone back to wearing masks indoors here (voluntarily) because we have to protect my parents. We are all fully vaccinated, but latest reports are saying being vaccinated is only providing about 40% protection from infection compared to previous variants. So, with delta on the loose, and the elderly still at greatest risk even when fully vaccinated, we are being cautious again.

3 Likes

What is your Covid testing plan? I assume you can get the test here in Canada before you leave, but what is your testing plan to get back to Canada? Will you be finding a facility near Disney?

1 Like

I’m in Alberta, so plan to get the $40 antigen test at Shoppers Drug Mart. Then if still free, I’ll do the Walgreens ID Now test. I’m staying off-site so I will have a rental car and able to do the drive thru testing.

2 Likes

I guess I am in the minority here. I just canceled our trip yesterday for 8/13-8/19. Reservation was at BCV for myself, DH, DS (21), DD(19). All fully vaccinated. Tough call. Based on current cases in counties surrounding Orlando, I just didn’t feel it was safe. I did not have expiring tickets though, so that makes a difference. In my opinion (and I know others feel differently), WDW is not doing enough right now to protect people from Delta. Bringing back indoor masks was not enough for us. Given that a lot of children visit WDW, I was surprised that they dropped the mask requirement in the first place. They have removed most physical barriers and social distancing lines in the queues. There are no temperature checks. There is no social distancing at a time when the pandemic is on the rise again. Also, while removing most safety measures, they have increased capacity to pack the parks again. There is no fastpass system in place to allow you to escape some of the long lines. Also, by all accounts, they are short-staffed. I really hope by the time you are ready to travel, things at WDW have improved. But sadly for us, we didn’t want to take the risk.

4 Likes

The reports of CM encouraging people to “fill in all available space”, basically denying people the ability to try to maintain their own space, seems really out of place given the current conditions.

8 Likes

I have participated in a few medical advisories about schools. The medical doctors are all saying if everyone is masked the data shows you are safe. The example they use I are school buses. Positive students did not spread covid if they were alone on a seat, double up, or theee to a seat.

4 Likes

I’d go with an N95 in all public indoor spaces and no indoor dining.

2 Likes

Before Delta, yes. Delta is far more contagious. 3 to 5 times more contagious, actually. And masks aren’t doing nearly as well at containing it. Still helps, but not enough. And the whole 15 minutes exposure thing no longer applies.

2 Likes

I have not read any studies that show that the spread is not impacted by masks? It is definitely not what schools are being told. Are there studies/reports?

We just had a case of delta in school, all masked indoors- no spread,

2 Likes

Masks are the deciding factor for me. If they are required, I will not go.

1 Like

masks protect. Vaccinated or not. ONE second of exposure to Delta v. can lead to an infection. The only way to prevent the spread for all is a mask.

I don’t think they know for certain yet.

If the CDC thought masking alone was enough, I don’t think they’d still have 3’ in the guidance for schools. I know they are still promoting layers of mitigation. But I don’t know how much of that is due to imperfect masking.

“In addition to universal indoor masking, CDC recommends schools maintain at least 3 feet of physical distance between students within classrooms to reduce transmission risk. When it is not possible to maintain a physical distance of at least 3 feet, such as when schools cannot fully re-open while maintaining these distances, it is especially important to layer multiple other prevention strategies, such as screening testing.”

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/k-12-guidance.html

Delta means re-checking everything, unfortunately.

1 Like

Yesterday Dr Walensky said the combo of vaccinations and masks were what we needed to keep students in schools safe.

I think that would apply to a queue in Disney?

3 Likes