Could be a good “sign!”

Saw this on fb in the DLR AP page:

Hoping this is an indication that they are opening soon!

9 Likes

That makes it look like really soon, like tomorrow! Why else would you put up free standing signs like that?

1 Like

Here is the quote from Governor Newsom regarding theme parks from yesterday.The Governor was responding to a question about nail salons and volunteered this info.

“…includes by the way conversations that are ongoing, just as a reminder, for theme parks, amusement parks and the like. There is still many areas where we are open ended in terms of our negotiation, making progress and advancing in the same space. Getting closer to concluding when and how to safely those sectors”

1 Like

I don’t typically watch much “FreshBaked!”. (IMHO - he takes Disney “too seriously”. I get that is his job / side hustle, but even I have my limits on how “extreme” some Disney fans can be!)

However, he was out at DLR last week and shot this video. You can see DLR putting out elements like comfort floor mats for CMs, hand sanitizer dispensers and more in prep for reopening.

3 Likes

I am hopeful we are moving in that direction!

1 Like

I am coming up on the “fish or cut bait” deadline for my October trip. I need some answers, Disney! (Or Gov Newsom!)

3 Likes

My trip was for this weekend! :crazy_face:

I’m kinda glad I’m not going because the temps have been insane! It was 107 F last weekend!!

I really want to go for Fall / Halloween, but I know my DW can’t / won’t do 85+ F at theme parks - which seems pretty regular in Sept. (I thought CA was supposed to be “breezy”!!)

I share my Birthday with Walt. So our 2021, hopefully, trip may get rescheduled to December. It looks to be low 70s that time of year.

1 Like

This year is extra hot - one heat wave after another. I would bet next year will be relatively temperate. Mid to late September is usually ok.

1 Like

well… I was there the last week of October 2019 and it was in the 90s all week YUK!

4 Likes

Him…

1 Like

@darkmite2, @Jeff_AZ , @vcka

Over a 100 degrees is way hot but even in the 80s and 90s, it is still manageable at DLC because it is dry heat!

3 Likes

I’m leaving for SoCal next Thursday for a week. I was so hoping DLC would open. But, I’m returning at the end of October. So there is hope for me and DLC still.

1 Like

It would be for me - I’ve lived out west & get the difference. However, my DW only “kinda” likes going to Disney / Universal & overheats easily. More than one trip to a park or vacation has come to a halt because we have to stop so she can cool down for an hour or two. (which then typically turns into “take me back to the hotel…”) :hot_face:

The more I think about it I’m OK with a December trip for us together. It’ll be cool, she’s never seen Christmas at Disney and I’ve always daydreamed about celebrating Walt & I’s birthday together at “his” park. I think it will be a great first trip. (I reset my countdown yesterday… I’m back up to 443 days. :crazy_face:)

(Plus, I was planning on going to the 50th at WDW for two weeks solo - so I may get a Premier Passport. If I do I may swing back out to CA the following year to do Halloween stuff for a couple days solo)

4 Likes

It really depends on where you are coming from. My sister and BIL came in From SF and were dying in mid September (it was about 92). Then a couple of years later we met them the Sunday after Thanksgiving. They were much more comfortable with the weather then vs Sept heat.

A couple of notes about the heat. It is actually not that dry of a heat, at least compared to what we are used to. I live in central CA and we have a really dry heat and often spend the bulk of our summer in 100-112 degree heat. When we go in July and September we have found it to be relatively warm 90+ and more humidity than we are used to and as a result, we usually are hotter there than at home. Now if we are comparing to WDW, DLR’s humidity Is nothing compared to that! I went in early May and was sweating the entire trip! Another note is that Anaheim is very close to the coast and at night it can get chilly, even on the hottest days. Last July I was freezing while watching WoC, something that did not happen to me at WDW in May.

@darkmite2 I am bummed that you will not get to see all the coolness of DLR at Halloween time, but DLR is equally amazing at Christmas time. It is a toss up of which season I love more at DLR. It sounds like your wife will be able to enjoy it far more if it is cooler.

3 Likes

I second all of that. 80s - low 90s in Anaheim is much more bearable that it would be at WDW, though still not exactly fun. But high 90s and low 100s is intolerable (I’ve done it before but we swore we never would again). I’ve been surprised though how often I’ve started and/or ended my day wearing a jacket, even if it’s scorching during the day!

2 Likes

SF, along with the communities just to the south of it along the ocean, tends to be cold and foggy, even in the summer. The warmest times in SF is September/October. I worked one summer in SF. I had to wear sweaters, long sleeved shirts, and long winter coats everyday. When I got off the train after work, 20 miles east of SF, I would be sweating buckets as I walked to my car.

We are not as consistently hot as the Central Valley on the East Bay. But we have been in the 80s and 90s all summer with a couple of heat waves into the 100s so far. But we don’t get the humidity of WDW! Like you, I much rather have this type of temperature than heat and humidity of WDW in the late Spring through parts of Fall! We were sweating buckets in WDW and lethargic the entire 2 weeks in August! We went last December and it was so much more comfortable, kinda like home during mid-Spring.

Maybe we are a bit more humid than the Central Valley, but we don’t mind the heat in SoCal. And being cold at both ends of the day in Anaheim is like home. I have to remind my family to bring a jacket to DLC or we’ll end up bringing home another “souvenir” from the Emporium on Main Street that we didn’t intend to buy!

1 Like

@Ms.BarbsWildRide Yeah… I was talking to her about it just last night and she is far more happy hearing about the annual December temps than even the normal Sept weather. If our trip had actually happened this weekend, I think she’d done her “typical” 2 - 3 hours and then leave before lunch.

This trip is supposed to be our first real “empty-nester / date” trip since our daughter started college this year. I really want to spend as much time reconnecting with her as my best friend / wife instead of being a “dad”. She’ll still want to take a mid-day break, as I’ll go RD to close, but is more likely to come back in later if it’s not 80+ in the evening!

4 Likes

@darkmite2 I think Christmas at DLR is superior to Halloween in all but one way and that is the overlay on GOTG. I’m sad you will miss that. :frowning: But I don’t think you’ll regret being there at Christmas time.

I have frozen at DLR more times than I can say. The evenings can be cool especially when the wind picks up. Definitely bring a jacket!

3 Likes

I always say… I can add a layer, but there’s a certain point where I can’t take any more off & still be in public! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I am probably in the minority in that I’d rather be too warm than too cold. But I find it very difficult to get warm if I pass a certain point.

2 Likes