Costco travel

I’m not currently a Costco member, but I’ve heard of the travel packages mentioned on here before. Can someone who has booked with them answer a couple questions for me?

I’m able to look at the Costco Travel site and see what packages are available, but since I don’t have an account I can’t get past the package selection to see if taxes are added onto the price I see or if tax is included. Does anyone know if the packages include tax?

My in-laws are Costco members. Would I be able to book travel for my family through their account for just my family, not including the Costco members, or would that break the rules or cause me problems later? I know, it’s not a big deal to get my own membership, but I don’t want to shop there and I’m trying to save money, so that’s why I ask.

Once the package is purchased, will it link into my MDE account so I can see it as if I had booked directly with Disney? Will I be able to make changes myself if needed or will I only be able to do that through Costco Travel? The main thing I am thinking of is if Free Dining happens to be offered when I’m there, will I be able to modify my reservation in MDE and add the Free Dining package or will I not be eligible for free dining because of the Costco package deal already including a room discount?

I’m not ready to actually book anything now, just trying to figure out my options. Just got back 2 weeks ago, so it’s time to start planning, right?

Thanks in advance!

Howdy,

I can’t answer how changes might be made when booking with Costco - I assume they act like a TA and you have to work through them(?)

But, I did crunch some numbers last month out of curiosity when Costco came up in the forum - I was able to do more better than their packages by crunching booking rooms through Undercover Tourist and buying reseller tickets. Costco deal was slightly better for the deluxe resorts, but still a reasonable amount of money more than buying yourself ala carte.

Not sure if the Costco deals change, so my numbers are not definitive - just done for a random week.

Here’s the forum thread: Costco info needed - #2 by PrincipalTinker

3 Likes

I cannot speak to all of your questions but am currently in Hawaii where I booked 2 Costco Travel packages (1 in Kona, second in Honolulu).
I am a Costco member and needed my membership number to sign up with the Costco Travel site but it is a separate site with its own login. Our packages have me as the “lead” traveler because I established the account and I am not sure I would be able to book a trip if I wasn’t traveling. So don’t know if the in laws could help you (?)
What I can tell you is that you really have to read the fine print when comparing the packages. Resort fees were included in our Kona package, but not in the Waikiki package. Kona included rental car but Waikiki includes breakfast buffet.
Attached pics (hope I figured out how to do it) has information from my packet, hope it helps.

1 Like

Ah, and I meant to say: I just tried Costco now and it looks like the amount includes tax all the way through. I got all the way to the last step before actually entering my info to purchase and the amount remained the same.

Thanks!

Do you get the 2% back when ordering a travel package from Costco with an Executive Membership? @PrincipalTinker, do you know?

Nevermind, I found the answer:

For Executive Member purchases made directly from Costco Travel departing on or after September 1, 2017, a 2% Reward will be applied after travel is completed. Travel purchases departing prior to September 1, 2017 are not eligible for the Executive 2% Reward. Excludes taxes, fees, surcharges, gratuities, trip protection, and portions of travel purchased through a third party such as activities, tours, baggage fees, upgrades, rental car equipment, resort charges, port charges, resort and cruise line fees, and similar extras.

That may be worth paying for a Costco membership if you don’t have one. We always get back way more than the cost of membership each year.

1 Like