Coronavirus projects

I hope it is okay to start yet another COVID-19 thread that is not Disney related. It is the topic that is uniting the world.

But curious…what projects are you planning to get done during this shelter in place time?

Yesterday, I installed some pull out drawers in one of our kitchen cabinets because we are getting new appliances on Monday, and the new stove no longer has a storage drawer in the bottom. This required figuring out a place to store our lids for pots and pans.

And this weekend I am ripping up carpet and installing laminate in my DS20’s bedroom. After that, I’ll do the same in DS17 and DS10’s bedroom.

A couple days ago I set up a pantry area for the overflow of quarantine food in our basement.

What about you? Using this time at home for any projects?

4 Likes

We have a few. Some home organization and finishing the painting in one room, possibly painting a 2nd.
I also have a backlog of personal projects, including writing down some of my favorite stories about my grandparents. I’ve been trying to compile more ‘family legacy’ information over the past couple of years and that’s been a time consuming part that I’ve avoided.

1 Like

Great idea for a thread!
We won’t be doing major projects because neither my DH or I is very skilled with that type of thing and we are both still working.
But I have done some cleaning/organizing of cabinets, drawers and dressers. I really want to help both of my DDs clean out their rooms in preparation of them moving out some time this summer.

1 Like

We had been down to 3 hens for the last two years so I picked up 5 pullets from TSC and got the brooder going—figured it would be a good project for the kids since we won’t be going anywhere for a while

2 Likes

I’m hoping to finish some cleaning in the house (straightening up items, putting away laundry). I have a Schitt’s Creek cross stitch I’m almost done with. And I bought a “how to crochet” kit from Bluprint.

I work for a software company that serves retail, so this has been a long week.

3 Likes

II plan on doing some major home organization. I’ve got Marie Kondo’s book and I plan on some life-changing tidying!

I’ve also been wanting to paint a few rooms. I’m thinking about going to pick up some paint. The organization comes first, though!

3 Likes

Spark joy!

3 Likes

Around the house not so much, deep spring clean the yard, maybe paint a bathroom. A personal project I want to work on is a composite photo of SWGE. When I was there in January I took 100 images that I want to composite together. Other than that, scanning heritage photos/ emailing my dad for stories, writing, and photography.

2 Likes

Also had the kids (age 4.5 and 3), help me clean out the garden beds the other day and will plan to get a spring garden in. Also going to get some seeds started indoors in the next couple of days. I don’t get a chance to do this every year between my work schedule and the kids, but I already have all the stuff at home and keep my partially used seed packets in Tupperware in the fridge from year to year and have had decent germination rates over the years from seeds that were packed even 10 years ago.
Then, of course, there always seems to be some trim work that needs to be done around the house…but, I won’t delude myself

2 Likes

Just a thought. Not all of you will be able to do this and that is me as well. I wish I could use a sewing machine better than I do. There are a number of Utube sites that show how to make face masks to protect against the virus. If anyone thinks they could do this then contact your city managers or hospitals or emergency services to ask if they need this type of help. Not my ideal but was on facebook and I think the mayor of NY said something about it. I sure wish I were younger and had more energy to be able to volunteer for various things and if they started a ventilator manufacturing factory I would be will to try to assemble them for free. Want to provide some magic, here’s your chance.

4 Likes

IF if stops raining and warms up or we get gentle breezes I’ve got yard work to catch up on after the spiral fracture of my left humerus in April, 2018 pretty much put a stop to all that. Some of the mowing got done but no real weeding or keeping sprouts (now small trees) controlled. Upkeep of drainage structures also suffered.

And, during rainy cold weather we’ve been remodeling 4 rooms of the house to accommodate 4 of our great grandkids (& grandson) being in the house more.

Altho today is apparently movie day - Captain America the first Avenger - as my grandniece and I continue introducing DH to the MCU.

1 Like

Sanding and painting entry cabinet doors. Painting set of 7 bookcases. Painting kitchen cabinet doors. Tidying up, which is my world is making bags and bags of stuff to donate. Spending an incredible amount of time with my kids doing schoolwork. Ugh.

3 Likes

I think I need to add this to my list as well.

1 Like

I have to work from home😦 some days I have to go in. But today I am cleaning the bathroom really good, washing the shower curtain, floor mat, really giving it a good deep cleaning. If it gets warmer I want to clean up the yard. I

We started to finish our basement at the end of last year. We are throttling up our progress now (although we both work full time and are 100% WFH so not a lot of additional time to work on it during the week). We are finished with drywall so primer and painting is up next! We were targeting to have it completed by the end of this year but now it looks like it will be much much earlier!

1 Like

I am currently working from home, but the amount of hours I have varies from day to day. I suspect I am in this for the long haul. I am part of a contract that works within a school district. They are not giving us an official date, but I strongly suspect that I will not be back on my regular schedule until fall. With that said, I am busy deep cleaning the inside of my house in between working. We are also taking more time to teach my oldest to how to drive. DH is a first responder (firefighter) and is home for 4 days and gone for 2. I am trying to talk him into painting the house (inside and out) over the next several months. We are also in the process of planting a more substantial garden. I wish I could sew. I would love to volunteer to make masks. We live a stones throw from our local children’s hospital and would love to help the out.

Since I don’t have to spend 80-120 minutes a day commuting, it’s amazing how much free time I have!

We had just completed a full kitchen remodel shortly after President’s Day weekend and had other projects in mind. But with COVID-19, we are going to stick with DIY projects.

I need to sew some curtains for the kitchen. We love not having curtains during the day to look at the birds and other critters in our back yard. But at night, we would appreciate some privacy, even though we back into a hillside with no back neighbors. Anyone else agree? Or would you leave the window curtainless?

We have been changing out the honey oak look. To save money, we have been staining cabinets. We’ve finished the bathroom, the fireplace mantels, and a crown moulding. The banister will be stained and the spindles which will be white are the last pieces. I didn’t think we were going to finish that until the end of the year. In 5 days, we have stained the banister twice! If we continue to shelter in place, I think we will be done with the banister and spindles before the end of April.

If we have time after finishing the banister and spindles, we want to lightly sand the mantels and crown moulding to strip away a layer of clear top coat. It was suppose to be satin. But it came out shiny and we don’t like it.

I can organize pictures and put more of them into digital albums! The digital picture world has become a nightmare with the volume of photos we accumulate! We finished a 15-day WDW trip December 2019. I’m itching to get those organized so that we can reminisce and enjoy the memories.

Plan my next WDW trip, which won’t be for another 5 years. I can start sketching out days and places we may want to eat at.

3 Likes

Adopting 2 cats. Finally! :slight_smile: I was actually talking to the person who’s rehoming them before this all got so bad, but we decided to take the plunge. It requires us to do some big reorganzation / cleaning in our house so that’s a good incentive. We’ve all truly missed meows and purrs over these last 4 months since our beloved elderly cat passed away (the Kitty Ella of Kitty Ella’s Mom).

5 Likes

If you do end up making masks, I’m thinking the best material (that is to say, the material that I would prefer) is the stuff that a lot of the reusable shopping/grocery bags are made out of. I don’t sew and am not sure if that material would be easy to work with but it is breathable, lightweight and somewhat stiff, so it won’t end up just getting sucked into our mouths when we try to breath

1 Like

TSC I graduated from TSC but I think you are talking about Tractor Supply Co. TSC is now TCNJ.