Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

You’re welcome. I mean, if I need to bedrest at least 90 min a day, might as well doomscroll Twitter for Covid updates, right? :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

8 Likes

3 days later and my arm is still bright red, hot to the touch and I have a headache. My arm is also a little itchy. I don’t think this is ‘covid arm’ bc the symptoms started pretty quickly after injection. At least it isn’t painful I guess. Mom is 100% normal again thankfully.

4 Likes

How much longer is Twitter goi g to be around or the people you follow?

3 Likes

That’s a really good question. I’m not sure I’m up to tracking them all down on other platforms, but several I’m already subscribed to their blogs or podcasts or whatnot so I’ll be able to keep up to some degree regardless. Most of the main ones I follow have said they’ll stick around for now, but some of the more minor ones have left or “gone on break” already. I’m hoping this is just a rough transition and things will be mostly ok on the other side.

In full disclosure, we do have a handful of people in our NDPH group that their headaches came close enough to their vaccinations they suspect it’s related. But, the general consensus is they don’t regret getting vaccinated, because if it’s a reaction to the vaccine, they feel pretty certain they would have had the same reaction (or potentially worse) to being infected. And since infections (and reinfections) are pretty much a given and almost unavoidable at this point given broader societal choices, they feel they are still better off overall having been vaccinated. Although, it’s all a bit murky since most of them were also infected at some point. FWIW, at least one of them got the AZ vaccine, so it’s not just potentially mRNA vaccines.

Just to emphasize, we have dozens and dozens of newcomers from infections and only a handful from vaccines. It does generally takes years to get a NDPH diagnosis since they first rule out a bunch of other stuff then try to treat it like a migraine. Eventually they may get dropped into the NDPH bucket and then stumble upon us sometime after that.

Also, I know the Yale study on Long Covid is intentionally trying to pick up participants with potential vaccine injuries to see if it’s all the same underlying physiology and potentially treatments.

5 Likes

I’m scared of covid. We’ve managed to avoid it thus far but I know it’s only a matter of time. If long covid didn’t exist we’d be back to normal however, with all the shots and potential treatments. I have to use a flight credit before the end of 2023 and was going to use it this Jan but keep balking. I also am supposed to go on a cruise next fall but am seriously thinking of canceling (that’s also financial and time off related though). I have concert tix in a few weeks I’m seriously regretting too since it’s indoor.

4 Likes

It really is a bit of a conundrum.

I have sat down with so many napkins full of ballpark calculations and skimmed so many studies, trying to give myself a reality check and re-ground myself.

If all (or even a significant portion) of society were taking what I thought was even a remotely reasonable level of precautions (perhaps something akin to spring 2021 or even a step or two or even five down from that), I’d feel like my level of concern was totally irrational.

I just can’t get there. Whatever is motivating the status quo, it is not science or data driven from any way I slice it. “We don’t care, we WILL have normal.” I guess?

It truly feels like a fool’s errand.

So how ever irrational my Covid concerns appear, I can’t help but feel they are more than offset by the even more irrational lack of concern being displayed by others.

6 Likes

There are many Candian & Australian doctors/scientists sharing covid data on Twitter that have recently started pointing out that most of their American peers have disappeared from Twitter and are asking about their absence.

3 Likes

Do you recall which American doctors/scientists in particular? I follow quite a few so curious which ones they’re referencing?

I can think of a few that have left for various reasons, but not what I would regard as “most” so curious if it’s a specific group that I don’t follow as closely?

ETA: Oh, and welcome to the forum! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

They didn’t name anyone but stated that they noticed their American peers were absent from their threads. I thought it was interesting. I’ve noticed changes in my thread too since the new ownership took over :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah, Twitter is kinda weird right now. I don’t know how much of it is actual changes that have been made at Twitter and how much is behavior changes by the users.

Make more :popcorn:and watch it play out, I guess…

5 Likes

Everyone has different risks they are willing to take, but for what it is worth, here is where mine currently are …

I would be ok taking the risk of flying in January (with an N95 at the airport and on the plane).

Cruises are off my list for now. Risk too high for my taste. DW is less concerned about Covid than me, but she has also said she would not go on a cruise in the near future.

This one falls in the middle of the other two for me. If it was a concert DW or I really wanted to go to, I would go and wear an N95. If neither of us cared much either way about going, then I would skip it.

4 Likes

It was an absolute 100% must do concert. :). I was thrilled to get tix. Hoping for the best. I too am very nervous about the cruise given that one of mine is booked on the Majestic Princess that just docked in Australia with 800 covid cases on board. But, that is the cruise I’ve already decided I’m less interested in taking. I booked 2 intending to choose 1. I have until early summer to choose and will probably wait until then to decide. I originally booked in Oct 2019 and then it kept getting pushed later and finally that one sailed without me last June when I had an emergency and couldn’t go. I’m aware of the higher covid risk and may well skip another year, sigh. I will definitely use the flight credit but I’m also having some issues with my health that make it difficult to sit for long periods. I’m thinking about taking a couple of short flights to see friends instead of one long flight to an exotic location, which it was originally supposed to be.

4 Likes

Mastodon the new alternative possibly.

1 Like

Thanks for the info on the Majestic Princess. I did some research and seems there’s been other ships with outbreaks recently and I don’t think we’ll be cruising for the foreseeable future.

We had 3 cruises booked pre COVID. We went on Quantum of the Seas out of NYC in Feb. 2020. There had been an outbreak on Quantum but it was specifically cleared by the CDC to sail, so we went, and I think we were lucky not to catch Covid.

We canceled our other 2 cruises and are unlikely to cruise again bc:

1. Difficult to avoid indoor crowding on board esp in dining/entertainment areas
  2. Risk of being moved and confined to an inside cabin on a quarantine deck
  3. Lack of transparency from and trust in cruise lines. They have little incentive to be forthcoming about cases/risks on board, and at sea they are the law.

#1 I might be able to manage risk with countermeasures, like eating outdoors or in cabin, N95’s, outdoor activities, avoiding crowds etc. I thought about going on a port intensive cruise on an Oasis class ship which has more outdoor spaces, and sticking to outdoors a lot and minimizing crowded indoor activities. That’s similar to what I do for WDW. But at WDW I have a lot more control over exposure to indoor crowds, and #2 and #3 aren’t an issue. Cruise lines have always operated in a regulatory grey area - their value prop is based on it - and I’m not comfortable cruising at this time.

4 Likes

Yes my husband is in academia and him and most of his peers have been moving to mastadon.

2 Likes

I have been thinking about this question. I may have spent way too much time thinking about this.

I have asthma, type 2 diabetes, and multiple heart issues. I have quoted my cardiologist before. It is quite simple. He tells me my “genetics suck”.

At one point I was scared of Covid. Now, I am afraid of not living. I do not mean that I am afraid that I will catch Covid and I will die. I mean I don’t want to spend any more time living in fear. I want to enjoy, to live, the life I have left.

I realized recently that I don’t want to spend my life working hard and saving my money so that my son can have the life I always dreamed of.

I am going to Disney and Universal multiple times in the next year. I am taking a cruise. I will plan more and more and do things that make me happy.

18 Likes

I understand this. It’s why I went to WDW for the liner meetup by myself. It was a challenge for me. I almost died a year prior to that (not Covid), and realized that I do want to branch out and do the things I really wanted to. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I’m glad I did it.

14 Likes

I have done everything I can. I have had five vaccine shots and I will have as many as I can.

8 Likes

I completely get all of this. If there is still widespread quarantining of covid positive cases I won’t go. I don’t want to be isolated in a quarantine cabin by myself for a week or longer.

1 Like

Latest updated chart.

1 Like