Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

For those asking about how the variant naming mechanisms are going, I’m sure this will clear it right up…:sweat_smile:

https://twitter.com/dfocosi/status/1574765212477030400?s=46&t=md0gFBFIbnMMEA6q3V6e7w

But apparently the point being demonstrated with the mutation notations is the variants have convergent evolution towards immune evasiveness. :flushed:

But, this is a brilliant naming scheme suggestion… :laughing:

3 Likes

I’m so sorry. That’s messed up. And a reminder to always have a supply of good masks. We just never stopped masking in public b/c DH has had a series of surgeries but one DS in middle school seems to be starting not to wear his so it’s only a matter of time…but I get it, I see very few other kids at the school pick up line wearing them either…

5 Likes

I really do feel much safer having had the bivalent booster. All of us except DD10 were able to get it. Does anyone have any special intel about when the ages 5 to 11 group in the US will be able to get that booster? I read “a few weeks” a few days ago. DS13 is in the middle of a bad cold and we tested him twice and he was negative, which is a big relief. I wonder if he’s been able to fight off the covid germs at school, b/c of the booster, and yet the cold germs got him twice already within the first month of school. Of course we’ll never know.

4 Likes

No inside info, but this report references mid-Oct for the boosters for as young as 5. It’s only as far as requesting FDA approval.

4 Likes

My local pharmacy just posted that FDA advisory meeting is Oct 19-20 so soon after that. I hope my kids make it that long without getting sick. They’ve had a cold already since school started.

5 Likes

Wow! I’m sorry you were in that situation @Beth33. Good for you for speaking up though.

4 Likes

I know some of you will find this interesting. A restaurant in Ontario posts the “live” CO2 level of the air in restaurant. Their twitter account is @ApricotTreeCaf1 if anyone if interested in seeing it. I randomly came across their twitter account.

7 Likes

Neato

3 Likes

Thanks for this. They report their CO2 level is consistently below 700ppm which is very good. Some of their pics are in the 500’s, which is low enough that I’d consider taking my N95 off as long as I was socially distanced.

3 Likes

I’m happy to report that DH and I got our annual flu shot and the Pfizer bivalent Covid booster 30 hours ago, and no side effects beyond the standard localized pain around the injection sites. Well, maybe I slept in a little bit (2 hours).

9 Likes

Immunosupressed Transplant Patient. Received 2nd Dose of Evusheld on 9/3 Traveled to DW on 9/17 -9/24.
Husband was boosted a week before we left, My son completed his second dose of moderna end of August.
I unfortunately tested positive upon our return home, but was negative during the trip. My worst symptom was a relentless fever. I’m the only one who has tested positive. We masked in all indoor areas, with the exception of restaurants. I probably should have masked during the fireworks. That along with Ogas were the two places that I definitely felt least comfortable.
I’m also participating in a research study through UPMC on the effectiveness of Evusheld. I’m hopeful that we will know more in the coming months about Evusheld and immunocompromised individuals.

13 Likes

I would like to get my Flu Shot …but need to fully kick the non-Covid bug I picked up at WDW first. Going on 2 and half weeks now. Hopefully another few days and it will finally be out of my system. Was a rough week back at work as it moved into my sinuses causing congestion & head pain :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Just to clarify, the CDC advisory committee (ACIP) is the one meeting on Oct 19-20. I just poked around and not seeing anything about the FDA advisory committee (VRBPAC) meeting on the topic. FWIW, VRBPAC did not meet for the adult bivalent. It went FDA->APIC->CDC (rather than the more typical VRBPAC->FDA->APIC->CDC).

Here is what I found previously on the ACIP meeting and not spotting any new updates on that yet.

3 Likes

There is no clear lead horse in the Next Notable Variant race. BA.4 and BA.5 have been losing market share to BA.4.6, BF.7, and BA.2.75. But the WHO apparently has around 200 variants they are currently monitoring so something else entirely could pop out of the variant alphabet soup. There is chatter about a number of others having pockets of activity around the world.

Cheat sheet I’m currently using (but I think it’s already getting out of date):

Last week:

3 Likes

Monkeypox update:

US:

Global:

Also global:

3 Likes

We’re approaching our 60 day mark for our trip. I’m not sure yet if we’ll be comfortable dining indoors or not, but I’d like to set up some ressies just in case. I’ve only been once before, so am still somewhat of a novice when it comes to Disney dining.

I’m trying to think which restaurants might be a bit safer than others. I’m thinking ones that are in more spacious buildings with high ceilings and maybe tables spread out a bit more. I’d love your ideas, if you have them!

So far, I’m thinking:
Olivia’s (outdoor)
Nomad Lounge (outdoor)
Topolino’s Terrace (this looks fairly spacious in pictures, and new bldg)
Sci-Fi ?

Maybe Chef Mickey’s-- but that looks loud and sensory overload for a ‘meh’ meal

1 Like

Sci-F I found squishy (food lousy too)

Space 220 is very open (at least in my experience in the lounge - all tables not filled)

I got Covid in January, and have went 3 times since - without getting Covid and we were at a number of restaurants - including Oga’s. So don’t let a fear of that stop you from enjoying the dining.

1 Like

Outdoor dining is likely much lower risk. We did all outdoor dining (and takeout to our resort room) during our May trip. We had a great outdoor meal at The Boathouse in Disney Springs.

Next trip our only planned indoor meal is Chef Mickey’s which we decided would still be high risk, but lower than other places due to the very high ceilings and spread out nature of the location. That said, I agree with your assessment of the negatives to Chef Mickey’s.

@DWJoe took some CO2 readings at some WDW restaurants, but I can’t find his post on that. Tagging him in case he is able to repost the information for you.

3 Likes

It was actually @brian_d_fink_763791 who posted their CO2 readings at some WDW restaurants :slight_smile: Link below

3 Likes

The FDA has announced that Evusheld doesn’t work against some of the currently circulating variants.

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-releases-important-information-about-risk-covid-19-due-certain-variants-not-neutralized-evusheld

3 Likes