Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Woot! My county has moved back down to “substantial” using the old CDC transmission metrics! :sweat_smile:

ETA: I think I’ll take the very small win and ignore the likely role that under testing plays in that.

5 Likes

Wow, I’m…impressed. This is actually one of the most even-handed, easy-to-read write-ups on the risks of reinfections that I’ve seen. There’s nothing surprising for those of us that dig into this stuff on the regular, but a really good article to share with friends/family that aren’t paying close attention and want a quick run down. (Assuming they won’t automatically dismiss it because it’s BuzzFeed.)

5 Likes

And…the CDC updated their guidance yesterday that they are no longer recommending masking in healthcare settings for areas with substantial community transmission of Covid (using their old metrics). :flushed:

This timeline continues to suck.

Substantial transmission and no recommendation to mask in nursing homes. I’m just…

3 Likes

:astonished:

4 Likes

Yeah, I couldn’t believe that when I went to my actual doctor’s (PCP) office, no one had a mask on. When I got my booster at the county health dept., everyone did. Patients and employees.

Booster update: I got Pfizer on Tuesday morning which is the same as my previous 3 vaccines. Tuesday evening, slight headache, sore arm. Wednesday morning, worse sore arm but otherwise okay, I was able to do my usual 3 mile walk. Wednesday evening, very sore arm, headache bad enough that I took Advil. Thursday, very mild sore arm when lifting it. Friday, good to go! I feel happy that I got it before our trip (which may not happen due to the hurricane!) but I would have gotten the booster anyway.

5 Likes

I got my Moderna bivalent booster Friday. Felt somewhat feverish and fatigued with sore arm today, but still able to be up and about, similar to the earlier Moderna boosters. I was mistaken before, the Moderna bivalent booster is a 50 mcg dose, like the earlier boosters, not 100mcg like the primary series. Those took me out for about a day.

3 Likes

Bingo card check:
The Space Force from on high
:no_mouth:

Song starts at 1:45

3 Likes

That’s pretty hilarious!

1 Like

Space Force is a joke in the military community already… the song isn’t helping.

got my biV shot yesterday and it took 8 hours before I started feeling anything at all… minor soreness at injection site. This morning I woke up w/ my arm being sorer and tender to move but so far there isn’t a knot at the injection site, as with ALL previous vaccinations.

ETA: I forgot I have a slight headache… I forgot b/c it’s so mild :laughing:

8 Likes

I kind of thought with a new administration, Space Force would just cease to be. Now I’m thinking this needs to be a campaign promise to earn my vote. :rofl:

3 Likes

:rofl::smirk::rofl:

1 Like

It really does seem rather ridiculous, but from a practical standpoint, I think the posturing is needed to set precedent of who has authority.

With the number of private ventures moving forward, who has jurisdiction over regulation and disputes is going to need to be established. While the current volume could easily fall under the Air Force’s existing structure, I think the optics of a high profile, specialized team is probably warranted. It is a lot easier to establish authority before space exploration goes completely Wild West then after.

I think they are struggling to find a way to establish themselves without relying on existing sci fi tropes, though. That’s where they need to get it together.

3 Likes

So we are 5 weeks into the school year.

And 3% of the school population is known to have had Covid. In 2021, the CDC estimate is only 1 in 4 infections were reported. With less emphasis and more home testing, I’m guessing now that is likely closer to 1 in 10.

So somewhere in the range of 12-30% of our school population has likely already had Covid this school year? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

How many waves will there be by the end of the school year?

5 Likes

Prior week data for comparison:

BA4.6, BF.7, and BA2.75 all showing a growth advantage over BA.4 and BA.5.

2 Likes

I spent last night in the ER (I’m doing much better now, they ran many tests and thankfully it turned out not to be serious) and I was very surprised when I heard the other guy that was sharing my room tell his nurse that he tested positive for Covid yesterday. Apparently, he told the folks at the front desk but they didn’t have any more rooms so in with me he went. We were maybe 10’ apart and separated by a thin curtain that was open mesh at the top. Admittedly, the ventilation in a hospital is better than the average building, but still. He (and most people in the ER, including personnel) was wearing a surgical mask. The hospital only offered surgical masks, but thankfully I was wearing an N95 that I brought from home and they didn’t make me take it off in favor of their mask. When I mentioned the situation to my nurse and asked that I be moved, noting that I didn’t mind being in the hallway, she looked horrified and said she’d take care of it. They ended up moving him into the hallway (I felt a bit bad about that).

Moral of the story - if you’re trying to avoid an infection, bring your own high quality mask with you to the hospital.

12 Likes

Wow, I can’t believe they did that!! And I hope you are ok.

5 Likes

:flushed::flushed::flushed:

And vulnerable people are supposed to be able to protect themselves in this mess? Not sure how anyone can sincerely believe that at this point.

I’m glad he was forthcoming and you picked up on it! Glad it wasn’t anything serious and hope you’re all good moving forward.

5 Likes

And monkeypox is still hanging around…

^ not enough testing is happening

Global:

4 Likes

And just to round out our global outbreak coverage… :confused:

2 Likes

:scream:

3 Likes