Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

If anyone is interested. Looks like it requires filling out a facebook form to get more info. Might be an option to get an “early in” on another booster through an approved channel. (If I had to guess, some subjects will get a first gen booster and some will get a second gen booster. I would think they aren’t doing placebo arms in trials at this points.)

It could be targeting me regionally, so might not be available in all areas.

2 Likes

Thank you, sent this info to DDs b/c they had Moderna

3 Likes

Yes let’s let the public rename a virus because THAT makes total sense. Here they let people name snowplows. That’s a better use of idiocy for my money.

5 Likes

Y’all know about this, right?

8 Likes

And the same people were asked if we should leave the EU :thinking:

5 Likes

Yes I did hear about that! Here’s our list.

Apologies for the derailment. Back to the virus discussion.

6 Likes

Maybe they’ll be more inclined to follow any guidelines if they get to name it?!? :thinking::joy:

I mean, nothing else they’ve tried seems very effective…

4 Likes

A take on the latest CDC update from someone at Yale’s School of Public Health:
https://twitter.com/gregggonsalves/status/1558452293296525314?s=21&t=luYR0FnfsWCg0xrB0vTpWg

3 Likes

The big public school system we’re in in Maryland (my kids were in it but have been private the last few years) just made masking 100% mandatory in school for next year, about a month after declaring that they were going to be optional. I’m very surprised b/c I thought schools requiring masks was a thing of the past. Anyone else’s school doing this? I am expecting both of the schools my kids attend to have it optional, but last year when it became optional a lot of students were still masking up to the end of the year.

5 Likes

I’m way behind on all my forums b/c DH had his foot surgery in early August (and is doing well as far as I can tell), so forgive me if this had been talked up already. I just don’t see people doing the new CDC testing that involves 3 tests 48 hrs apart. I’ve been very dedicated to planning for / testing for covid, and that seems like too much for even me. I just can’t imagine the average person deciding they need 3 tests and to remember to take them at those intervals. At the moment I only have 3 total tests in my house for my family of 5, although that is something I need to buy more of since school will start soon…

3 Likes

Liners run counter to that trend, thankfully :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s only 2 tests? It’s pretty close to the same as it was before, but with more definition around how to test to stop masking before Day 10. (I don’t think they specified before, so maybe people were assuming once was enough, but people like Michael Mina were always saying at least twice and 24hours apart, so they landed pretty close to that.)

Whether people will do it is an entirely different question.

Somewhat related, I caught up on Dr. Osterholm’s podcasts today. Turns out, he was actually in on part of the CDC’s discussion to reduce isolation to 5 days and masking through Day 10 back when that happened. In the discussions he was in, it was supposed to be just for healthcare workers as an emergency response to the staffing shortages during the first Omicron surge. The discussions he was in never suggested it becoming the broader recommendation, and it included N95s for Days 6-10. He reiterated the data from before about 50% testing positive past Day 5 and 25% past Day 9.

FWIW, his advice on Paxlovid was consistent with what I’ve heard from other sources. If you are eligible, take it. The data still isn’t robust, but some of it suggests rebound in about 5% of Paxlovid users. But rebound cases are still not ending up in the hospital, so it’s accomplishing its primary objective, preventing severe disease in those with risk factors. There have been documented cases of those with rebound infecting others, so rebound is definitely something to be alert for (he didn’t say this, but I wonder if that may be part of what is driving the CDC test-twice-to-stop-masking guidance).

3 Likes

They are getting more data on Long Covid: Some Light on Long Covid - by Eric Topol - Ground Truths (substack.com)

3 Likes

4 Likes

I don’t know what to make of any of that. Asymptomatic (but has a rash)? Not known how they contracted it? And not in daycare? Why were they tested?

But this is just not going well. :persevere:

Remember, we were initially told that monkeypox outbreaks were “self limiting” as the R0 was less than 1.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article263684558.html

This theory seems to be gaining some traction.

4 Likes

Yeah… is this just a case of spontaneous monkeypox? I think not. This is all such a mess.

3 Likes

Ugh. I feel for these folks. It sounds like they were back for about 2 weeks before closing the school. What a rough way to start the school year. I hope this is an isolated situation.

4 Likes

no masks?

Fully optional, though recommended on the bus.

1 Like

Thanks, just curious b/c I didn’t see it in the article, but I was skimming too. Masking is hit or miss around the nations school districts right now.

2 Likes