Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

All of this. My younger one’s class went mask optional yesterday. She said only one other kid was wearing a mask (maybe 2). She’s in second grade, surely she can tell the difference between one and two kids?! I digress. Vaccines are just being rolled out for 5-11 year olds this week, and we still have strict quarantine rules in effect for non-vaccinated kids. In fact the masks saved us from quarantine again (at least quarantine, who knows on infection) just a few weeks ago. Why…?!!

3 Likes

We did rapid antigen tests at a drug store but it wasn’t CVS. It took 20 minutes, but they made us wait there until it was done.

ETA it was in Canada, too. So maybe a useless reference.

2 Likes

It turned out to be 1.5 hrs, but that may not be a normal timeframe b/c their computers were down. When I went to get my results it didn’t work and they had to so some weird fax thing to get them to me. Still, so much quicker than a PCR test.

1 Like

One thing I just don’t get is that my kids’ school has a large # of preK students and none of them are yet eligible for the vaccine. I would think they’d keep the masks on until those kids can have that option. But, to be fair, I have no idea how much grief they’re getting daily re: masking. It’s probably considerable.

3 Likes

Fresh data from Denmark where there are lots of BA.2 cases…

So good-ish news.

4 Likes

It’s odd that it’s taken hold in Denmark for a while now but hasn’t really caused a big spike anywhere else, even though it can be found pretty much everywhere.

2 Likes

It might be a timing thing? BA.2 somehow managed to beat BA.1 to the punch before BA.1 was fully established in Denmark maybe? :woman_shrugging:

India looks like it may have skipped BA.1 almost completely and just went straight to BA.2.

1 Like

Wasn’t Denmark one of the early Omicron BA.1 countries though right after S. Africa? Or am I confusing it with somewhere else?

So. 1.8 million infections, 187 reinfections, and only 27 of those were B2 following B1?

I don’t know what that means on a more global scale, but it makes me feel better about being with the unmasked masses last week at Disney. I’ve been keeping my kids at a bit of an arms length and that (plus a negative covid test today) make me feel like I can drop that.

3 Likes

Denmark was fairly early, unless you’re thinking of Norway, which was even earlier.

In Denmark, BA.2 swooped in before BA.1 was fully established.

By the time BA.1 got to 69%, BA.2 was already at 25% and it took the rest of the market share from Delta then began to squeeze BA.1 out.

In contrast, BA.1 had 97% of the UK before BA.2 started getting a toehold.

South Africa got BA.2 well after BA.1, so there it’s dragging out the tail of the Omicron surge.

1 Like

Not exactly. There were 1,739 that were known to be reinfections within the 20-60 day window. I’m not sure how meticulous their record keeping is to know how complete that data set is. Just 263 were successfully sequenced. Results below.

ETA: Note the bottom left box had the same variant in both tests. I’m guessing many of these are lingering PCR positives, not actual re-infections, but I haven’t read the whole paper to see if that’s addressed.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying that for me! I see how I misinterpreted based on the abstract. I thought this was interesting

Half of those reinfections were O after Delta. That’s my box. :woman_facepalming:

Seems likely given the sample size that the other bottom box is those with continued positive results (although a reinfection not impossible with the same strain either).

Still be hopeful that we will not face round 3 of covid with the sub variant. :pray:t2:

2 Likes

New variant prevalence released yesterday. BA.2 inching up.

Prior week for comparison:

2 Likes

Update to Covid vaccination schedule (may reduce incidents of myocarditis)

3 Likes

Not to start a political discussion, but :white_check_mark: off “Potential opening shots of WWIII fired” on your bingo cards. :cry:

3 Likes

This never occurred to me as a thing to think about: there is a right way and a wrong way to store your covid at home tests:

1 Like

It’s just devastating. This type of upheaval just hasn’t happened in so long.

3 Likes

The headline is a bit dramatic. :roll_eyes:

This part of the article is probably the really only part that’s significant:
According to Dr. Singh, you should go ahead and toss your tests in the trash if they’ve spent longer than a day outside of the acceptable temperature range described above. [35 to 86 degrees] “For tests that have been kept in a non-optimal location but it has been less than one day, it is recommended to return the test to a climate-controlled area that is at room temperature,” he says. “But again, the results of these tests may not be as accurate compared to tests that have always remained at a suitable temperature.”

And only one day is probably pretty conservative.

This is the go-to guy on testing questions:

45C = 113F

Someone linked this study:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7962993/

It’s more significant for areas of the world where climate control isn’t a thing and daily temps are extreme.

3 Likes
5 Likes