Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Good article talking about some of the implications of changing the definition of “fully vaccinated”

“ She said the term “up-to-date” could replace “fully vaccinated,” particularly as more research comes out about long-term protection from the Covid vaccines. But a person receiving a complete primary series — two doses of an mRNA vaccine, or one Johnson & Johnson shot — should still be considered “fully vaccinated.” “

I suspect this is the direction they’ll head…requiring people to have “full and up-to-date vaccination”.

3 Likes

For those wondering about boosters for kids/adolescents…keep in mind it’s just a Twitter thread, but wouldn’t think much of a motive to fabricate…

3 Likes

I gotta be honest here, I’m getting the covid fatigue. I’ve been boosted, DD7 is on the verge of her second dose and DH is in the process of finding a booster appt. Our town is back to Mask mandates indoors, I get an email daily about new covid cases in our school (luckily no close contacts yet) and my work is seeing more and more patients with covid pneumonia (fully vaxxed- not sure about boosters though). Its been stressful here in the lab with 3 years of going on short staffed with another person leaving (but hey, she’s going to work for Pfizer…) and the patients have been very sick and complicated from a laboratory perspective. I’m sitting here wondering if we’re honestly talking about another booster in the future and pondering if I’m just done with all of this.
Covid Fatigue is real man… I’m totally a pro- science, pro-vaccine pro- help your fellow man type but I am starting to see the upside to just pretending this is a hoax :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

Does it wear us all down until we stop fighting it? What happens then?

I just Googled the death number and 5 million are being reported? So does it go to 10, 15, 20…?

I am over 60 so most likely even if that happens, I might not see it but most of you are much, much younger - so I am wondering about what this option will look like.

Sorry- like many- it seems dark these days.

6 Likes

YLE retweeted this last night…

Yeah, I bottomed out a couple weeks ago. On some level, I think I’ve now accepted living in dystopia.

:thinking: How bad does it need to get before we buckle down and get serious about a united response? What does the Pearl Harbor equivalent look like?

6 Likes

TB perhaps?

1 Like

Ahh … the good old days … where we’d merely hope we didn’t catch a cold in that situation. Now I hear a cough and jump 6 feet …

Wait … things aren’t really bad now???

2 Likes

Not if we’re following the UK path (which we roughly have been all along). Their “post initial Delta surge” bounce (approx Aug 2) occurred 12 weeks before ours did (approx Oct 24). And they’re still going up. They are ahead of us on total and adult vaccination %s. We are ahead of them on kid vaccination % and probably a bit on prior infection.

Those dips in the current UK surge apparently coincide to their school breaks, when less testing is done. And less school-related transmission.

US population is 5x the UK. So our equivalent to where they are now would be 250k cases/day? They’re doing a lot more testing though, so our confirmed cases may not catch up to that?

And this is before Omicron takes hold in either one. Wild card there still.

The good news(?) is that our bounce occurred later than I expected, actually. If we’d tracked the same as the UK, my “napkin” suggested we’d bounce when we got down to 89k cases, but we made it down to 64k cases before we bounced. Maybe because of those states/local jurisdictions that kept NPIs in place, in contrast to the UK declaring “Freedom Day” and dropping pretty much everything everywhere from what I understand?

Texas and Florida are still in the post-Delta trough, but may be starting to creep up again.

This is all just :persevere::persevere::persevere:

2 Likes

I completely understand @Jsanta2’s exhaustion on this. I shared a couple of weeks ago that indoor mask mandates were lifted inside in my city a couple of weeks ago, right when cases started to go back up. Every day hospitalizations are increasing, every day we are having “the most cases since January”, “the most cases in 2021”. The national guard is being called into hospitals in neighboring states, and every where you go businesses are understaffed. Schools continue to discuss lifting mask mandates.

8 Likes

In our county, I’ve pretty much given up. DH and I are boostered, DS13’s are vaccinated and DS9 got his second on Monday. Most people in this area do not mask. I do still see some, but it is definitely a minority. The school district announced they aren’t listening to the state mandate that is being fought in the courts and masking is voluntary, except on the bus since it is a federal mandate. I wore a mask last night at the MS band concert because I am finishing a cold with a bit of a runny nose, but I’d say 80-90% of the room did not mask. Numbers are high here, but a lot of people are over it.

We drove down to WDW and back last week from PA and I would say most people are not masking. WDW is trying masks indoors, but let’s face it, it’s packed down there.

The numbers in the US are not really surprising to me at this point. And after almost 2 years of this, I can understand covid fatigue.

3 Likes

Yes although Freedom Day was delayed by a month, we did get rid of all restrictions. Well more or less.

DH and I are currently waiting after our boosters - Pfizer, original ones were AZ. DS17 got his second last week so we are in good shape.

3 Likes

This is a copy paste from a message I just got from my school teacher friend after an emergency assembly…

"Schools just been told that a single case of omicron means the whole class and teacher will be sent home and their whole family needs to isolate for 10 days "

NHS advice has changed.

At the moment I’m not clear if this is just Scotland or whole UK.

Pretty huge though!! If wee Jimmie in your kids class gets omicron then your whole household is snookered!! :exploding_head:

5 Likes

My understanding — which may be wholly wrong because it’s so damned complicated and they change the rules all the time — is that this would not be UK-wide because none of it is. I thought Johnson said yesterday that, in England, you don’t self-isolate any more for things like this, you just test every day.

4 Likes

That’s been us for the past 2 years! Except it’s 14 days and the exposed kids need to test out. I believe they very recently changed the definition of close contact in schools but I don’t think there’s been a case since the change to try it out. I’m sure I’ll find out the fun way soon.

2 Likes

Really? The whole family?
That must be so disruptive!!
Has it worked? Are cases in your area low?

I’m really happy to see this study used hybrid immunity.

2 Likes

Whelp, it happened DD Friend at school is positive, DD is not technically a close contact though we are keeping her home 5 days + negative PCR. DS school said he does not need to quarantine unless DD is symptomatic or has a positive test. Fortunately DD is double vaccinated Pfizer and symptom free.

5 Likes

The whole family. Unless the exposed person can isolate completely. As if anyone can do that with a grade-school child and if they do someone should call child services.

I’m three-standard deviations more cautious than the average person and even I think it’s excessive. But it was illegal to import lateral flow tests until this fall. So random policies all around.

ETA I do think it probably stopped the spread in schools from being out of control in September. There are a lot of multi-generational family homes here and I’d hate to have seen the alternative.

Very. For the moment. 7 day rolling average of ~3/100k. But in September we (Bermuda) were “winning” at covid in both cases and deaths per capita internationally. It was a short, sharp peak.

Now I’m just desperately waiting for the MHRA to license vaccines for 5-11 year olds!!

4 Likes

I think if this gets rolled out here soon enough it will save lives over Christmas.

4 Likes