Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

I saw a second study the other day that was done with the Moderna booster dose. It still offered higher protection than the Pfizer for those who originally got the Pfizer vaccine. Interestingly though, for those that originally got Moderna, a Pfizer booster provided slightly better protection, but I think the difference was pretty minor.

3 Likes

I had Pfizer as my original, but went with Moderna for my booster, not because I really cared which booster I got, but because none of the pharmacies near me were carrying Pfizer. I agree with the premise that you should get the vaccine that is most readily available to you, although I think the mRNA vaccines in general offer better protection.

As far as whether we will need this every 6 months, while Iā€™m prepared for that possibility and will embrace it if thatā€™s what it comes to, Iā€™m hopeful that this third dose is just the right series that we need to combat covid. Saw an interesting article about how the antibodies from the booster dose are not just greater than the two dose series, but different, and they are seeing a different T cell response as well. So hereā€™s hoping. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Iā€™m going Pfizer3 because I know I didnā€™t have any ill effects with the first two shots. Every one I know that had it a little rough had Moderna. Unscientific, I know, but hey.

2 Likes

My DH had it rough with all three vaccines with Pfizer. My best friend had Moderna and she had some really bad side effects. But Iā€™ve heard Moderna is typically worse as well.

1 Like

FWIW with all three doses (2 Pfizer, 1 Moderna booster) I just felt a little tired and had some brain fog. No difference in side effects for me.

But the reality is I think you canā€™t go wrong.

2 Likes

A couple different approaches to having a safer Thanksgiving.

There are a number of different experts out there with their own flavors of plans.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know what the demographics of this 95% are, but itā€™s encouraging that 90% of federal workers are vaccinated and another 5% have documented their exemptions in response to the mandate.

10 Likes

I read an article earlier that Disney also has 90% compliance with their salaried and non-union employees, but that they are pulling back on the mandate. Probably in response to recent litigation in FL to fine companies with mandates in place.

5 Likes

FWIW, the CDC vaccination numbers are obviously wrong.

I havenā€™t heard any official explanation yet, but there are enough high-profile people on Twitter commenting on it that the CDC has to be aware.

The speculation is that a lot of boosters are being incorrectly reported as first shots, but with no one official weighing in, no one is certain for sure and what all portions of the data may be impacted. It could be people simply misclassifying themselves when booking their booster which could take some time to sort out. Or any step along the way.

1 Like

Just a quick search as karate class is almost over.

Saw this at a PA site. Apparently 99% is state specific. WV not caught up yet.

Yeah, that same site circled back on it yesterday. They are one of the ones saying the data isnā€™t correct.

3 Likes

I live in PA and I can tell you those numbers are not accurate. There is no way we are going to reach 99% vaccination in any age group in this state. My county is only just over 50% fully vaccinated for all residents and barely changes each week it is updated. It may change a little in a few weeks with kids getting vaccinated, but it wonā€™t be much.

2 Likes

Lots of prominent voices feeling like the CDC should be recommending boosters for everyone, not just allowing them (CDC currently has ā€œshouldā€ wording for the more vulnerable groups but ā€œmayā€ wording for everyone else over 18.)

What the need for ongoing boosters will be is really unclear. Some leaning one way or the other, some just sitting squarely at ā€œwe need to see what happensā€.

4 Likes

sighā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™ve seen this little image several times over the last few months. I hope that we see real evidence of this.

5 Likes

The image is correct and supported by the data - and itā€™s one of the reasons why some think a third shot might be it. (Another reason is that many vaccines require doses spaced further apart, or are 3 or 4 dose series).

The question is what will happen long term to that curve post-booster, which no one knows yet.

7 Likes

Getting my booster today! :partying_face:

15 Likes

I got my booster yesterday. Iā€™m hoping the side effects arenā€™t too bad.

6 Likes

Got mine Tuesday. Felt a little punky yesterday - not sick, exactly, more like how you feel the day before you GET sick, wondering if you are coming down with something, a little achy, a little tired. Feel fine this morning.

5 Likes

Oh dear. DD19 got her booster yesterday when I got mine. Iā€™m not feeling great (mild headache and a little weak/light headed), but she is not feeling well at all. Now I feel guilty that Iā€™ve potentially ruined thanksgiving for her. Hoping some ibuprofen will help her perk up.

7 Likes