Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

I am so sorry!

4 Likes

I am so sorry. I just canā€™t bear the thought of this happening to one of my children. Itā€™s hard to imagine someone not much older than me being impacted by the virus so severely, and yet it is much more common that we like to admit.

5 Likes

Along the same lines, someone from church sent out this prayer request yesterday.

And then a couple of hours later, added thisā€¦ :persevere:

I wonder how many of us know people we assume have been vaccinated and they havenā€™t? Maybe we can all use these booster recommendations to re-open the discussion? ā€œAre you thinking about getting a booster? Oh, you havenā€™t been vaccinated at all? Iā€™d be curious to know why you havenā€™t?ā€

Several experts have recommended taking a ā€œwhat info would you need to make the decision?ā€ approach. If they are hesitant (rather than truly resistant), you might be able to point them to resources. If they have actual safety concerns, if they have a personal doctor, encourage them to call them to discuss. Then maybe follow up to make sure they did.

I just caught up on Osterholmā€™s podcast from this week. He pointed out that a recent study estimates 140,000 kids in the US have lost a parent or caregiver (such as a custodial grandparent) to Covid. The study is through June, so thatā€™s almost all pre-Delta.

Even if people arenā€™t concerned about their own risk, itā€™s a real struggle for me to understand why they would risk putting their kids in that position. (And considering the number of kids being infected and bringing it into their households, I canā€™t imagine how hard those kids will struggle with that dynamic.)

8 Likes

It really is. The similarities between her and her son are almost identical to me and my mom. I know how my mom would be if I were me and itā€™s just unfathomable. My mom and her are the same age, had basically the same life growing up, even both have adopted children (her daughter even went to the same college as me) so the parallels are striking.

4 Likes

Speaking of boosters, hereā€™s the link to todayā€™s FDA advisory meeting live blog. Iā€™ll try to post a summary when I get a chance (tomorrow maybe?), but spoiler: everyone that got J&J at least 2 months ago needs a booster.

2 Likes

Related question - when do they count the 6 months for needing a Pfizer booster? Is it since the date of the second shot?

Yes-2nd shot.

2 Likes

I was just realizing that itā€™ll be 6 months for me on Sunday! I donā€™t consider myself to fall into the eligibility categories, but Iā€™ll keep an eye out if that guidance changes.

COVID-19 Vaccine booster shots are available for the following Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine recipients who completed their initial series at least 6 months ago and are:

2 Likes

:pray:

1 Like

In June three of us got my mom to a supermarket and got her J&J. Was there any references to the frail elderly? I suspect we should be on the hunt again?

1 Like

I havenā€™t read the last half of the dayā€™s notes yet, but no action to take at this time, IMO. I want to see what CDC APIC says as well. Nothing official can happen until after that anyway.

1 Like

It was so hard for shot number two and we are so afraid to do the wrong thing either way.

2 Likes

I am so sorry. :frowning: (But there is always hope. My oldest friend spent 99 days in ICU last summer; she spent 11 weeks on the ventilator, and her family was told she was going to die within 24 hours three times. She did die, once, for about 5 minutes. She will very likely be on oxygen the rest of her life (she was 58 and healthy when she got sick) but she is here and we are very happy about that. Here is her story if anybody is interested: Kyllo: Registered nurse. Coronavirus survivor. Death defier.

6 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement! Iā€™m glad sheā€™s better now.

I think also some people talked up getting vaccinated but a lot of adults are wusses when it comes to shots.

I remember reading about vaccines when my oldest was born and something stuck with me: adults do not get their boosters on time as a general rule. Itā€™s easy to vaccinate kids because parents will take kids to the doctor and follow doctor recommendations for their kids much more than themselves. Kids go to schools and are big spreaders of disease. That is why vaccinating kids is so important on a population level.

Also. Still sick here. Low grade fever. Will probably go for a follow up PCR tomorrow.

7 Likes

I mean this in addition to those who have pitted themselves against vaccination for any reason. Those people are definitely also out there.

2 Likes

Hmmmā€¦they think they may have found the issue with the inconsistent test results in the UK to be a single lab that might have given 43,000 false negatives? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Rut roh!

1 Like

Well, now the question is, are any other discrepancies outside this particular lab just random unfortunate dice rolls orā€¦??? Assuming this allegation holds up when they finish investigating?

Good question!