Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

I cannot even click on the link. (I am sure the link works, I just can’t handle reading that today)

6 Likes

Looks like I should be able to get DS9’s first jab before our WDW trip. I just have to time it so he can get his second one when we get back.

8 Likes

I don’t know a lot about this source, but so far their reporting seems pretty factual and informed. One of their writers (@HelenBranswell) is the one that has been tweeting play-by-plays of recent FDA and CDC advisory meetings. FDA meets this Thu/Fri to talk about Moderna, J&J, and mix-and-match boosters.

I’ve seen this report on other sources as well.

1 Like

So the kid’s robotics team is gearing up for a one day competition near Kansas City that we’ve enjoyed attending pre-covid.

Always requiring an overnight stay and, new this year, asking available parents to help drive students. It’s about a 3 hour drive. The team used to borrow the University’s vans but they were sold during covid.

One of the adult mentors, a guy with a doctorate in biology, wants the students to only room 2 to a room this year, because of covid.

He is also asking parents that can drive to bring other students with their own. Fill up the car.

I’m certain this is an oxymoron.

8 Likes

We have an appointment in 3 hours for DS17 to get a 24 hour PCR test. We are very COVID cautious because DD8 can’t get vaccinated yet. DS only hangs out with about 5 other kids outside of school hours, all of them are vaccinated, all the families take reasonable precautions.

They got together at a friend’s house on Saturday instead of going to the Homecoming dance, one of the kids who also happened to give my son a ride home starting feeling sick Tuesday and tested positive Wednesday. The rapid home test came back negative for DS, so I’m hoping he’s really negative. This is killing me because we’ve been so cautious and we are SO CLOSE to getting DD8 vaccinated.

7 Likes

Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

For your bingo cards…

11 Likes

As I previously mentioned, next it was their choir teacher.

Then got my first close contact phone call on Tuesday, for DS11.2. I pressed her a bit and she said it was someone at his lunch table. Not sure if she was supposed to tell me that, but I was glad she did so we knew it was unmasked exposure.

They are sitting 4 to a table (assigned seats) at those big round tables with 8 attached seats, every other seat, so about 3’ apart. Obviously, “D” is the positive case since he was absent on Tuesday. (Staff in-service on Monday, so the exposure was on Friday.)

Here is our district policy on close contacts:

She did not inquire whether DS11.2 was vaccinated. The guidance she gave me was that we should monitor him for symptoms, requested that we mask (it is “highly recommended” for our district but not required, even in this case), and said he could be tested if he developed symptoms at school.

Despite what the policy says, she never even suggested that quarantining was an option, let alone that it is recommended for those unvaccinated. :roll_eyes:

I immediately gave DS11.2 an at-home test (negative). Since the other 2 lunch table buddies are both from our soccer team, I texted their parents to compare notes. Quarantining was not recommended to them either. They both went out and got at-home tests, also negative. (Day 4 post exposure.)

All 3 of our kids mask at school (most of their class does), so at least there’s that. Our families are basically doing our own DIY test-and-stay program at this point (and a huge thank you to @PrincipalTinker for directing me to some Massachussetts guidance on that) so at least we can feel like we’re being reasonably responsible in how we are handling.

I took DS11.2 for a PCR at CVS after school yesterday that should come back today or tomorrow, and then I plan to give him another at-home test tomorrow. I think the other 2 families plan to test again as well. Because they are all still sitting together at lunch. So if any one of them is infected, the other 2 are re-exposed. :roll_eyes:

Our district continues to have 10-15 new cases per day. 11 cases at the DS11s middle school starting last Friday.

4 Likes

Oh, and here it is now…negative!

12 Likes

I just love you have a small test and stay cohort protocol going!

4 Likes

They are “live blogging” the FDA advisory committee meeting today on Moderna boosters here:

(I’ve only read part of it yet.)

1 Like

I received an alert that they approved this first step.

4 Likes

Did we ever come up with what the likelihood might be of a positive at home covid test (QuickVue) followed by a negative PCR test with symptoms?

Saw some family this last weekend and several family members have since tested positive for covid. I started coughing yesterday (before everyone started getting positive covid results) and tested positive on a home test. This morning my family went for a PCR and all came back negative.

Not sure what to think since my cough sounds awful, but otherwise I’m feeling pretty normal. Kids are celebrating, but some of our activity covid protocols tell them to stay home if anyone at your house is sick. Which clearly, I am.

1 Like

Did you self swb for the pcr test? Possibly didn’t obtain a sample deep enough? I think at home tests are more sensitive so that could be the case. It may be worth a retest and I’d keep everyone masked and home for a couple days to be sure.

The PCR test was NOT self administered and was definitely not shallow.

Definitely lying low at home this weekend and cancelling a lot of our plans (boys reinstated on hold camping plans though since they won’t be hanging out with anyone outside of our family, I think it’s ok). PSAT for my 9th grader is still happening. She has no symptoms and a negative PCR, will mask, and clearly they are spaced for the test. But all the other things are now cancelled.

1 Like

Hmm. Maybe the home test was a false positive then. Hopefully so and you just have normal ole run of the mill crud.

Have had this happen last week with my granddaughter. She was part of routine weekly testing at school and tested positive with a rapid test. The whole family got retested with pcr tests that day- the results came back negative for all! But the county didn’t release the quarantine for my granddaughter and her brother. The next morning, my granddaughter had some symptoms- slight cough and stuffy nose. My daughter did a rapid test at home and that was positive! We are going with the assumption that she is positive even though had extremely mild symptoms( thankfully)- no fever or loss of smell and no one in the family got sick. So that would mean that the 2 positive rapid tests are correct and the negative pcr was false?

1 Like

But I feel like this is opposite. I don’t know what to think. Keeping myself isolated from kids at any rate.

Also? Could a home covid tests pick up other coronaviruses in a case of mistaken identity?

But I’ve also heard more than one family member tests negative repeatedly while the rest of the family is positive to only find out later that they have antibodies for the virus - so probably did actually catch it along the way.

In general it is two negatives or two positives that confirm in my experience