Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

@amvanhoose_701479 Just saw this article specifically addressing J&J and booster shots. My coworker (who got J&J) and I were just talking about this, so I gave it a google.

4 Likes

New plan.

Iā€™m selling the car. The day before I get my PCR test.

Didnā€™t see that coming, did you.

8 Likes

Iā€™m laughing so hard :rofl::rofl::rofl:

WTH??? :woman_facepalming:t4:

4 Likes

I like to keep you people on your toes.

Iā€™ve been thinking of selling it for a while. Iā€™ve used it four times since I bought it in June 2020. I bought it to do holidays during COVID times. Now that Iā€™m headed back to WDW, those times are over. Next stop October 2021, then August 2022.

My October trip is eye-wateringly expensive. My bank balance will look prettier with car money in it.

6 Likes

Yeah, I read those comments from the ACIP meeting and had seen several places in San Francisco are giving out mRNA boosters to any J&J recipients. Iā€™ve definitely been thinking about it (since mid-July, really).

DH, DD20, her BF, and I all got J&J.

They all had Covid in January, though, so that might be roughly the equivalent of an additional dose (mild cases though, so likely not quite that much protection). So I feel pretty ok with them waiting on the official guidance a bit longer.

Iā€™ve been on the fence about myself since I didnā€™t have Covid. If I had more risk factors (age 51, overweight but not obese), Iā€™d likely have gotten one already.

I would definitely be a prime candidate for a ā€œwe have an extra dose weā€™re just going to discardā€ program.

Iā€™m actually glad I didnā€™t already get an additional dose yet though since J&J recently released data that waiting 6 months for a booster has huge benefits over getting one at 2 months. (I got my J&J 3/11 so am not much past the 6 month mark.).

They are also currently doing mix-and-match vaccine studies, so if that data comes out soon, it might be optimal to see that to know which vaccine to get as a booster. I think Iā€™m setting a personal deadline along the lines of ā€œget a booster at 8 months using the best available infoā€ if official guidance isnā€™t out yet.

Itā€™s hard to know what to do though. Our family is being cautious where we can (except for the obvious optional-masking school gap). If community transmission goes down far enough here to relax that, I might go ahead and get a booster at that point.

4 Likes

Could you do all the paperwork to sell it but not drop it off until after your Covid test outing? :thinking:

2 Likes

But why sell it then?!

1 Like

The article seemed to really be pushing mRNA boosters for J&J recipients. Interesting.

My coworker had a mild case of COVID around Thanksgiving last year. Her husband did not get it, but recently had a breakthrough infection contracted at work. So now theyā€™ve both had a mild case in addition to their J&J shot, but she is still very concerned.

2 Likes

Well, because I donā€™t really use it and owning it costs money in tax and insurance and maintenance. And itā€™s value is dropping.

Really?? My car has went up in value recently thanks to Covid and the microchip shortage.

That said, you should get a decent price for it, so itā€™s a good time to sell if youā€™re planning to anyway.
Maybe not the day before you need it though :woman_facepalming:t4::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s almost like he likes creating angstā€¦oh, waitā€¦ :thinking:

4 Likes

Fair enough, Iā€™m sure that day will make all the difference :joy: @Shmebulock is right, the value of used cars is going up but who knows how long it will last.

1 Like

DH and I just got our Pfizer booster shot and the flu shot. Weā€™re 65. Trying to get the Covid vaccine now is soooo much easier than last winter, when Arizona (weā€™re snowbirds) opened up shots for our age Feb 1 (could start booking appointment Jan 19). Last winter weā€™d practice, then pounce at the opening time (like ROTR BG). But now, we could get them at our doctorā€™s clinic with just a phone call - or even walk-up. It was so nice to not have to go to a big third-party pharmacy (and hassle with paperwork or medical records not connecting). We didnā€™t have any side effects with the previous shots, and donā€™t expect any this time.

6 Likes

7 Likes

Caught up on yesterdayā€™s WH briefing.

DR. FAUCI: Yes. The mix-and-match studies that Iā€™ve mentioned on several of these interviews are ongoing. The mix-and-match study in which you look at Moderna as the boost against the other three, those data are now available.

The J&J as the boost for the other three likely will be available literally within a week ā€” a few days to a week. And the data on looking at Pfizer as the boost to the other three will be available somewhere in the first week, or at the most two, of October. Thatā€™s when the data will be available.

Of course, as with all things we do, they must be submitted to the FDA for their regulatory approval. So you donā€™t want to get ahead of the FDA, but at least thatā€™s where the data are right now. Thank you.

I looked back at the ages 12-15 timeline. I think that data was available 3/31/21 and approval was 5/10/21, so roughly 6 weeks. That sounds like roughly what it will take for 5-11 as well, so maybe weā€™re 6-8 weeks from all mix-and-match approval?

It would be great to see data on at least J&J with itself and one of the mRNAs to make a decision.

3 Likes

Actually, it will. If I donā€™t sell it on Friday, I donā€™t sell it until November.

There seems to be some myth ā€” that absolutely everyone seems to be expert in ā€” that the used car market is red hot.

Well, not for my car itā€™s not. Iā€™ve been thinking about selling it for a while and the price has gone down during the period in which Iā€™ve been tracking it.

Half the people I know think Iā€™m going to make a profit on the sale. I will not. Not even close.

5 Likes

I have a friend that had J&J and an autoimmune disease. Her doctor told her she needed a booster and to come in. When it was time for her appointment her doctor told her that they were told the day before that they could not give any booster. Her doctor advised her to go to CVS and get a ā€œfirst shotā€. She got Moderna.

4 Likes

I guess thereā€™s no petrol in your car :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

Ok, this is interesting. There was an earlier study in NEJM about 39 breakthrough infections in Israeli healthcare workers from Dec-Apr (alpha predominant). They followed up with data from Jun-Aug (delta predominant) on 127 additional breakthrough cases.

A couple highlights:

Yes, asymptomatic breakthrough infections are a thing (someone on another thread here in the forum was questioning that).

Of the 127, 61 had identified their suspected source on infection, and 37 of the sources were also vaccinated.

84 of them had had rapid tests and only 44 of them had tested positive. (If they arenā€™t rechecking rapid test sensitivity against delta, seems like they need to be. I wonder if there is a high tendency in vaccinated individuals to have just enough to trigger one test but not the other?)

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2113497

4 Likes

I was talking to another parent of DS9ā€™s soccer team. Iā€™ve known hersince DS was in preschool, as her son was in his class. Her family had gotten Covid several weeks ago (I was wondering why they were missing for a few weeks). She and her DH are vaccinated. Her DS8 and DS12 are not. She had to get a medical procedure and tested positive for Covid. She had no symptoms. Her DH then tested positive, no symptoms at first and then he had some cold like symptoms. And the the 8 year old tested positive with no major symptoms. The 12 year old tested negative twice with no symptoms. At her husbandā€™s work, a bunch of people tested positive and there were vaccinated individuals in this group. Not sure if they had symptoms, but there was no one hospitalizedā€¦ Anyway, the whole family would never had known without that test for the medical procedure and spent weeks quarantining. She also said they were going to get their 12 year old vaccinated so they didnā€™t have to worry about him so much. But what a mess and I really do question all this testing after kids are able to get vaccinated. Is it really necessary at that point? Are we going to continue to test asymptomatic people?

3 Likes