Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

This is a great map! :smile:

(I see that @eightyeightkeys is very close to me. I’m in Southern Illinois, just across the river from St. Louis)

3 Likes

Oh you included the Brits! Love it!

7 Likes

You’re actually in the ocean north of Bermuda.

8 Likes

I used to live in Belleville! Small world. I escaped to Missouri recently, however. :wink:

2 Likes

Wow! I’m almost in Belleville. Probably a good idea to escpe Illinois and all of our taxes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

That’s exactly right! :rofl:

4 Likes

You are hilarious! Mine is pretty easy, but you did just about nail my actual location in NC. :clap:

4 Likes

Love it! And you got my location pretty much spot on.

5 Likes

Mine too!

5 Likes

Ha! Love it. NJ is small, so I appreciate the work trying to get us in there!

4 Likes

Yeah…the northeast is a bit crowded!

4 Likes

Hey to disrupt the GREAT map party :partying_face: w/ news :smirk:

Student quarantines top 6,000 in Central Florida as Orange board plans mask discussion

More than 6,000 Central Florida students have been quarantined as COVID-19 cases disrupt the start of the 2021-22 school year.
Read the Latest

2 Likes

Sounds like the U.K. before schools broke up.

2 Likes

I keep wondering what the start of school would have looked like w/ masks… I mean the covid cases, quarantines etc.

3 Likes

Yes, absolutely it would change for me. Based on what we learned from last school year.

Last year we were very nervous and felt our district wasn’t doing enough for those choosing to come back in person but they at least had an option for their specific program (a Dual Language Immersion program) online. It was run by the teacher who was teaching the in-person class at their school and because it wasn’t a dedicated teacher to the online kids, it was up to the teacher to put in a LOT of extra work and so the online students weren’t always given the attention they should’ve had. So even though it was a sub-par learning experience, we felt that it was too risky to be in person so did 3 terms of it online. Then, once the schools demonstrated that their precautions were enough and cases were on the decline, we sent them back in person for 4th term and it was SO good for them.

This year, masks are optional and cannot legally be required or wearing enforced by the school or school districts. What makes that even more worrisome is that the quarantine guidelines (unless there is a positive test result reported to the health department) are all recommendations. It’s up to the parents to make the choice whether their kids quarantine or test after an exposure…
So the “mom code” that started last year here in Utah where moms agreed not to not test their exposed or symptomatic kids in order to keep schools open can run rampant and unchecked and no one can make them stop taking their kid to school, or even as the guidelines suggest wear a mask if they choose to attend schools instead of quarantine. I do think the schools can send symptomatic kids home, but they aren’t doing health checks or regular screening of that of any kind so it would be up to the teacher/school nurse to address it. Once there are a certain number or % of cases (at my kids’ school that number is 30 cases or ~4%) they do implement test to stay, but testing is all optional (I do believe in that case you need a negative test to return to in-person so that’s something). And lastly, our district have taken the stance that they won’t contribute to further divisions by making opt-in masked classrooms or even cohorts within classrooms (and a lot of surrounding districts are also sticking to this, not wanting to segregate groups of kids like that).

So (in my view) it’s all loony toons here. After we did so much good last year to demonstrate how schools can be open for the emotional, social needs of our kids and their best educational experience possible, AND not spread this one specific (and others that spread like it) disease that would burden our already stretched healthcare infrastructure, we are instead choosing chaos.

Oh, and in many districts there are no district offered online options (so you’d have to homeschool your kids which isn’t an option for many working parents) and in our district the online option offered pulls them out of their specific program. So no good choices.

ETA: @PrincipalTinker I know you are doing SO much for your kids and I admire your level of dedication to your community, your families & your schools. So none of my angst is directed at you. We need thousands more like you for all our school districts.

4 Likes

This is great!

1 Like

Mine could go south more in PA, but that’s a great job!

2 Likes

I grew up in Belleville and now live across the river!

2 Likes

I can’t heart this.

1 Like

I have no idea what to make of this… :thinking:

“Rice began investigating and determined one of the testing companies had changed their protocols that determine test results without alerting Rice. The university asked the company to revert to their previous testing protocols, which they have done. The university retested 50 people who previously tested positive twice with two different tests and all but one came back negative.”

5 Likes