Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

There is no clear lead horse in the Next Notable Variant race. BA.4 and BA.5 have been losing market share to BA.4.6, BF.7, and BA.2.75. But the WHO apparently has around 200 variants they are currently monitoring so something else entirely could pop out of the variant alphabet soup. There is chatter about a number of others having pockets of activity around the world.

Cheat sheet I’m currently using (but I think it’s already getting out of date):

Last week:

3 Likes

Monkeypox update:

US:

Global:

Also global:

3 Likes

We’re approaching our 60 day mark for our trip. I’m not sure yet if we’ll be comfortable dining indoors or not, but I’d like to set up some ressies just in case. I’ve only been once before, so am still somewhat of a novice when it comes to Disney dining.

I’m trying to think which restaurants might be a bit safer than others. I’m thinking ones that are in more spacious buildings with high ceilings and maybe tables spread out a bit more. I’d love your ideas, if you have them!

So far, I’m thinking:
Olivia’s (outdoor)
Nomad Lounge (outdoor)
Topolino’s Terrace (this looks fairly spacious in pictures, and new bldg)
Sci-Fi ?

Maybe Chef Mickey’s-- but that looks loud and sensory overload for a ‘meh’ meal

1 Like

Sci-F I found squishy (food lousy too)

Space 220 is very open (at least in my experience in the lounge - all tables not filled)

I got Covid in January, and have went 3 times since - without getting Covid and we were at a number of restaurants - including Oga’s. So don’t let a fear of that stop you from enjoying the dining.

1 Like

Outdoor dining is likely much lower risk. We did all outdoor dining (and takeout to our resort room) during our May trip. We had a great outdoor meal at The Boathouse in Disney Springs.

Next trip our only planned indoor meal is Chef Mickey’s which we decided would still be high risk, but lower than other places due to the very high ceilings and spread out nature of the location. That said, I agree with your assessment of the negatives to Chef Mickey’s.

@DWJoe took some CO2 readings at some WDW restaurants, but I can’t find his post on that. Tagging him in case he is able to repost the information for you.

3 Likes

It was actually @brian_d_fink_763791 who posted their CO2 readings at some WDW restaurants :slight_smile: Link below

3 Likes

The FDA has announced that Evusheld doesn’t work against some of the currently circulating variants.

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-releases-important-information-about-risk-covid-19-due-certain-variants-not-neutralized-evusheld

3 Likes

Lots of chatter on Twitter involving reputable sources about subvariants not responding to some or all of our monoclonal antibody therapeutics.

4 Likes

I hadn’t considered this one, thanks!

1 Like

It’s very likely Topolono’s (if I can snag a res) will be our only indoor dining to finish the trip out. Both because covid but also, as it turns out after discussion, my teens are a lot less interested in the dining opportunities than I am :wink:.

1 Like

This was very, very helpful. Thank you!

2 Likes

Anyone have NyQuil Chicken on their “The 2020s Oddities” bingo card?

5 Likes

TL;DR:

Latest on Paxlovid:

Link to the detailed analysis thread, including link to study:
https://twitter.com/michaelzlin/status/1576764552749801472?s=46&t=7rGoQHvLGpmlglcdAg7hHw

I didn’t read the study, just Lin’s take on it. A few of my takeaways:

1. For those for whom Pax is recommended, there is a very clear risk reduction, even if they are vaxxed/boosted.
  2. Being vaxxed/boosted is still the better first-line approach in terms of both cost and benefit (don’t just rely on Pax in lieu of vax)
  3. This is regardless of whether “pax rebound” is a significant thing. It’s still preventing severe disease/hospitalizations in those eligible.
  4. Whether it would have benefits to the rest of the population is likely dependent on whether it reduces the risk of Long Covid, which hasn’t been determined yet.
7 Likes

Well if it’s in TikTok you know it’s a dumb idea.

5 Likes

That sounds revolting :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

Everything you never thought you’d want to know about variant naming in a nutshell:
https://twitter.com/tryangregory/status/1576945959824523264?s=46&t=Yl4g9dwmNDXtx41mr8tvHQ

Which brings us to the current state of things:

More here:
https://twitter.com/tryangregory/status/1577617059525140480?s=46&t=Yl4g9dwmNDXtx41mr8tvHQ

5 Likes

CO2 Monitoring Update - commuter edition (& pics)

I had my first true crowded rush hour commute and readings were better than expected.

Times Square subway platform, crowded: ~650

NYC Subway, uncrowded: 1100+.
I let one train pass b/c it would been shoulder to shoulder inside and probably a lot higher than 1100. It was only a few minutes til the next one.

NJ transit commuter bilevel train, moderately crowded: ~1400

Train was pretty full, with most seats filled, but no standees.

Secaucus junction train station, uncrowded: ~450

The Secaucus rotunda is my indoor low reading champion, with consistent readings below 500. I think it’s because it has an immensely high ceiling (50’), and very low density. Nobody lingers, they just pass through. You could probably fit 500 people in there and there’s rarely more than 50 at any one time, but they probably sized the ventilation system for 500. Result: I take my N95 off and eat my snack with peace of mind while waiting for my train.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Remember how I asked about the flu vaccine in August and the pediatrician suggested waiting?

Guess which household already has had the flu?

Oddly enough, Flu B, the first case she’s seen this year.

DD’s only symptom - a sore throat - was on the heels of her brother having strep throat, or I wouldn’t have taken her to the doctor at all.

6 Likes

Thanks for these regular readings!

We are pretty much running as precovid, but I wouldn’t get on a plane/busy transit without a solid mask.

6 Likes