Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Sigh. This is the school district just west of us.

3 Likes

DS and I both got our boosters today at CVS. I had DH booked for tomorrow at one CVS nearby. They cancelled it today. So I booked another one for tomorrow at a different CVS. Not more than 10 minutes later, they cancelled that one. Hopefully 3rd time is a charm. He’s now scheduled for Sunday at a 3rd CVS. No cancellation yet.

5 Likes

What’s with that? OMG!

2 Likes

Luckily lots of CVSs to choose from! If this one gets cancelled, I’m booking at Walgreens instead.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Basic info on next ACIP meeting has been released.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/09/16/2022-20045/advisory-committee-on-immunization-practices-acip

I’m hoping this will include under 12 bivalent boosters. And maybe an adult Novavax booster?

I’m hoping @bt62897 ’s DH could get a Novavax booster?

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering about novavax! It wasn’t approved for a booster initially as you know. Thank you so much for this very helpful update on the ACIP meeting. We will keep this on our radar fo sure!

3 Likes

Now’s y’all’s chance!

3 Likes

I have a friend who lives in London and just joined the queue about an hour ago. He’s not sure he’ll last but wanted to try.

5 Likes

Ok, let’s talk about monkeypox. We’ll start with the good news. The US is clearly past the surge peak.

The not-so-good news.

1. We’ve had our first confirmed US death, in California. (I believe the one here in Texas is still pending a final determination of cause of death.)
    First U.S. Monkeypox Death Confirmed in California

2. There seems to be an assumption this will now just peter out? I’m just not sure there is data to support that. Remember, there were many that assured us back in May that there was no historical evidence of sustained human-to-human transmission and this was highly likely to be completely gone in the US by mid-June. That obviously is not what happened. I’m hopeful there will be no future surges, but I’m not feeling very confident of that, especially if this surge was curtailed by temporary changes in behavior and vaccinations in a very narrow demographic. Lots of speculation about potential for future surges vs ongoing low level lurking of cases vs it just completely petering out.

Things to know:

1. Here is a good FAQ from Harris County, which has recorded 739 cases, so they have been in the thick of it.
    https://publichealth.harriscountytx.gov/Portals/27/Documents/FAQs_1P_MPX_2022.pdf?ver=wQlGLyMJqDJplWhJRBwurg%3D%3D

2. The above includes our current local vax eligibility guidelines, which seem to be fairly representative of what is being used across the country.

3. If this is an area of high interest for you, Andy Slavitt has 3 really good podcasts on the topic in late July and August.

1. Points of interest from the above podcasts:

The original plan to contain it through “ring vaccination” (vaccination of those exposed) didn’t pan out. Contact tracing was unable to identify transmission chains, there just wasn’t enough testing happening, and now it’s all scattered about.

They then moved on to vaccinating the highest probability demographics, stretching the doses by switching how it is administered.

There seems to be fairly widespread agreement with this approach. It should allow them to get the initially targeted demographics vaccinated by the end of September. There is discussion about whether the next demographic of concern to move on to would be sexually active high school and college students (regardless of gender/orientation). There is also a concern about close physical contact sports, such as high school wrestling.

While a treatment exists, people have really been struggling to get it. Apparently it is designated as an “IND”, which involves huge amounts of bureaucratic hurdles, but they made some change in mid-August so hopefully that’s gotten better. Links:

I’m only keeping up with monkeypox at a fairly high level, so if anyone gets in a situation where they know someone that needs treatment or other details and need me to dig deeper on the latest on anything specific, feel free to message me privately.

ETA: One other bit of awareness of vaccinations:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/28/11/22-1215_article

5 Likes

Ok so im behind on the thread. But i get the impression that the free government at home tests i have that expired in August are actually ok to use?

1 Like

Check the manufacturer site for the revised expiration date.

2 Likes

How’re you feeling?

2 Likes

The FDA has a chart here:
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests#list

On a cell phone, you may need to turn your phone sideways to see all the columns.

2 Likes

Co2 Monitoring Update - House of Worship edition

So I have 2 readings to share that illustrate the importance of high ceilings and good HVAC systems.

A) 40’x60’x30’, est.120 people, 75% full, 3 hour service: leveled off at 1500ppm. Purpose built in the 1950’s with a powerful HVAC system.

B) 30’x50’x10’, 20 people, 25% full, 2 hour service: leveled off at 2000. A converted double classroom from the 50’s with 2 retrofitted split AC units.

A has far better ventilation than B given the latter was only 25% full but still had higher readings. It would probably go above 3000 when full which is very high. B does have a pair of air purifier units but they wouldn’t affect the Co2 readings.

4 Likes

I had a sore arm yesterday and felt a little run down, but other than that, pretty good! Same for DS! I planned his for Friday in case he had any side effects he’d have the weekend to recover before he went back to school.

4 Likes

Wa it Moderna or Pfizer l?

Pfizer. I would have taken either one, but Pfizer is what I’ve had all along.

I had read that CVS had a supply issue with Moderna but didn’t know if it was regional.

2 Likes

Our local pharmacy mentioned an issue. But I had no issue booking Moderna at Walgreens que it first came out.

2 Likes