Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Well that sucks. I’ve sold 2 in the last 3 months - same year and model to the same place - and even though the second was in a lot worse condition and had done twice as many miles, I got the same price for it. And they said it was because the value is rising.

3 Likes

Finally, my boyfriend is getting his 1st vaccine tomorrow. Only because I told him we could go see George Thorogood if he does. I’m so relieved! Now all of the adults on our upcoming Disney trip will be fully vaccinated. I’d told him it was unfair and I was embarrassed that he was the only one not. There are 8 adults and 2 kids, so we can do like @amvanhoose_701479 and circle around them.

I’m also excited for the concert…it’s in Charleston, SC, about 4 hours from us and right after my birthday, so it will be a nice little getaway.

12 Likes

6 Likes

I saw this news this AM and told my DH the pandemic will really end if this is what they say it is He was much more pessimistic. We said no to the WDW school trip in spring for our son yesterday and I wanted to change our answer today, but he disagreed so we stayed as a no. To me this tipped the scales of my risk analysis but I guess I can also see his side. He doesn’t want to make a plan and lose money; the school was very honest that we’d potentially lose all the $ even if they cancel without our input.

2 Likes

That’s such a hard decision. And at least they were up front about it. But, yeah, that’s a lot of money to put at risk when it’s not even your call to make.

3 Likes

That is very different than what is happening in the US. Used car value is definitely on the rise here. DH works at a car dealership and since they are having trouble getting new cars due to the chip shortage, their bread and butter is the used car market and they need inventory.

1 Like

Circling back to this since it’s now October 1st!

The Hospitalization curve in Florida looks pretty symmetrical and has been falling quickly:

But it’s not exactly symmetrical - hospitalizations fall slower than they rise (which makes sense since each person stays in the hospital for a number of days, so you can fill up a hospital faster than you can empty it). But not too far off, all things considered. Today, there are 5,785 people in Florida hospitals with Covid, compared to 4,187 on July 16th. The high was 17,380 in mid-to-late August.

Cases are also way down, while deaths appear to have peaked:

Overall, good news for Florida in comparison to the horrific August-September period. Hopefully we will never see another curve like this in Florida, or anywhere else.

3 Likes

Yes, the data looks good in FL right now. :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: for a continued improvement.

2 Likes

We need a diversion on this thread. Field trip report?

We’ve had Alley Theatre season tickets for…over a decade? Anyway, we have preview tickets which means we see the play before opening night. Which is tonight! First play they’ve done since pre-pandemic.

A month ago, I confirmed they are requiring masks so we felt ok about going. Went online this week to confirm that was still the case. And….vax or a negative test also required! Loaded up our vax cards to get pre-cleared in the Bindle app. But first…dinner…

It STORMED this morning, but cleared up great for a beautiful evening eating outside.

9 Likes

They recommended arriving 45 min early. Think there might be a little chaos with the requirements maybe?

We were here 40 min early and of course flew through with our Bindle lightning passes. Grabbed a glass of wine and parked ourselves on a bench to see how this goes. 20 min to curtain. So far, so good.

ETA: That guy scrolled on his phone a VERY long time before looking relieved.

6 Likes

ZERO drama so far. People look SO happy. Like, this one lady did a little happy dance on her way in. I totally feel it.

Alley has a group of about a dozen resident cast (i.e., consistently on payroll) so the season ticket holders have a bit of a relationship with them. So excited to see which of them does the pre-show welcome!

6 Likes

“I know my vaccination card is in here SOMEWHERE!”

(Yes, they both found it. :laughing:)

6 Likes

Yes! Rod and Staff English is a staple in my house. I love it so much. I found out in my late 30’s how much I loved grammar! I learned more via their texts than in my high school, BSN and MSN time!

Now I really want to know where you chose to have dinner! Looks yum.

I’m itching to get back into the theater district.

1 Like

So. Much. Scrolling.

People, favorite the picture of your vax card! They are also matching IDs to vax cards for those that didn’t pre-match in Bindle.

Not supposed to take pics…but…

11 Likes

We only use it for 5th and 6th grades, but I am usually happy with it. Every now and then I scratch my head a little when the lesson is on some point of speaking/writing that my kids with city accents would never fumble over. Easy lesson day those days!

They announced a few weeks ago that most of the local theaters/music/orchestra hall, etc. are doing the “must show vac/test and must still wear masks” even though it’s not required most places here! Promptly want on line and bought tickets for a concert, a play, and an orchestra/dance combo. I am so excited! It’s been so long since I’ve been to anything like that. I wish a few restaurants would do so as well - we only eat outside, and the weather is unlikely to cooperate much longer. But oh - I’m going to a concert next week! :smiley:

7 Likes

One of our favorites!

ONE guy had his mask down on his chin before curtain. He reluctantly pulled it up over his mouth only :roll_eyes: at the recorded announcement.

Creative director did the welcome. Giddy. “You’re the first live audience we’ve had in 18 months!” (They’ve recorded/streamed a few things. For free. Patrons have kept them afloat.)

7 Likes

Add it to the list of places to try next time we are downtown for something. We used to go to church in midtown, but moved pre-covid to the lovely church we attend now where no one believes in wearing masks and a friend told me we’re “maybe the only people I know who haven’t had covid”. :roll_eyes:

I digress. I’m glad you were able to enjoy the first play back! That’s amazing and wonderful.

2 Likes

It really was! Honestly, it’s pretty much the first place I feel like I’ve been to in over a year where they said “here’s what to expect when you get here”, I felt like that was believable, and then it actually matched expectations! And 99% of the people just going with it without acting like it’s some big deal.

I’m so tired of either knowing up front I’m not going to feel good about it, or thinking I am and then it’s not as billed.

The play was excellent. Alley is top notch. And if anyone’s ever in Houston in December, they always do a top notch version of a Christmas Carol. (That’s been the first “real” play each of our kids has attended.)

4 Likes