Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

I’m staying in a timeshare, so had a car, and a day to kill as my friend does not arrive until today. So I hit up the outlet, mall of milllenia & Target. I felt so guilty as the first day I was dead tired due to red eye flight, and wanted to get some food at Trader Joes, so I went there - but forgot my mask at the hotel :woman_facepalming: I know it was not required, but I was so uncomfortable without it :joy:

2 Likes

Hmm. OK. I’ve looked into it. I’m going to drive.

It’ll be a Saturday, so potentially busy. It’s a small, three carriage train that runs back and forth between my town and the city. I don’t actually know if masks are required but I hear compliance is not great and no-one enforces it.

Driving does make more sense.

I will be taking the train to Heathrow Airport on Sunday. But that’s a massive train and I’ll have an individual seat in first class. I wouldn’t expect it to be too busy because people aren’t really headed to London on a Sunday afternoon.

5 Likes

Overall good news on the Delta curve. The wild card is finding out how seasonal Covid is this winter.

More here:

3 Likes

14 Likes

I thought the same thing in August. I figured there would be hardly anyone wearing masks given that it’s not required and I was very (happily) surprised at just how many masks I saw! Given the comments on the Universal chat, I wondered if things had changed that dramatically since August…

2 Likes

I thought this was helpful:

There is more detail and supporting links here:

4 Likes

@amvanhoose_701479 Just saw this article specifically addressing J&J and booster shots. My coworker (who got J&J) and I were just talking about this, so I gave it a google.

4 Likes

New plan.

I’m selling the car. The day before I get my PCR test.

Didn’t see that coming, did you.

8 Likes

I’m laughing so hard :rofl::rofl::rofl:

WTH??? :woman_facepalming:t4:

4 Likes

I like to keep you people on your toes.

I’ve been thinking of selling it for a while. I’ve used it four times since I bought it in June 2020. I bought it to do holidays during COVID times. Now that I’m headed back to WDW, those times are over. Next stop October 2021, then August 2022.

My October trip is eye-wateringly expensive. My bank balance will look prettier with car money in it.

6 Likes

Yeah, I read those comments from the ACIP meeting and had seen several places in San Francisco are giving out mRNA boosters to any J&J recipients. I’ve definitely been thinking about it (since mid-July, really).

DH, DD20, her BF, and I all got J&J.

They all had Covid in January, though, so that might be roughly the equivalent of an additional dose (mild cases though, so likely not quite that much protection). So I feel pretty ok with them waiting on the official guidance a bit longer.

I’ve been on the fence about myself since I didn’t have Covid. If I had more risk factors (age 51, overweight but not obese), I’d likely have gotten one already.

I would definitely be a prime candidate for a “we have an extra dose we’re just going to discard” program.

I’m actually glad I didn’t already get an additional dose yet though since J&J recently released data that waiting 6 months for a booster has huge benefits over getting one at 2 months. (I got my J&J 3/11 so am not much past the 6 month mark.).

They are also currently doing mix-and-match vaccine studies, so if that data comes out soon, it might be optimal to see that to know which vaccine to get as a booster. I think I’m setting a personal deadline along the lines of “get a booster at 8 months using the best available info” if official guidance isn’t out yet.

It’s hard to know what to do though. Our family is being cautious where we can (except for the obvious optional-masking school gap). If community transmission goes down far enough here to relax that, I might go ahead and get a booster at that point.

4 Likes

Could you do all the paperwork to sell it but not drop it off until after your Covid test outing? :thinking:

2 Likes

But why sell it then?!

1 Like

The article seemed to really be pushing mRNA boosters for J&J recipients. Interesting.

My coworker had a mild case of COVID around Thanksgiving last year. Her husband did not get it, but recently had a breakthrough infection contracted at work. So now they’ve both had a mild case in addition to their J&J shot, but she is still very concerned.

2 Likes

Well, because I don’t really use it and owning it costs money in tax and insurance and maintenance. And it’s value is dropping.

Really?? My car has went up in value recently thanks to Covid and the microchip shortage.

That said, you should get a decent price for it, so it’s a good time to sell if you’re planning to anyway.
Maybe not the day before you need it though :woman_facepalming:t4::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s almost like he likes creating angst…oh, wait… :thinking:

4 Likes

Fair enough, I’m sure that day will make all the difference :joy: @Shmebulock is right, the value of used cars is going up but who knows how long it will last.

1 Like

DH and I just got our Pfizer booster shot and the flu shot. We’re 65. Trying to get the Covid vaccine now is soooo much easier than last winter, when Arizona (we’re snowbirds) opened up shots for our age Feb 1 (could start booking appointment Jan 19). Last winter we’d practice, then pounce at the opening time (like ROTR BG). But now, we could get them at our doctor’s clinic with just a phone call - or even walk-up. It was so nice to not have to go to a big third-party pharmacy (and hassle with paperwork or medical records not connecting). We didn’t have any side effects with the previous shots, and don’t expect any this time.

6 Likes

7 Likes