Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Is there a clear difference between Jen’s experiences and those of her husband, i.e. has vaccination unambiguously been a benefit to her?

So, what’s the scoop on why UK cases stopped declining? What the dominant thinking over your side of the pond?

1 Like

Yes. She describes it as a sinus infection or cold symptoms, although she does have some shortness of breath. He has 104 fever, low oxygen, like can’t even get out of bed. She took him back to the ER because he was turning purple at home.

1 Like

My state is highly vaccinated, my rural area (total over 12) is not. A few reasons people here give for not getting the vaccine that I’ve not seen mentioned:

“More people have died from the vaccine than Covid. Don’t you read VAERS?”
“My essential oils will protect me.”

In our small community, a married couple and the husband’s mother all passed from Covid the same week. None were vaccinated. They believed that they were protected by their faith.

Well, Delta has reached my workplace. Someone tested positive after feeling symptoms on Friday night (he is vaccinated). The rest of the team that sits near him went home upon hearing the news today and many are getting tested. I’m hoping we don’t get any more positive tests but at least we are all well versed in working from home.

8 Likes

Fairly even-handed article

3 Likes

We were planning an overnight trip to our local waterpark, Schlitterbahn, and my DD14’s friend was unvaccinated. We are all vaccinated but we were traveling with my senior parents (also vaccinated) and wanted to be safe. We asked the DD’s friend to get vaccinated and her mother refused stating that it would make her infertile so add that to your list. On the positive side her dad stepped in and told her mom she was being ridiculous and had pulled that out of her a$$ and friend got vaccinated. So we’ve made at least a little bit of difference with our insistence I suppose and we all had fun at the waterpark. Been a week and noone is sick but that’s all outdoors obviously so a bit less risk that indoor theme park.

7 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of Yahoo news, but this article was interesting. That was the one specific thing they mentioned as being an impactful approach:

“Millen said family members can make a big difference. It’s especially effective to limit in-person gatherings with unvaccinated family until they get the shots, she said.”

It looks like participation mandates (whether they be social circles, employers, businesses, etc) is what it is going to take. Data doesn’t seem to be doing it adequately.

3 Likes

The past waves our city has been able to send adults to the children’s hospital, but they can’t take any this time.

While I’ve been hearing stories of people sitting in ERs for days because there are not any available beds, my own FIL sat in the ER for days waiting for a bed in early June when cases were low. I’m so thankful that his hospital stay was short and he was home before all this chaos. But it’s a real indicator to me at how hospitals generally run at capacity and covid takes them beyond what they can handle well.

2 Likes

Our 10 year old goes back to school tomorrow with optional masks. She is leaving the house with one, which is as far as we can guarantee that she will comply with our wishes for her to wear one. Oh, and remote learning is no longer offered in our district.

I’ve been completely stressing about whether we keep our HS day this Saturday because of the virus. I’m finally realizing that WDW isn’t going to be the big problem in our lives. It’s going to be the 5-10% mask compliance we saw at back-to-school night. Might as well head to Disney, wear our masks, eat outside, and hope for the best.

Vaccines for <12 cannot come fast enough.

9 Likes

Yeah, I can see that. It’s a social FOMO combined with with family pressure to change her mind based on poor evidence to support her claim. So this girl’s mom was persuaded by her separated husband because her daughter wanted to not be left of out of a fun event. I’ll call it a win since we got that ball rolling and now one more teen in my daughter’s school might make a teeny bit of difference in a school of 1700+ students. Sigh…how many more do I need to take on a vacation to convince? :wink:

3 Likes

Could it be a delay in reporting? That happens here often enough. That is why I like to look at the actual epi curve vs. date reported.

Also, yes, YLE I think was me. I’ve been following her since very very early on.

3 Likes

Amen. I hope the letter the American Academy of Pediatrics sent to the FDA makes a difference with their perceived timeline.

6 Likes

We are taking a friend of DD21 to DLR with us later this month, but I insisted she get vaccinated. I just texted DD to make sure she is scheduled for her second dose. it should be coming up quick.

1 Like

So if we all band together and take a person on our trips that’s unvaccinated telling them they can only go if they get vaccinated can we conquer the unvaccinated that are hesitant? :wink: We are going with friends in Oct to DLR but they have all been vaccinated except the 8yo of course.

6 Likes

That could be a lot of Disney trips … but I will sacrifice myself for the greater good. :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Right?!?

2 Likes

We had “packet pickup” today for the DS11s. Masking among both families and staff was probably 40%. Their middle school is just 5th & 6th grade, so normal enrollment timeline is the 6th graders will just start turning 12 on September 1st.

Ours will be wearing KN95s, at least until they’re fully vaccinated and/or we get to the other side of Delta.

Knowing the exposure they are likely to get at school, it’s really tempting to throw in the towel on mitigation. :persevere:

We’ve decided to let them do at-school extracurriculars but nothing outside of that, to at least reduce the population pool they are interacting with. Try not to carry any spread outside the school and our household.

2 Likes

YLE doesn’t seem to think so. Apparently it’s not just the UK:
“Unfortunately, on a global scale, countries that seemed to peaked with Delta are increasing again. What this means for the United States is unclear.”

2 Likes

We could speculate :frowning: and it’s not positive :frowning:

1 Like